Non-Erotic Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed}

I was angry; I was hurt, I was furious. Just a year back, I dreamt of that moment to spend with him.

I held his hand and pushed that aside and yelled at him---“WHAT are you doing? Leave me.”

He rubbed his fingers on my cheeks. My cream cheeks were smeared with red coloured powder.

“Come on Mita. It is just a festival of colours. Everyone drown themselves in the colour of their life.” He joked at me and tried to pursue me.

“Please don’t do this type of tricks with me.” There was quiver in my voice when I said those words to him. He did not understand the underlying pain of my heart.

He looked in my eyes, contracted his brows---“There is something inside which I am missing. One day I will definitely try to get that Suchismita out of Mita.”

I shook my head and told to myself “No one can bring out the real Suchismita from Mita, except him. Only he can unveil his Paree. Else ……”

I asked him---“Can I ask you one question?”

He smiled at me and said---“I am ready to give any answer Mita. Just ask.”

---“Why haven’t you courted Teesta, when you were in college.”

He was surprised by my question. He was not expecting that from me.

He gave a queer look at me and asked---“I didn’t expect this question from you. I thought of something else.”

I shook my head and told to myself “I know what you were anticipating.”

Still I asked him again---“Why haven’t you courted Teesta, when you liked her very much?”

He shook his head and faced away---“No that is past. She did not understand my underlying love. She always thought that those were mere friendly gestures.”

“So you have a soft corner still in your heart for her?” Suddenly I threw that question to him.

He shook his head again---“Come on! That is past. It will not come back to me again. I want to see my future in front of my open eyes.”

He looked into my deep dark eyes and expressed his apologies for hurting me. He asked me to wash my face. Before leaving for home, I washed my face in the restroom.

No colours other than his; should be on my face or in me.

The summers were approaching. Every day I walked down a lonely barren road; bereft of any shades. I remembered the first day, I stepped into his domain. I came to his house, to live with ChotoMa. On that day, I thought that I entered the house forever. On that day, I was not aware of the fact that after few months we would get separated.

I was prepared to leave my college after the classes were over. I thought to take a walk alone through the lanes between the bookshops.

While I walked through those lanes and by lanes between those bookshops of College Street, I remembered that he told me that there were “Eight thousand six hundred and twenty two book shops here.” I smiled on remembering those words.

I was very much engrossed in my thoughts as I walked.

I was about to cross the street when I was pulled out of the street by someone.

Debobroto yelled at me---“What are you doing? You would have been killed.”

I regained my senses. A speeding bus just crossed few centimeters away from me. I gave a horrific look at him. My heart thumped loud. I tried to catch my breath by clasping my chest.

“Do you have any sense when you cross the road? Do you want to die?” he kept shouting at me.

I looked at him with my big eyes.

After I regained my composure I told him---“God is not to so merciful to take me away.”

He held my upper arm in his grip and pulled me on the footpath.

---“I want to talk to you in length and breadth.”

I contracted my brows and asked---“What do you want to know? I have nothing to tell you. Why can’t you leave me alone? Please.”

He loosened his grip and nodded his head---“Ok. So I am not your friend. Right?”

The bunch of lock came over my face. I moved that bunch away, tucked that tuft behind my right ear, and said---“You are definitely my friend. But Debobroto, I have nothing to say to you.”

He gave a painful look at me. I was unable to look at his face so I looked down to hide my pains which were about to drip from the corner of my eyes. There was huge vacuum inside my chest. I tried to fill that vacuum with a deep breath.

I could sense that Debobroto was trying to delve in my domain. He wanted to see my smiling face or to come closer to me. But I kept myself well confined in a high wall. I did not let any fresh air to dwell in my heart.

Just before the summer break in May, one night I gathered all my courage to call Suprotim Da to know about him. If he would have called him then they would have discussed about me.

I dialed the number and Ritika picked up.

First reaction of Ritika---“How are you doing? I heard that you are getting married?”

“No” I almost screamed, “Those were words of Babu only. Not mine.”

I pressed my phone to my ears, clutched the front fabric of my night gown, and asked her.

---“Has he called? Is there any news of him?”

Ritika paused for a second and then answered---“Yes he called few days ago. He was still in Israel.”

My heart experienced an intense thump. He has called so he was surely concerned about me.

My voice got choked as I asked her---“What did he say?”

I closed my eyes, bit my lower lips under my upper jaws, and stopped breathing.

---“He will contact you somehow. He will not be calling to your landline. If he calls next time I will give him your mobile number.”

My eyes got flooded as I heard her say that he has not lost his faith. My voice quivered, I expressed my humble gratitude to her.

She sensed that from my sobbing sounds---“Don’t cry, Paree. He did not believe a single word of your Babu. That was an agonizing reaction when he left India. Every person’s first reaction would be like that, Paree. Try to understand his feelings also. But he called only once after he left India, I don’t know when he will call again.”

I bit my lower lips and lay on the bed on my back. I pressed my phone on my lips and kissed.

---“I am very, very thankful to you.”

I wanted to know as where he was working so I asked---“What is he doing?”

She answered---“He is in IT industry. Currently he is working in a junior engineer post. The way he is devoting all his strength, he will surely climb up the ladder very fast.”

The vacuum went away from my heart. I smiled peacefully just by knowing that he was there standing alone with his open arms to greet me.

I was roaming inside Arcadia walking on a green path, surrounded by lots of flowers. The aroma of rose and dew drops were purifying the breeze around me. I could hear the sweet chirps of nightingales, bulbuls, Loras and waxwings around me. I saw a milky white unicorn trotting slowly towards me from the bend of the path ahead. I was dressed in a free flowing white silk robe with flowers on my head and wrist. My jade black long tress was flowing all along the path behind me. My bangles and necklace all were made up of flowers of white and red in colour. I could feel my huge translucent colourful wings flutter on my back.

I tried to fly, I tried to flutter my wings with all my strength, but there was some invisible force that bonded me with the green grass. I looked at my ankles; a green rope of grass was tied to my ankles. The unicorn was approaching me very slowly. I cried out to the Unicorn “Cut the grass rope. I want to fly with you.”

I woke up, I was sweating profusely. My bosoms were heaving. A huge torrential storm just passed inside my chest. I lost myself in the dream again, “What was that?”

I heard a knock on my door. ChotoMa’s frightened voice could be heard from the other end of the door---“SOHNA MA… what happened?”

I was panting very hard. I tried to catch breath and to answer her utter concerned query.

I opened the door; the soft light of dawn was flooding the drawing room.

I said her---“Nothing ChotoMa, just a bad dream.”

She rubbed my face, wiped my forehead with the loose end of her sari. Affectionate concerns were dripping from her sleepy eyes.

“I told you not to shut the door, Paree.” She sobbed out.

I came back to my bed. I thought of the dream. When I was able to decipher the underlying meaning of that dream, I sat there in sheer horror. I turned to a stone statue. Tears rolled down. I looked out of the window. The soft rays of dawn were dancing near my feet. Stone cold feet of the fairy who tried to fly but could not. I would never be able to know whether that Unicorn was able to free the fairy or not. I would never be able to know whether that fairy flew from Arcadia or remained there as an ivory effigy.

The ten ounce heart rolled; rolled over the plains, rolled over the mountains, rolled over by the bank of the rivers, rolled under those high pine and cedar trees.

Rolled over and over, so as to gather no moss.

Chapter 7: Story of the thief

-------------------------------

The summer break was around the corner.

One day; during the dinner ChotoMa asked me---“I was thinking of going to some hill-station this summer break. Which place would you prefer, Paree?”

I took a deep breath and looked at ChotoMa. I shook my head---“I don’t want to goto any hill-station.”

“Why?” Babu asked, “You love hills.”

“Yes I do love hills. He made me love hills. If he is not with me, then the flowers also sting as thorn to me.” I did not say those words to him. Instead I answered---“I would like to spend time with my Mom.”

ChotoMa nodded her head and said “Ok, next year we would surely take a trip to some hill-station. Preferably Kausani or Naninital or beyond that.”

I veiled my agony inside my chest and asked---“Do I have to go with you next year?” I joked at them---“Now you two should go alone and enjoy the old times.”

Babu said---“You are the only child I have now. How could we leave you alone here?”

Does his voice choked while saying those words? Probably no.

---“If you don’t want to go then we also won’t go anywhere.”

The dining time became heavy with emotions. I did not want to go to hill-stations without him. ChotoMa and Babu will not leave me alone and enjoy any trip.

To break the running emotions, I said playfully---“ChotoMa. Next year we will go to some hill-station.”

She smiled at me---“That’s my child.”

I asked ChotoMa in childish voice---“ChotoMa I want a walkman.”

Babu told me in his affectionate tone---“Why walkman? It is small, ShonaMa. If you love to hear songs, then on next birthday we will buy you a thousand watt Sony deck.”

I felt like hugging Babu and kiss his bald head.

He sensed what I meant to express and he laughed at ChotoMa---“See, my daughter is smiling again.”

I was happy again, but there was an underlying fear that crept parallel to that joy inside my heart. Days passed there were no calls neither there was any letters. However, I did not lose my hope.

I went to my native place during my summer break. That time Babu went with me. He told me that he want to visit my native place after a long time. I was very much uncomfortable to go with Babu as he was a very calm and quiet person, although he loved me very much.

All the way to my native place, Babu was very quiet. I could not fathom what all was going inside his head.

We reached my native place by the evening. My Mom was surprised to find Babu along with me. She was flabbergasted to find him at her doorsteps. The whole house rumbled on his arrival.

Especially Maithili and Meghna Boudi were unable to understand as how to show concern. I was all smiling inside my heart by observing their restlessness.

I told my Mom---“Ma, he is only my Babu. Why are you all feeling so restless?”

My Mom said to me---“He is a respectable person.”

---“I know Ma.”

“He has come to my house after long, long time” Her voice was filled up with gratitude.

Babu looked at my Mom and said---“I have come to discuss few things with you.”

Suddenly a gush of blood raced to my head. I gave a pleading look at Babu “Please don’t devastate my life.” I clutched my Mom’s arms and whispered to her ears---“What are you going to discuss?”

She looked at me and assured me---“Don’t worry. He has come to discuss something for your better only.”

She called Sumanto Da and Shasanko Da.

Both Meghna Boudi and Maithili asked Babu---“This discussion can happen tomorrow also.”

Babu smiled at them---“No. Dear.” He joked---“This is after all my in-laws house. I can’t spend a night here.”

Mom veiled her pains and said to him---“Arjun. Do not say those words at least. We can surely talk about that tomorrow morning.”

He said---“Tomorrow morning I have some work. So I have to return tonight.”

They all went inside a room. I went to my room to keep my luggage. All the time they were discussing, whatever be it, I was having huge turbulence inside my chest---“What if Babu talks about my marriage? What if Babu speaks about him and our affair?”

I silently sat on my bed, looked outside the window. It was dark outside.

Maithili knocked at my door---“May I come in?”

After a long, long time she spoke to me.

I smiled back at her. I asked her---“How are you doing?”

She smiled back---“Am doing fine. How about you?”

I veiled my anxiety as what could be her intentions and told her---“My College is going good. I have lots of friends. My studies are going well.”

She sat beside me and placed her palm on mine---“I am not asking about your college, Paree.”

I looked at her. There was no sight of revenge or anger in her eyes. It was filled up with affectionate love. Her gaze melted my heart.

My chest quivered a bit. Bosoms heaved. I asked her---“What do you want to know?”

She placed her palm on my cheek and I went jelly inside my chest. I pressed her palm on my cheeks to feel her warmth.

“How is he?” she asked.

“He is fine. He is in New Delhi.” when I answered that, I knew by my heart that he was fine.

I was skeptical at that point of time “Should I tell her about the mess that happened? Should I ask her for help? What if she was playing with me? Only he could duel with hers venomous captivity.”

She talked on about her days in my house. We chatted for long time. But I didn’t mention anything of our mess as what had happened. I concealed that.

After sometime, my Mom came to my room and informed me that Babu was leaving.

I came downstairs. He had finished his dinner already.

He told me that my ChotoMa would come to take me back after the summer break. I bent to touch his feet before he left.

I asked him---“What have you told to my Mom and brothers?”

He placed his palm on my head and said---“Whatever it was, it was for your future and it was for your well being. Your Mom will tell you in details.”

After dinner I went to my Mom’s room and asked her---“What has Babu told to you all?”

She was folding her beetle leaf. She looked at me ---“Your Babu loves you very much. Right?”

“Yes” I nodded my head.

---“He came to ask that whether our property has been mutated or not.”

My first reaction was that, “Was he a mean person eyeing my property? After all he was not my father.” I asked her---“What that to do with him?”

---“He wanted to know, if this property is mutated or not and do you have any share, which you have. He wanted to sell that part and deposit the whole amount in a fixed-deposit in your name. So that if you want to pursue further studies or after your marriage, your future could be secured.”

A deep breadth came out of my chest, a huge boulder moved. Sometimes I failed to understand properly my Babu and ChotoMa. Were they over concerned about me or every parents are like that about their daughters?

I was about to goto bed, Dushtu entered my room. He gave an annoying look at me.

I walked to him, patted his soft chubby cheeks, and asked him as what happened?

His voice was quiet upset---“Why Abhi uncle didn’t come?”

I ruffled his hair and smiled at him---“Oh! Due to that only you are angry?”

“Yes” he looked at me as if he would burn me then and there. “I will not talk to you.”

I laughed and pulled him on my lap---“Come on. I also know very good stories, all about prince and princess.”

He shook his juvenile head in displease---“I know all the stories of prince and princess. I want to hear new stories.”

I told to myself “From where could I bring your Abhi uncle, dear. I am also searching for him.”

Next day morning, I went to Kalyani’s house. I wanted my “Optics Notebook” badly.

She gave a surprising look at my beaming face---“When did you reached here? You are looking different this time, have got any news of Abhi?”

I felt like dancing with her. My lungs was about to burst to express my feelings that he would try to communicate with me anyhow.

I held her hand in my grip and said to her---“I called Ritika. He called them and said that he didn’t believe a single word what Babu said to him. He will try to contact me.”

I outstretched my arms and twirled. I almost screamed in joy---“I am very happy that he has not lost his faith on me.”

Her eyes dazzled on hearing my words. She looked at me and gently patted my cheeks.

---“You naughty girl! Full of emotions. Your life is just like a roller-coaster.”

She handed me my “Optics Notebook”. I pressed that diary to my chest and tried to drown every word written in that in my blood and flesh.

“What are you going to do with this?” she asked me.

I told her---“Now I will write.”

From that night, I started writing my memoirs in that “Optics Notebook.” He was good in English, I wrote my memoirs in Bengali. At times, I felt hard to understand his words. I had to look into “Webster Dictionary” that Babu bought for me.

I wrote about my days, after he left. I wrote about my college days. My anxieties, my faiths, about my friends and lots more. That night I wrote everything I experienced in last ten months. With every sentence I wrote, I told to myself “I will read this to you when we get old.”

When I finished writing about those past ten months, the dawn was approaching the east horizon. When I fell asleep, I did not know. I slept on the writing table.

I woke up when I heard a knock on my door. I opened my eyes and found me on the writing table with that “Optics Notebook” still opened. I hurriedly kept that along with my other books.

I did not want that to be seen by any persons, who might cause problem in our love.

After demise of Parvati Boudi, Sumanto Da talked very less with persons. He does not have any children so he tried to shower all his love to the only child in the house, Dushtu. Every evening he used to bring sweets after he returned from fields. He used to take him of his shoulders and take him to the fields.

One night he came to my room. I was reading my notes and preparing few papers for my next exam. He knocked on my door. I looked over my shoulder as I was sitting in front of the table with my back towards the door. There was a wooden box in his hand. I remembered that box, that box contained all the gold jewelries of her beloved wife.

I asked him---“What is this?”

“Your sister-in-law asked me to give this to you.” His looked at me and said.

He came near me and placed his palm on my head. He wiped the corner of his eyes and handed me the box.

I asked him---“What are you going to do? You look very sullen and tired.”

He gave a blank look at the ceiling fan which was circling at its full speed over head.

---“I have thought of something. I am waiting for your marriage.”

I bit the pen between my teeth and looked at his eyes. “What was he thinking?” I tried hard to understand those hidden pain and waited anxiously for his answer.

He smiled painfully at me and went away, leaving me in deep thought “What was he going to do?”

Days passed, Mom asked me every day about him. One day I asked her as why she was so much concerned about him.

She answered---“Why can’t I be? After all he is my best grandson. By the way, every time I ask you about him, you try to dodge the question. Where is he?”

I looked the other side and said to her---“He has gone to Delhi.” I was bit annoyed as everyone asked me the same question again and again. “How could I know, where he was? Even I was waiting for some news.”

My Mom said to me---“Ok, I have not heard his voice for a long, long time. Why don’t you call him? I want to talk to him.”

I held my breath “What should I tell her now?”

Very slowly, I turned my face; my Mom’s gaze was piercing me. I muttered some courage to answer her---“He is actually out of India.”

She touched my cheeks and asked---“You are telling the truth or hiding something.”

I calmed down myself---“No I am telling the truth. If he calls next time I will let him know your number and ask him to call you.”

Although I was not sure that time that what type of communication would I receive from him.

I thought to know the reaction of my Mom about my love, whether she would approve our relation or not. But I was skeptical about asking the question directly. If he would have been there, he would surely managed the situation and give me some hints as how to approach. Since he was not there so I started to think like him. I had to twist the query to know my mother’s reaction.

I took a deep breath; my chest was pulsating faster than usual. I sat beside my Mom and hugged her.

She asked me---“What happened to my Paree? Do you want to ask me something?”

I shook my head “Yes Mom”.

She looked at my face and said---“Tell me one thing, did your Babu had a fight with Abhimanyu?”

I was taken aback by her query. “Did she sensed something about us or did Babu tell her something?”

Suddenly my heartbeat stopped---“Why are you asking this?”

---“I asked your Babu about Abhimanyu. He did not answer my questions. He only said that Abhimanyu has gone to New Delhi for his job and he is very busy now-a-days.”

I held my breath, my ears turned red. I clasped my night gown in a tight fist to control my angst and anxiety.

I controlled my voice---“No Ma, they didn’t had any fight. He has gone for his job after his graduation.”

She put the beetle in her mouth---“He could have searched for job in Kolkata. Why he had to goto Delhi?”

“You won’t understand Ma.” I embraced her with my arms around her neck “In Kolkata there is no IT, I mean computer organization where he could find any proper job. That’s why he has gone to Delhi.”

She rubbed her palms on my cheek and asked---“You were to ask me something. What was that?”

I forgot what I was to ask, instead I asked her---“Ma, what did he told you on the last day. Last time he came with me.”

Her brows contracted and she looked at me as if asking, “Why do you want to know that?”

She pulled up my chin and her eyes pierced deep into my soul---“Tell me the truth that he has not left for Delhi only for his job.”

The bubble busted inside my chest. I could feel the tremble inside my heart and soul. My ears turned red and the nose tip fluttered. My lips quivered. No child can hide anything from their mother’s sight.

I bit my lower lips as my eyes got flooded. I closed my eyes to hear her reactions. She placed her palm on my head and pressed it to her shoulder. I hugged Mom with all my strength.

She understood everything as my tears soaked her shoulder. She let those tears flow. My back heaved. She pulled me slowly to her front and asked me to sleep with her that night.

I placed my head on her lap and she combed my braids with her old fingers.

---“Something is very hard to accept Paree. I wanted to see you happy. But that would come like this, I never dreamt of.”

She rubbed her soothing palm over my heaving back and continued---“There are many things that our society finds it hard to accept.”

I sobbed out---“What shall I do Ma?”

---“Time will heal. You have to accept what is to come.”

I cried out softly---“Why Ma, why? I accepted whatever came in life without any question. I never blamed you or my sisters, for being indifferent with me.”

She was quiet for a long time. Then she said---“I need some time to think, Paree. I am unable to think anything now.”

I almost screamed at her---“No ma I want to know now. What shall I do?”

She combed my braids and asked me to goto sleep. I could not sleep that night. Then my Mom was also aware of the whole fact. I was living in a shear anxiety as what would happen next. What if Mom doesn’t approve? What if she asks ChotoMa directly as what had happened? Several thousands of queries ran inside my chest.

I also sensed that my Mom was also unable to sleep. She turned and tossed on the bed.

The dawn was round the horizon. She turned towards me---“You haven’t slept for the whole night.”

“No how could I?” I answered in a calm voice.

“I think your ChotoMa and Babu is very much offended about the incident. They are furious as of now.” She sat up on the bed and looked outside.

The twilight of the dawn peeked behind those mango-groves.

She went on---“You finish your M.Sc. now. Let Abhimanyu contact you. Let me give sometime and give sometime to them also. Time heals lots of pains. Gradually you will understand and your ChotoMa will also understand. You need to understand her pains also. She let her only son to wander in this cruel world so that you could pursue your studies. Let the proper time come. ”

I wiped my face and spoke in a calm voice---“ChotoMa and Babu love me very much and that I know by my heart. But she won’t let down her prestige and her ego.”

She let out a deep breath and looked at my face---“Paree, there is no medicine better than time. Time heals every scar; internal or external. You promise me, that till your M.Sc. is finished you are not going to say any word about this. We can’t change our fate, but we can try. After you finish M.Sc. and he comes back to India. Ask him to meet me. Then I will see what I can do.”

I hugged my Mom with all my strength. She was huge pillar of support for me. I cried and cried.

Her eyes were also flooded. She sobbed out---“I should have understand that day only, when he came in my Puja room asked me for my doll.”

She patted my cheeks and kissed my forehead---“Now smile and promise to keep quiet till your studies are finished.”

I was very much happy after that day, my Mom approved our relation. I got the strength to fight. My heart was filled up with utter happiness. Lost colours came back on my face. I felt my creamy cheeks to turn rosy with every passing day. The huge vacuum was gone from my chest.

One evening I was walking near the fields adjacent to my backyard. The mango trees were full of ripe yellow mangoes and few green ones. Jackfruits were dangling from the tree trunk. The pink bulbous litchis were beautifying the trees around me. The mixed aroma of all the fruits were making me intoxicated. The cold breeze was blowing from the pond nearby. I walked slowly towards the mango tree he planted. My hair was blown all over my face as soon as I touched the tree. I felt his touch on my cheek. I looked up the tree; greenish yellow mangoes were all over there behind those leaves. I wrapped my arms around that tree and kissed the trunk.

I whispered to its trunk---“He is coming for you.”

After that response from my Mom, I was in seventh heaven. I suppressed my feelings very hard inside my chest. I did not want to spill those excitements to all over the place. I wanted the time to arrive.

Maithili also felt that my face had regained all those lost smile.

One evening I was on the roof, eating a mango. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked over my shoulder and found Maithili stood behind me.

She smiled sweetly at me and asked---“You are looking very happy.”

“Why can’t I be happy?” I contracted my brows “I have come to my house. So I am happy.”

She asked---“Seems that you have got news of Abhimanyu.”

I nodded my head---“Yes.” I lied to her purposefully.

---“I have something to ask you.”

I was anticipating that question from a long time, so I nodded my head “Ask.”

She looked towards her feet---“Your brother was asking about the tape. Is that still with you?”

I laughed inside by observing her coy face---“No, it is not with me. It is with him.”

I touched her shoulder---“Why are you worrying about those.”

She smiled painfully at me---“I fear his arrogant nature.”

---“What do you want me to do?”

Her eyes were still at her feet, she was scratching the roof with her toes---“Ask him what does he wants from us?”

I looked the other way and said her---“He is currently out of India. Whenever he will call me I ask him. By the way, you remember what you were told.”

She nodded her head.

I assured her---“Next time he contacts me, I will give him the telephone number of our house. You can directly talk to him.”

A strong sense of courage was flooding in my chest after my Mom assured me.

Every night before I went to bed, Dushtu would come and ask me for a story. I used to read him those nonsense poems written by him. He used to laugh. He used to ask me as who has written those poems. I told him that his Abhi uncle wrote those poems and stories when he was young.

Days passed. The summer break was coming to an end.

In the mean time, ChotoMa called me and told me that she would come to take me back. Mom was bit sad on hearing that I had to go.

I hugged Mom and said her---“This time why don’t you come to stay with us?”

She gave a painful look---“You have Ulupi, your ChotoMa with you. But my eldest son has none. I have to look after him also.”

On the penultimate night, Dushtu came as usual to listen to stories.

In his usual childish voice, he asked me---“Promise me that next Puja, you will bring Abhi Uncle along with you.”

I smiled sweetly at him and assured him---“Surely I will bring him. But on one condition.”

He gave a queer look at me.

I ruffled his silky hair---“Tell me the story your Abhi Uncle told you.”

He kissed me on my cheek---“O, that story.”

He scratched his scalp and the laughed at me---“I don’t remember that.”

I gave a veiled displeasing look at him---“Then your Abhi uncle will not come.” And I started to tickle him all over.

He laughed and laughed---“Ok, ok. I will tell you that story.”

He took my left arm in his clutch, while I combed his silky hair.

He started to tell that story, once he told to Dushtu.

---“Long time ago, there was a fairy godmother who lived in a hut surrounded by huge trees on one side and green fields on the other side. There was a small pond on the backside of her hut. Her days passed by nurturing the flowers and plants that beautified her small garden in front of her hut. Then one day that fairy godmother saw a small lotus bud in a pond. The bud was not growing at all even after several days. So the fairy godmother plucked the lotus bud and brought that to her hut. She kept that bud in a glass utensil. She poured honey, dew, and milk in that utensil to grow that bud.

One beautiful morning, she woke up only to find that the lotus bud was gone. A baby fairy was lying in that utensil. The baby fairy was glowing in the rays of morning sun. Her skin complexion was of golden honey in colour. She had two little wings on her back. Her ten little fingers were rubbing the side of the glass utensil. She was trying to get out. Her hair was of jade black in color. Her pair of small eyes was twinkling in the soft rays of sun. She was babbling all sweet baby nothings.

Fairy godmother cried in happiness that that lotus bud bloomed into a baby fairy. She took out that baby fairy out of the utensil and wrapped her in a white and blue silk cloth. She fed her with honey and dew every day.

Days passed, the baby grew to a beautiful fairy. Her wings grew strong. Those were colourful. Colours of peacock and seven rays of sun were painted on her wings. However, she was not strong enough to fly. Because fairy godmother never taught her to fly. Fairy godmother always wanted to keep that young fairy with her, always forever.

She used to play in the sun, on the grass fields. She used to nurture those flowerbeds in front of her house. She used to drink the morning dews. She used to take fruits. Honeybees used to bring her honey every morning.

Her braids grew longer day by day. Those braids flowed on the ground while she walked. She used to prepare garlands out of the flowers and tied those in her hair and on her wrists.”

I was surprised to hear that story. I was speechless by his imagination.

Dushtu continued---“One night the fairy godmother was not at home. She was out for some work to finish, in the moonlight. The young beautiful fairy was inside her hut, looking outside the window to the dark blue sky and those stars twinkling over head. Suddenly she heard a noise. She looked around her, but there was no one around. She quietly opened the door and looked outside. She was very much surprised to find a milky white unicorn standing at her door and looking at her. The young fairy could not understand as what to do. She came near the unicorn and patted him on his neck. The unicorn neighed. The fairy got frightened at first. But the unicorn rubbed his neck on the fairy’s cheek assuring her that he meant her no harm.

She ushered the unicorn into her hut. She looked at the unicorn for a long time with her big eyes full of amazement. After sometime, she fell asleep.

The first light of the dawn touched the window of her hut, caressed gently on her cheek and face. The warmth of the morning sun woke her up. She was surprised to see a handsome youth sitting in the place of the unicorn. She was taken aback. She got frightened. She was about to shriek when the young lad pressed his hand on her lips and stopped her scream.

She sat there as she felt huge waves inside her chest. She was very much frightened and how that unicorn vanished and a handsome youth was sitting at his place.

The young lad spoke at last “I am a thief. I can disguise in any form. I came here to steal the doll from the fairy godmother. But when I saw you I forgot about the doll. I changed myself into an unicorn to get into the house.”

The young beautiful fairy was listening quietly. The thief asked her “Do you want to fly? Do you want to go beyond those woods? Do you want to hear how the rivers sing?”

Very gently, the fairy nodded her head. She was mesmerized on hearing his strong deep voice.

The thief wrapped the fairy in a huge cloak and dug the floor of the hut. They dug under the fields for few days and made a passage beyond the forest. After few days when they came out of the passage, the fairy found her beyond the huge forest. There were high snow peaked mountains in front of her.

The thief asked her “Do you want to fly?”

The fairy nodded her head “Yes.”

The thief scooped up the fairy on his lap and threw her in the air. At first, she fell down, but the thief caught her in his strong arms. Again, he threw the fairy in the air. This time she fluttered her huge wings. She floated in the air. She looked down. The thief was walking along with her on the ground following her shadow.

The fairy flew to the mountains and the thief followed her shadow to the mountains.”

I held my breath till he finished the last sentence and smiled at me.

He asked me---“Do you know the rest part of the story?”

I asked him---“Why? Does this story end here?”

He nodded his head---“Yes. He didn’t tell what happened next.”

I thought about the story, the story of the thief, who stole the fairy from her godmother and ran to the mountains. He taught the fairy how to fly. Moreover, after that day the fairy flew in the air, under the sun over the trees over the green grass. Once the fairy looked down but could not find the thief there. She thought that the thief might have gone somewhere and would return. The thief did not return for long time.

I gently pulled his chubby cheeks and nudged him---“Go to sleep now. Next time when Abhi uncle will come, he will tell you the rest of the story as what happened to the thief and the fairy.”

Chapter 8: Sapling crushed

--------------------------------

ChotoMa came on that day to take me back. My Mom was almost in tears as she bid good bye.

As usual, Babu sent a car to pick me up. While returning, ChotoMa asked me as how I spend my holidays. I asked her as what she did when I was not at home.

She looked at me, rubbed her palm on my head, and said---“We both missed you a lot.”

I looked at her face smiling face, hugged her, and nudged my face on the curve of her shoulder. She asked me---“What happened?”

---“I missed you a lot.”

---“Ok, your first year exams are coming near. Now onwards, only study and nothing else.”

College started. Days passed. There was no communication received from him in any sense. With every passing day, I grew more restless. To overcome that turbulence inside my heart, I dipped myself in my studies.

The day was midweek of July. First year exam results were declared. I came out with good colours in my mark sheet. Both ChotoMa and Babu were happy by my progress.

It was raining from the morning. On that day one year ago, all our dreams shattered. From the very morning, I observed that Babu and ChotoMa were acting very indifferent towards me. I sensed that they were missing their son very much. I understood that I was not their daughter “Why should someone lose their own son due to some other’s daughter’s fault?” That day they were very much agitated and after I returned from college Babu asked for my mobile. I could not understand at first.

Babu asked me---“Paree, can I use your mobile? I have to make a call.”

I was sure that he wanted to check my call-logs so as to find that whether I have received any call from him or not.

I gave him my mobile and went inside my room to change my dress. The showers were still pouring from the heaven. Thunders were rattling the air and the walls of the house. After sometime, ChotoMa also returned from her school. I was in the kitchen preparing the dinner.

ChotoMa came to the kitchen after changing her dresses. Her face was sullen.

She gave a fake smile at me---“How are you today?”

I shook my head “I am fine.”

She started to chop the onions along with me. I observed with the corner of my eyes that she was wiping her eyes frequently. “Was that due to the onions or she was missing her son?” I was also missing him very much that day.

She said in a low voice---“Few things in life, we fail to understand why that happens.”

I looked at her, tried to understand as what she wanted to say.

I was not a child, unknown to the facts of this harsh reality of the world around me. Both ChotoMa and Babu were very quiet during the dinner. They only asked about my studies and nothing else. Their perturbed face was killing me. That night I wrote the most painful thoughts in my “Optics Notebook”.

---“I was a girl, who posses just the opposite nature of Midas touch. Whatever touches my life turns into stone instead of gold. I was born, my father passed away. I wanted to pursue my studies which brought Abhimanyu near me. He went away, squandered off in this world away from his own parents. ChotoMa and Babu lost their own blood and flesh. What should I do? Where should I go? Only those eight months, he was by my side. I felt as if conquering the whole world. I felt the world at my feet. Now he is gone. Suchismita left her native place as a Paree. Time transmigrated her to Mita. What more dark nature, the life has to unfurl before me?”

From that day, my reactions for my foster parents started to change. Gradually the way of their conversation and behavior changed.

Days turned to months but there was no sign of his communication. Gradually his memoirs were fading away from my mind. The “Optics Notebook” came out of the shelf seldom. I dived deep into the abyss of my life. I wanted to relieve my pains only through my studies. All that I wanted to do was to study hard and lead a life of own. I did not want to tie anyone’s life with my desolate fate. I cursed myself for my life.

On my birthday, I woke up as usual. Mom called in the morning to wish me good luck. I felt crying when I heard Mom’s voice over the telephone. I felt that time that how much alone I was in this world.

Mom asked me---“Are you ok?”

---“Yes I am. I miss you very much.”

ChotoMa was near me so I told her---“I will call you later Ma. I have to go to College.”

I bathed and entered my room to change my dress. I found a beautiful gift pack on my bed. I opened that pack. I found a beautiful sky blue salwar suit. ChotoMa came to my room and I bent to touch her feet.

She placed her palm on my head and asked---“Love that dress?”

I shook my head “Yes, it is beautiful.”

---“Are you going to take out your friends for any treat?”

---“I don’t know.”

---“Then return from your college on time. Your Babu will take you to the shop to buy you the deck he promised.”

I looked at ChotoMa and said---“What’s the need of that? I don’t want that.”

She rubbed her palm on my head and said---“You are upset.”

A huge wave rose from the abyss of my chest and was about to crush on the shore of my face. I looked the other way to control that wave and nodded my head.

---“I am fine. I am missing my Mom.”

She understood everything and let a deep exhale to come out of her chest.

---“Be a good girl. Don’t be upset. Today is your birthday. Enjoy yourself.”

She handed me two five hundred rupees note and said---“Enjoy with your friends, but don’t be late for house.”

In my college, I had a mixed feeling running inside myself. For the first time in my college days, I saw Teesta in a beautiful red and yellow coloured salwar. I smiled at her. She smiled back at me and waved her fingers.

She came and sat beside me. After a long time I felt her touching my shoulder.

---“You are looking beautiful. Happy birthday.”

I smiled back at her---“How do you know?”

---“You told once.”

I contracted my brows and asked her---“What made you to wear salwar today?”

Her voice was low---“I feel I should change myself.”

Debobroto entered the class room and directly came to me and wished me.

He screamed almost---“Ufff! Are you going to kill everybody?” All laughed out in the class.

My face turned red in coy. Delisha and Pushpanjali also wished me and asked where I was going to take them out?

Debobroto came near Teesta and whispered in her ears. I heard that because I was sitting next to Teesta.

---“What happened to you? Today you are also looking very different?”

She looked at him and said---“I just lost myself somewhere in last few years.”

From the voice I fathomed that the old Teesta whom everybody knew, was not present. May be she died or she was hidden somewhere.

Debobroto ruffled her braids and went away.

After the college all friends surrounded me to treat them.

Rajat and Pushpanjali were adamant to take them to “Peter Cat”.

I smiled back at them and said---“I don’t have enough…..”

Teesta came to my rescue---“Why do you worry? Till I am here.”

Debobroto said---“No outsiders. No Danish no Tirthankar. This time only friends.”

Teesta smiled painfully at him and said “Tirthankar is past.” She looked at Delisha and then said “Danish is always welcome.”

Debobroto joked at her---“Really. I was waiting for this moment for a long time to court you, sexy.”

The old frolic Teesta was again out of her den. She started beating him.

The rain started as we came out of the college waiting for the taxis. We were seven friends and all wanted to go together.

Debobroto said---“Hey we can’t go in one taxi at least. Else girls have to sit on the laps.”

I shook my head in dismay.

My umbrella stuck and was not opening. Debobroto came near me and held his umbrella over my head. I looked at him with grateful eyes and thanked him.

The drizzle has already soaked sides and back of my dress. I tried to hide my bust by the dupatta.

Just then, I felt Debobroto has left arm on my left shoulder. I felt his touch like a shock, send goose bumps on my arms. The touch did not have any lewdness or lecher. It was a friendly loving touch. I looked around, Teesta and Delisha was smiling at me.

My creamy bare upper arm touched his left chest. Cold, humid breeze were blowing around us. I tried to feel the warmth of his palm on my shoulder. I looked down on the footpath.

Sankho called two taxis.

He looked at me and ushered me into the taxi.

In one taxi, I, Delisha, Teesta, and Debobroto boarded. He sat on the front seat.

Both of us were very quiet. The touch of his palm, send a string of thoughts racing in my brain. I looked outside the window. The raindrops splashed continuously on the glass panes.

Teesta asked me---“Why are you so quiet today? You should be happy. It is your birthday.”

“Nothing, I miss my Mom, everyday” I hid my pains.

“Was he coming back? Was there any type of communication he was going to have with me?” I could see the old wooden mast on the horizon of the ocean. Gradually the old mast was going down the line, the separator between the blue sky and Prussian sea.

Debobroto was quiet for a long time. I felt that he was also not in his old composure.

I tried to bring myself out of my confinement and slapped the back of his head---“Hey why are you so quiet?”

He smiled back at me---“Nothing.” He joked at both of us. “Today every girl is in salwar and I am having three most beautiful girls with me. Huh… everyone would be jealous of me I am sure.”

“Come on at least leave Delisha.” Teesta scolded him.

In the restaurant Debobroto sat between me and Teesta. I observe that Teesta was showing lot of concern about Debobroto. The way she was talking to him was not the way she used to talk to him.

I asked---“What to order?”

Teesta---“Chello Kebab, what else. Debu, what do you say?”

Debobroto was also astonished to hear his short name from Teesta’s lips. He contracted his brows and looked at Teesta. She smiled sweetly at him.

“Come on don’t give that look.” She smiled back.

After that we came out. It was still drizzling, that time I could open my umbrella. I and Teesta were on the same route so we were walking towards the main road. Debobroto was also walking with us.

Teesta asked him---“What are you going to do after M.Sc.?”

He shook his head and said---“I have not thought of anything yet, probably a lecturer or do research.”

He asked her back---“What are you going to do?”

“I am tired of studying. I will settle down after my college” she asked me as what I wanted to do.

I said---“I want to be a teacher. Let us see what happens. Ambitions are always not fulfilled; wishes are not met by fate.”

Debobroto looked into my eyes, our eyes met and I felt a deep writhing pain inside my chest.

He said to me---“Why are you so gloom now-a-days? Why is your voice sounding so cynic today?”

“Nothing” I said.

Teesta stood near to Debobroto as we waited for taxi. Her arms were touching his arms. I felt the closeness that was brewing inside her. I restrained myself from some unknown vacuum.

We were to board the taxi. I looked back over my shoulder, Teesta still stood by his side looking at his face. All the while he looked at me and approached me.

He handed a small box wrapped in a cellophane paper in my hand and said---“A small gift from a demure friend.”

I smiled back at him and said---“If you are demure then the world is mute.”

Teesta laughed at him and said---“Where is my gift?”

He scratched his scalp---“I don’t have the license to gift you. Do I?”

I boarded the taxi along with Teesta.

Before the taxi started, she threw some words at him---“I will wait for your gift.”

I thought, as the taxi cut through the streets and drove though the drizzle “What was happening to the world around me?”

Both of us were very quiet all along the return journey. Both of us lost in one’s thought. She was probably thinking about her future and I was thinking about my past.

She had to get down before me. When her stoppage came, she got down.

She looked at me and said---“Thank you for the treat.” She kissed my cheek and waved her hand.

The sun already went down. It was getting dark and there was no sign of rain to stop.

I entered my house. Babu and ChotoMa were waiting for me. I was surprised to see ChotoMa as she usually returns late from her school.

I asked them---“What?”

ChotoMa told---“I promised you to gift a music system. So hurry up. Change your dress.”

I said---“I don’t want any music system. I told you beforehand.”

She came near me and asked---“What happened to you?”

I felt a pain and wanted to tell the bitter truth “You all have done a lot for a girl who is not your own. Do not drown me in your debt more. I won’t be able to stand.”

Unwillingly I went with them and they gifted me a music system. I kept that on my reading table. Seldom had I used to hear music.

In the night, when I was alone in my room, I opened the box that Debobroto presented me. There was a small glass sphere filled up with transparent liquid. In that glass sphere there were two tiny cute looking statues of a boy and a girl with entwined arms. I smiled by looking at that “Debobroto what are you asking for I don’t have that with me. I can’t give you what I have lost.” I packed that sphere back inside that box and kept that in one corner of my bookshelf.

During the Puja vacation, ChotoMa and Babu requested me to stay with them in Kolkata. I obliged happily. I never enjoyed puja of Kolkata before.

On the eve of Puja vacation, ChotoMa and Babu took me to BowBazar for buying gold jewelries.

That time I could not deny them.

On Ashtami morning, Debobroto called and asked whether I would like to go out with them or not.

I asked---“Who all are going?”

He told me that all of the friends would be going.

I asked---“One car or different cars?”

He joked at me---“Why? Don’t you feel comfortable with me?”

I laughed on him---“Come on Debobroto. Do not be mischief. I am asking so that we can enjoy.”

---“Ok I will hire a van or an Innova to take us all.”

---“Is Teesta coming with us?”

---“Surely it was her plan to go out.”

I asked ChotoMa that I wanted to go out with my friends and will be late for home. They did not oppose.

I dressed in a simple cream coloured cotton saree with dark green border. Tied my plaids in a bun; hanging below my nape.

ChotoMa looked at me and almost screamed---“What is this Paree? Today is Ashtami puja and you are dressed like this? What about the saree that I gave you this Puja?”

She presented a beautiful South Indian silk of green and golden border, on that puja.

I gave a faint smile at her and said---“This is ok.”

She pushed me inside my room---“At least don’t be so colour less in life.”

“Ok” I shook my head and changed myself in that gorgeous saree. It went very well with my cream soft complexion. She came out with her jewelry box and tied a necklace around my neck.

I looked at ChotoMa and asked her---“What the need of this?”

She rubbed her palm on my head and said---“Nothing. I am looking how beautiful you are. Enjoy with your friends and keep your mobile on all the time so that we can reach you.”

I nodded my head and said---“Oh! ChotoMa I am not a child anymore.”

I was dressed in that green coloured silk saree. Hair plaids ran down till my end of my back. I wore a matching green blouse. Few gold bangles adorned my thin wrist. Small gold earring dangled beautifully from my ears. My right lock danced on my right cheek. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled “Paree you are going to set fire to Kolkata.”

All of a sudden, I felt a touch on my shoulder, a very soft loving touch. There was no reflection on the mirror but I was sure that I felt that touch on my shoulder.

Someone whispered in my ears---“EVE you are looking gorgeous today.”

I stood there looking at my face, gradually my chest gurgled. My nose tip turned red. Tears brewed in my eyes. I pressed my palms on my chest to drowse my pain. I touched my shoulder where I felt his touch and pressed it on my lips.

Just then, my mobile phone rang.

Teesta shouted from the other end---“Come on. What are you waiting for? We are all waiting for the queen bee at the bus stop.”

I wiped the corner of my eyes and answered---“Wait. I am coming.”

ChotoMa looked at me from head to toe and kissed my forehead.

She said to me in her usual affectionate tone---“Enjoy with your friends.”

I took my brown clutch and walked out.

I reached bus-stop. Teesta was looking very beautiful in her baby pink silk saree. Short sleeved blouse. A pair of crystal earring was twinkling from her ears. Her braids were tied in a bun as I did previously. Dark brown color glued on her pouting lips. A small gold chain tied around her neck. The rhombus shaped locket dangled at the curve on her upper chest. For the first time I saw her in saree. “She looks beautiful in all dresses” I thought. She ran towards me, hugged me tightly, and whispered in my ears “If I were a boy I would have courted you Mita.”

I looked in her naughty eyes and complimented her---“You are going to set fire today not I.”

I smiled at Debobroto. He was looking dashing in his black kurta with golden yellow embroidery all over the collar and front. He was wearing a pair of cream jeans.

I told to myself “Both of them were made for each other, not for me.”

He smiled and came near me, whispered in my ears---“I will have a tough time to handle two beautiful ladies.”

I told to myself “Only one dear. Do not even try to think of me. Can’t you see the love that is dripping from Teesta’s eyes? What a fool you are. She has changed a lot.”

Instead I slapped his head and said---“Don’t try to get closer; else we both will fry you in fry pan.”

I asked them---“Where are the others?”

Teesta winked at me and said---“There is no others. We three only are going out.”

I almost screamed at them---“WHAT?”

“Why? Don’t you feel secure around me?” Debobroto asked me.

I shook my head in dismay. Everything became crystal clear in front of my eyes as I looked at Teesta’s loving cute face. Teesta arranged for the outing with Debobroto and Debobroto asked her whether I could go along with them or not.

I felt myself laughing after a long time. Teesta was babbling like a nightingale all the time.

It was night about eleven o’clock when we reached Muhammad Ali Park puja pandal. It was very crowded. I looked at the crowd and said to Debobroto that I will not go inside.

Teesta gave a pleading look at me and asked to accompany her.

Debobroto said that he does not want to go inside if I were not going. I stood helpless.

Teesta pleaded again---“Please Mita. There will be crowd everywhere.”

I told them that I had to make a call. I wanted to call Suprotim Da as to ask whether he had contacted them or not. Sixteen months passed without any news of him.

She looked at Debobroto who was still looking at me. I gave a faint smile at them and asked them to enjoy.

Teesta walked with Debobroto towards the puja pandal, in the crowd. She held his left arm tightly with her both hands, as if she did not want to let him go. I smiled at them as they walked towards the crowded place. All the time Teesta was holding his arm and looking at his face.

They were about to enter the pandal. Debobroto looked back over his shoulder and stretched his right hand towards me.

I took out my mobile and was to call Suprotim Da.

His eyes got a pleading look. He shouted, as there was huge noise all around---“I am still waiting for you, Mita.”

I clutched the mobile in my palm and forgot that I had to make a call. I looked at Teesta. Her eyes were glistening, but there was a smile on her lips. She looked at me. Her eyes told me many things. I shook my head “What are you doing Debobroto? Are you really so blind?”

I slowly walked towards them and patted on his back---“You won’t change Debobroto?”

He joked at me---“Why do I need to change?”

Teesta whispered “For my sake Debu.” Her words, drowned in the loud blaring noise. It did not reached Debobroto’s ears but it reached mine.

One day I called Suprotim Da at night.

It was Ritika again on the other end. I asked her whether he called them or not. She said that he had not called for a long time. I was very much perturbed then by her answer. I kept my head cool. I told her that if he calls them, then just inform him that I am still to receive any type of communication from him. She was surprised to hear that that he had not contacted me. She pacified me that he would surely find out some way to contact me. I pacified my soul by her answer and let the waves flow through the river.

ChotoMa and Babu were again behaving normally with me. Their smiles returned back but were less. Those touches of affection were losing its sheen. “ShonaMa” was seldom heard from their lips.

Few months later, again I observed a tense look on their face. I could not understand as what was creating those wrinkles on their foreheads.

One day I gathered all my strength to ask them as what was disturbing them for long time?

ChotoMa returned from her school, I was in my room. Babu was watching TV in drawing room.

ChotoMa came into my room and asked about my college and friends.

I asked---“Why are you both so disturbed? Is that all due to me?”

She sat on my bed and looked at me---“No. We are not disturbed, just cursing the fate.”

I understood everything that was in their heart.

She went on---“You are growing older. Next year you will turn twenty-seven. I was thinking of searching a groom for you.”

I pressed my pen between my lips to hide my pain---“Why? Am I bothering you very much?”

---“Paree, age is a factor of every one’s life. As you grow old, you will understand that you need someone by your side to look after you. You mom or we won’t be with you forever.”

I shook my head and said---“I was thinking for a long time that I should return to my native place. I don’t want to pursue M.Sc. anymore.”

Her voice choked a little---“Don’t talk about going back to your native village. We still love you. You are not a burden on us. It is a general concern of all parents about their daughter.”

---“Then why are you talking about my marriage?”

---“We want to see you happy before we close our eyes. We are also getting old; your mom is also getting old. She also expressed her concern about your marriage.”

I was surprised to hear that---“What? My mom told you about my marriage?”

She shook her head and said---“No, not actually. She is also getting old and she also must be thinking about your marriage.”

“So it was your thought,” I told to myself. “You want to get rid of me as soon as possible. I know my Mom; she will not be asking you for my marriage at least. She knows what I want.”

She looked at my face which was lost in my Mom’s thought and asked---“What are you thinking?”

I voiced my concern---“Nothing. But if you all behave with me like that then it is hard to concentrate on my studies.”

She apologized to me---“Sorry. We will talk about this later on. A whole year is there to discuss and lot of time for you to think.”

She went away, closing the door behind her. I was unable to concentrate in my studies.

Winter vacation approached. My M.Sc. final were just five months from then. I went back to my native village. That time I went alone in the cab. Neither Babu nor ChotoMa accompanied me.

I got down from the cab alone; my Mom looked at my face.

She asked me---“You are alone this time?”

I nodded my head and carried my bag inside---“Yes, ChotoMa and Babu were busy in some work. Anyway they will be coming to take me back.”

She probably sensed those bubbles inside me.

At night, she came to my room. I was writing few lines in the “Optics Notebook”. I closed that and looked at her.

She asked me---“Has Abhimanyu contacted you?”

I shook my head---“No he has not called me; neither has he called Suprotim Da.”

---“What happened to him? Why he is not trying to contact you?”

I was very annoyed on hearing those words. I almost screamed---“How can I know? What the hell is he doing? I don’t even know why he came in my life and just uprooted me.”

I had mixed feelings of angst and pain and fear running inside my heart.

Angst, he was not contacting me. Pain, has he forgotten me? Fear, something should not happen to him.

I asked Mom---“When are you going to talk to ChotoMa about me and Abhi?”

She came near me and rubbed her palms on my head---“Don’t be so restless.”

---“How can I hold on? Eighteen months have passed. What is he doing?”

She asked me a final question---“Ask your heart. What is restraining him from contacting you for last eighteen months? If you find answer, then wait for him and fight. If you don’t find any answer then meet whatever comes in your life.”

I locked the door after mom went out. I asked that question to myself that night. But I could not find any answer.

I called Suprotim Da again but the phone answered, “Please check the number you have dialed.”

I found the panes of glass covering my heart getting shattered by that answer. My last and only hope drowned. I did not cry that day. I did not sleep on my bed also. For the whole night, I was awake on my bed, sat silently. I felt angry upon myself for waiting too long for him. I felt a huge vacuum inside my heart. Nothing was there to fill my soul. No pain no happiness, only a dark vacuum.

I looked the “Optics Notebook” lying on the table. For once, I thought of destroying that diary forever. “Why should I care for his childhood? Why should I care for his friendships? Why should I care for his love?”

I took the diary in my hands and was about to tear. The page that opened in front of me was his Hindi poem. I read that somehow which restrained me to destroy that diary.

The whole winter break, I kept myself confined to my studies only. I knew that very well, that if I have to fight the world I have to be on myself. I had a pillar, my Mom, but I had to search for him also.

One evening Sumanto Da came to me and asked me to sign few court papers. I asked him as what has happened. He told me that those papers were of mutation and it was of my share of the property. I looked at his face as he handed those papers to me. I grazed my eyes over those papers once and then signed those papers. The house was breaking I felt. Already after Subroto’s marriage, the kitchen was divided and then I felt the walls building up on the compound.

On the last night before the vacation was to end and I had to return with ChotoMa, my Mom came to my room.

I was lying on the bed on my tummy and was preparing some notes.

My mom came and sat beside me and rubbed her palms on my back.

She asked---“So have you got your answer?”

I was so engrossed in my books that I looked up at her face and shook my head and said “No.”

She smiled at me---“I am not asking about your Physics. I am asking about the question that I asked you on the first day.”

I dug inside my head and then said in a confirmed voice---“If you are with me, then I will wait till the evening of my life till I get him back.”

She smiled painfully at me and said---“Well then. When he calls you or contacts you. First you ask him to meet me. I want to talk to him alone and then I will talk to your ChotoMa.”

I hugged her. My heart answered on that day, that he would return for me.

ChotoMa came to take me back. My Mom’s face was sullen. Everybody looked sullen on that day, as if I was going for the last time. I told everybody that after my final exam I was going to come back and stay with them.

Dushtu came near me and whispered---“You haven’t kept your word this time also.”

I could not answer his queries, all I could do was to board the cab and leave silently, hiding my gurgles brewing inside my chest.
For next few months, I tried Suprotim Da’s number but every time I had the same answer from there “Please check the number you have dialed.”

One night after dinner, I was in the drawing room watching TV.

I overheard some conversation which I could not understand that time.

Babu---“What can we do, she is definitely contacting someone.”

ChotoMa---“This is really disgusting. How can she contact?”

Babu---“Probably she hasn’t contacted. I once checked her mobile but there was no international call.”

ChotoMa---“Then what is the meaning of all these?”

Babu---“I fail to understand as what are these.”

ChotoMa---“Better we don’t talk about this. But where is he currently? He called a year ago.”

Babu---“Hmmm… I know, but after that he has not called. Neither on the landline nor on her mobile.”

ChotoMa---“Should we ask Paree?”

Babu---“No, have you gone mad. Let that be, between us only.”

ChotoMa---“But I miss my son, same time I can’t leave her also as I have given word to her mother.”

Only thing that I could fathom from that conversation that he had not contacted me on mobile neither on the landline. There was a big question that crept in my brain “What was he doing? How was he? Has he forgotten that his love is waiting for him?”

Every passing day, the ray of hope faded inside my heart. I tried to pour oil in the lamp to keep the flame burning, every moment.

Classes started, the final exam was few months away.

There were free periods in the second half that day. I had to complete my practical, so I was totally engrossed in my work. I forgot to bring the lunch on that day. There were few students in the class. Neither Teesta nor Delisha was there. Debobroto was also not there.

Time was flying by; I lost the count of time.

Suddenly I felt a nudge on my shoulder. I looked up with big surprising eyes to find Debobroto looking at me. There was an angry look in his eyes.

“Lady Vidyasagar. Skipping lunch won’t make you first in the class.” He pushed a sandwich in front of me and asked---“Eat this.”

I smiled at him and asked---“Who told you that I am hungry?”

---“Your face, idiot. Don’t ask anything just eat this or I will bang your head.”

“Why are you doing this to me?” I asked him.

He paid no heed to my words, unpacked that sandwich, and pushed that in my mouth. I was taken aback by his actions. I got choked.

I screamed---“You Swine, you are hurting me.”

While he pushed the sandwich, his left hand fingers grazed on my chin. He was laughing at me on my angry look.

I heard few footsteps at the door. I looked at the door with my mouthful of sandwich. I saw Teesta looking at us. There was a pain in her beautiful eyes. Her eyes glistened on seeing his hand on my chin.

I pushed his hand from my chin and looked down to my practical book.

I said to Debobroto---“Go away. Leave me.”

She quietly came near me and sat beside me. I was unable to look at her face. She stooped down, rested her head on the desk, and kept herself very silent. I could hear her heartbeat and her pulsating breath.

I looked over my shoulder and shouted at Debobroto---“When are you going to leave?”

---“Why?”

---“No periods are there now, so why are you waiting?”

He took his bag and approached my bench. He looked at both of us. Teesta had her head still on the bench.

He asked as what happened to her.

I asked him again---“Why are you waiting?”

He whispered---“I was waiting for you.”

I observed that Teesta clenched her fist under the table as she heard him say those words. Debobroto was unaware of her reactions as he was standing there.

I said to him---“I will go home later after finishing the practical notes.”

He joked at me---“Well, this class is for everyone. I will sit and won’t disturb you.”

I clenched my jaws and said to him in a commanding voice---“Just leave the class. Now. If you have nothing to do.”

He could not understand as what made me so angry that day. He gave a blank look at my face as he walked out silently.

I placed my hand on Teesta’s back. Her back trembled like a small twig caught in a storm.

I took her face between my palms and wiped few drops from her cheeks. Her eyes were closed.

I asked her---“Why have you not told me before?”

She sobbed out---“What should I tell you? He does not even look at me. He still feels that I am the same old Teesta. I am not the same, Mita. I am trying to change myself for him”

I shook my head---“You insane girl. Why haven’t you proposed him yet?”

She almost cried out---“He always looks at you. How could I know; what was in your heart?”

“My goodness!” I said to her. “Ok, I will handle this before I leave this college.”

She gave a queer look at me---“What about you?”

I told her the truth in a single sentence---“I don’t have my heart with me. Someone stole that long ago. So what I don’t have I can’t give that to anyone.”

I paused for few breaths and said to her---“Don’t ask who was he or where is he. Just be contented that my heart is not with me.”

She hugged me tightly and hid her face on the curve on my shoulder.

I assured her---“I will do my best, to bring you two together.”

Few weeks after that incident; the M.Sc. final exam schedule were declared. The study break was about to start. The last period was over. I looked around and arranged my notebooks in my bag. Teesta was still sitting inside the class room. I asked her whether she was going home or not. She said that she would wait for some more time. I smiled at her and walked out.

In the corridor, I saw Debobroto was walking towards me. I smiled back at him and was to cross him.

He suddenly held my wrist and pulled me. I almost fell on him and was taken aback by his actions. A gush of hot blood rushed in my head. My bosoms were pressed on his masculine broad chest. He didn’t let my wrist go from his strong clutch.

He brought his face near me and said to me---“I have to say something before the end of the session.”

I looked at him with my big eyes. I anticipated that that was going to happen someday or the other.

His warm breath was flooding my face as he stooped down and looked deep in my big eyes.

I could feel his heart pumping fast inside his chest as it was crushing my soft bosoms. I felt a warm unruly sensation to run down my whole serpentine frame.

I controlled my anger, at the same time I felt to melt by his touch.

He lowered down his voice and said to me---“I have bought a bike and I want you to be the first lady to sit on the pillion.”

I clenched my jaws to control all the feelings of attraction that was probably peeking and threw away those from the corner of my heart. “Was I getting carried away?” I told to myself in that fraction of second. I gathered myself up and pressed my hand on his broad chest. Pushed him aside and gave a fiery look at him.

---“You should not do this to me Debobroto.”

He pleaded---“Why? What is wrong with me?”

I shook my head---“There is nothing wrong with you, but there is something wrong in me. I can’t give you what you seek for. There is someone waiting for you.”

It was his turn to get surprised---“Who?”

I held him by his wrist and pulled him inside the class room. I looked at Teesta. Her eyes were filled up with fear, pain and bewilderment.

I pointed to Teesta and said to Debobroto---“She is waiting for you. Go and live your life.”

Debobroto gave a bewildered look at me---“And you?”

I shouted at him---“What me? Can’t you see in her eyes? Go. She is your long lost fairy.”

I came near Teesta and handed his hand in hers. She was almost in tears. I felt the gurgle in Debobroto’s chest as he held her palms tightly.

He looked at her glistening eyes and said to her---“It took five years for you to understand me?”

She was sitting on the bench so she had to throw her arms around his waist. He pressed her head on his tummy and they melted away. Debobroto gave an admiring look at me and nodded his head to express gratitude.

I touched Teesta’s cheek and said her---“I kept my word and now don’t let him go.”

I looked at her face, smiling and filled up with gratitude. She was about to unclasp him and hug me. I signed her not to come near me. I wiped the corner of my eyes and walked away from there.

I closed my eyes, I saw on my right that a white unicorn was trotting towards me. I looked on my left I found a tiny sapling growing on the ground. I turned towards the sapling and put my left foot forward, crushed that tiny green sapling and then waited for the unicorn to come near me and touch my neck.

My M.Sc. final exam was just over. I was very happy, as I knew that I would come out with flying colours. I was also happy that at last I would be able to free myself from the ivory cage of the emperor and the empress. The princess at last sensed the air of freedom.

One fine summer morning when no one was present at home, I called my Mom.

---“Ma, my exams are over I am coming back to you.”

Her voice was choked as she heard her daughter’s voice saying her that she would return to her lap---“Yes. Paree I am waiting.”

Her motherly concern flowed from her throat---“Now return to me lap my child.”

---“Yes Ma, now on whatever I do, I will do from my native place. I will search job and be with you, Ma.”

She asked me---“Have you got any news of Abhimanyu?”

I took a deep breath and then said to her---“No Ma. He has not contacted me yet, but I am sure he will come. I will wait for him, Ma. I know that by my heart that he will come back.”

---“Ok. So when are you coming back?”

---“Within few weeks.”

She gave good news to me---“Kalyani is expecting a child.”

I was surprised to hear that---“Really, I will call her just now.”

After talking with my Mom, I called Kalyani.

---“Congratulation! When did this happen?”

Kalyani’s voice was low; I felt she was also very happy---“Two months ago. I missed the last period then I was bit skeptical. But when I consulted doctor then I was certain.”

I was very happy, everything was going very well.

I almost screamed---“I am coming back to village. I will look after you.”

---“Surely I am waiting for you.”

I called Teesta after that.

---“Hey how are you doing?”

Teesta was bit surprised to hear my jovial voice---“You are sounding very happy today.”

---“Yes, I am going back to my native place.”

She was taken aback on hearing that. She screamed at the other end---“Means? You are leaving Kolkata forever?”

I calmed her down---“I am leaving that does not mean that I won’t be in touch with you.”

Her voice was low---“I want to meet you. Now.”

I calmed her down---“Ok. Before I leave for village, I will meet you. I give you my word.”

“Promise.” Her voice was shaky.

---“Promise dear.”

I told to ChotoMa that I would goto village for a change. She didn’t object. I didn’t disclose my real intention to her. My real intention was to break that chain and fly forever. I knew that very well that if I stay at their house then I would be married to someone else. I won’t be able to wait for him. More than seven hundred and thirty days had passed I heard his voice. Every night I used to take out his “Optics Notebook” and wrote my memoirs, my longings, my sleepless nights, my kisses. Every page I wrote bore marks of my red lips. Few pages also bore the wet marks of my dew drops those fell from, according to his writing “lotus buds”.

Chapter 8: Sapling crushed

ChotoMa came on that day to take me back. My Mom was almost in tears as she bid good bye.

As usual, Babu sent a car to pick me up. While returning, ChotoMa asked me as how I spend my holidays. I asked her as what she did when I was not at home.

She looked at me, rubbed her palm on my head, and said---“We both missed you a lot.”

I looked at her face smiling face, hugged her, and nudged my face on the curve of her shoulder. She asked me---“What happened?”

---“I missed you a lot.”

---“Ok, your first year exams are coming near. Now onwards, only study and nothing else.”

College started. Days passed. There was no communication received from him in any sense. With every passing day, I grew more restless. To overcome that turbulence inside my heart, I dipped myself in my studies.

The day was midweek of July. First year exam results were declared. I came out with good colours in my mark sheet. Both ChotoMa and Babu were happy by my progress.

It was raining from the morning. On that day one year ago, all our dreams shattered. From the very morning, I observed that Babu and ChotoMa were acting very indifferent towards me. I sensed that they were missing their son very much. I understood that I was not their daughter “Why should someone lose their own son due to some other’s daughter’s fault?” That day they were very much agitated and after I returned from college Babu asked for my mobile. I could not understand at first.

Babu asked me---“Paree, can I use your mobile? I have to make a call.”

I was sure that he wanted to check my call-logs so as to find that whether I have received any call from him or not.

I gave him my mobile and went inside my room to change my dress. The showers were still pouring from the heaven. Thunders were rattling the air and the walls of the house. After sometime, ChotoMa also returned from her school. I was in the kitchen preparing the dinner.

ChotoMa came to the kitchen after changing her dresses. Her face was sullen.

She gave a fake smile at me---“How are you today?”

I shook my head “I am fine.”

She started to chop the onions along with me. I observed with the corner of my eyes that she was wiping her eyes frequently. “Was that due to the onions or she was missing her son?” I was also missing him very much that day.

She said in a low voice---“Few things in life, we fail to understand why that happens.”

I looked at her, tried to understand as what she wanted to say.

I was not a child, unknown to the facts of this harsh reality of the world around me. Both ChotoMa and Babu were very quiet during the dinner. They only asked about my studies and nothing else. Their perturbed face was killing me. That night I wrote the most painful thoughts in my “Optics Notebook”.

---“I was a girl, who posses just the opposite nature of Midas touch. Whatever touches my life turns into stone instead of gold. I was born, my father passed away. I wanted to pursue my studies which brought Abhimanyu near me. He went away, squandered off in this world away from his own parents. ChotoMa and Babu lost their own blood and flesh. What should I do? Where should I go? Only those eight months, he was by my side. I felt as if conquering the whole world. I felt the world at my feet. Now he is gone. Suchismita left her native place as a Paree. Time transmigrated her to Mita. What more dark nature, the life has to unfurl before me?”

From that day, my reactions for my foster parents started to change. Gradually the way of their conversation and behavior changed.

Days turned to months but there was no sign of his communication. Gradually his memoirs were fading away from my mind. The “Optics Notebook” came out of the shelf seldom. I dived deep into the abyss of my life. I wanted to relieve my pains only through my studies. All that I wanted to do was to study hard and lead a life of own. I did not want to tie anyone’s life with my desolate fate. I cursed myself for my life.

On my birthday, I woke up as usual. Mom called in the morning to wish me good luck. I felt crying when I heard Mom’s voice over the telephone. I felt that time that how much alone I was in this world.

Mom asked me---“Are you ok?”

---“Yes I am. I miss you very much.”

ChotoMa was near me so I told her---“I will call you later Ma. I have to go to College.”

I bathed and entered my room to change my dress. I found a beautiful gift pack on my bed. I opened that pack. I found a beautiful sky blue salwar suit. ChotoMa came to my room and I bent to touch her feet.

She placed her palm on my head and asked---“Love that dress?”

I shook my head “Yes, it is beautiful.”

---“Are you going to take out your friends for any treat?”

---“I don’t know.”

---“Then return from your college on time. Your Babu will take you to the shop to buy you the deck he promised.”

I looked at ChotoMa and said---“What’s the need of that? I don’t want that.”

She rubbed her palm on my head and said---“You are upset.”

A huge wave rose from the abyss of my chest and was about to crush on the shore of my face. I looked the other way to control that wave and nodded my head.

---“I am fine. I am missing my Mom.”

She understood everything and let a deep exhale to come out of her chest.

---“Be a good girl. Don’t be upset. Today is your birthday. Enjoy yourself.”

She handed me two five hundred rupees note and said---“Enjoy with your friends, but don’t be late for house.”

In my college, I had a mixed feeling running inside myself. For the first time in my college days, I saw Teesta in a beautiful red and yellow coloured salwar. I smiled at her. She smiled back at me and waved her fingers.

She came and sat beside me. After a long time I felt her touching my shoulder.

---“You are looking beautiful. Happy birthday.”

I smiled back at her---“How do you know?”

---“You told once.”

I contracted my brows and asked her---“What made you to wear salwar today?”

Her voice was low---“I feel I should change myself.”

Debobroto entered the class room and directly came to me and wished me.

He screamed almost---“Ufff! Are you going to kill everybody?” All laughed out in the class.

My face turned red in coy. Delisha and Pushpanjali also wished me and asked where I was going to take them out?

Debobroto came near Teesta and whispered in her ears. I heard that because I was sitting next to Teesta.

---“What happened to you? Today you are also looking very different?”

She looked at him and said---“I just lost myself somewhere in last few years.”

From the voice I fathomed that the old Teesta whom everybody knew, was not present. May be she died or she was hidden somewhere.

Debobroto ruffled her braids and went away.

After the college all friends surrounded me to treat them.

Rajat and Pushpanjali were adamant to take them to “Peter Cat”.

I smiled back at them and said---“I don’t have enough…..”

Teesta came to my rescue---“Why do you worry? Till I am here.”

Debobroto said---“No outsiders. No Danish no Tirthankar. This time only friends.”

Teesta smiled painfully at him and said “Tirthankar is past.” She looked at Delisha and then said “Danish is always welcome.”

Debobroto joked at her---“Really. I was waiting for this moment for a long time to court you, sexy.”

The old frolic Teesta was again out of her den. She started beating him.

The rain started as we came out of the college waiting for the taxis. We were seven friends and all wanted to go together.

Debobroto said---“Hey we can’t go in one taxi at least. Else girls have to sit on the laps.”

I shook my head in dismay.

My umbrella stuck and was not opening. Debobroto came near me and held his umbrella over my head. I looked at him with grateful eyes and thanked him.

The drizzle has already soaked sides and back of my dress. I tried to hide my bust by the dupatta.

Just then, I felt Debobroto has left arm on my left shoulder. I felt his touch like a shock, send goose bumps on my arms. The touch did not have any lewdness or lecher. It was a friendly loving touch. I looked around, Teesta and Delisha was smiling at me.

My creamy bare upper arm touched his left chest. Cold, humid breeze were blowing around us. I tried to feel the warmth of his palm on my shoulder. I looked down on the footpath.

Sankho called two taxis.

He looked at me and ushered me into the taxi.

In one taxi, I, Delisha, Teesta, and Debobroto boarded. He sat on the front seat.

Both of us were very quiet. The touch of his palm, send a string of thoughts racing in my brain. I looked outside the window. The raindrops splashed continuously on the glass panes.

Teesta asked me---“Why are you so quiet today? You should be happy. It is your birthday.”

“Nothing, I miss my Mom, everyday” I hid my pains.

“Was he coming back? Was there any type of communication he was going to have with me?” I could see the old wooden mast on the horizon of the ocean. Gradually the old mast was going down the line, the separator between the blue sky and Prussian sea.

Debobroto was quiet for a long time. I felt that he was also not in his old composure.

I tried to bring myself out of my confinement and slapped the back of his head---“Hey why are you so quiet?”

He smiled back at me---“Nothing.” He joked at both of us. “Today every girl is in salwar and I am having three most beautiful girls with me. Huh… everyone would be jealous of me I am sure.”

“Come on at least leave Delisha.” Teesta scolded him.

In the restaurant Debobroto sat between me and Teesta. I observe that Teesta was showing lot of concern about Debobroto. The way she was talking to him was not the way she used to talk to him.

I asked---“What to order?”

Teesta---“Chello Kebab, what else. Debu, what do you say?”

Debobroto was also astonished to hear his short name from Teesta’s lips. He contracted his brows and looked at Teesta. She smiled sweetly at him.

“Come on don’t give that look.” She smiled back.

After that we came out. It was still drizzling, that time I could open my umbrella. I and Teesta were on the same route so we were walking towards the main road. Debobroto was also walking with us.

Teesta asked him---“What are you going to do after M.Sc.?”

He shook his head and said---“I have not thought of anything yet, probably a lecturer or do research.”

He asked her back---“What are you going to do?”

“I am tired of studying. I will settle down after my college” she asked me as what I wanted to do.

I said---“I want to be a teacher. Let us see what happens. Ambitions are always not fulfilled; wishes are not met by fate.”

Debobroto looked into my eyes, our eyes met and I felt a deep writhing pain inside my chest.

He said to me---“Why are you so gloom now-a-days? Why is your voice sounding so cynic today?”

“Nothing” I said.

Teesta stood near to Debobroto as we waited for taxi. Her arms were touching his arms. I felt the closeness that was brewing inside her. I restrained myself from some unknown vacuum.

We were to board the taxi. I looked back over my shoulder, Teesta still stood by his side looking at his face. All the while he looked at me and approached me.

He handed a small box wrapped in a cellophane paper in my hand and said---“A small gift from a demure friend.”

I smiled back at him and said---“If you are demure then the world is mute.”

Teesta laughed at him and said---“Where is my gift?”

He scratched his scalp---“I don’t have the license to gift you. Do I?”

I boarded the taxi along with Teesta.

Before the taxi started, she threw some words at him---“I will wait for your gift.”

I thought, as the taxi cut through the streets and drove though the drizzle “What was happening to the world around me?”

Both of us were very quiet all along the return journey. Both of us lost in one’s thought. She was probably thinking about her future and I was thinking about my past.

She had to get down before me. When her stoppage came, she got down.

She looked at me and said---“Thank you for the treat.” She kissed my cheek and waved her hand.

The sun already went down. It was getting dark and there was no sign of rain to stop.

I entered my house. Babu and ChotoMa were waiting for me. I was surprised to see ChotoMa as she usually returns late from her school.

I asked them---“What?”

ChotoMa told---“I promised you to gift a music system. So hurry up. Change your dress.”

I said---“I don’t want any music system. I told you beforehand.”

She came near me and asked---“What happened to you?”

I felt a pain and wanted to tell the bitter truth “You all have done a lot for a girl who is not your own. Do not drown me in your debt more. I won’t be able to stand.”

Unwillingly I went with them and they gifted me a music system. I kept that on my reading table. Seldom had I used to hear music.

In the night, when I was alone in my room, I opened the box that Debobroto presented me. There was a small glass sphere filled up with transparent liquid. In that glass sphere there were two tiny cute looking statues of a boy and a girl with entwined arms. I smiled by looking at that “Debobroto what are you asking for I don’t have that with me. I can’t give you what I have lost.” I packed that sphere back inside that box and kept that in one corner of my bookshelf.

During the Puja vacation, ChotoMa and Babu requested me to stay with them in Kolkata. I obliged happily. I never enjoyed puja of Kolkata before.

On the eve of Puja vacation, ChotoMa and Babu took me to BowBazar for buying gold jewelries.

That time I could not deny them.

On Ashtami morning, Debobroto called and asked whether I would like to go out with them or not.

I asked---“Who all are going?”

He told me that all of the friends would be going.

I asked---“One car or different cars?”

He joked at me---“Why? Don’t you feel comfortable with me?”

I laughed on him---“Come on Debobroto. Do not be mischief. I am asking so that we can enjoy.”

---“Ok I will hire a van or an Innova to take us all.”

---“Is Teesta coming with us?”

---“Surely it was her plan to go out.”

I asked ChotoMa that I wanted to go out with my friends and will be late for home. They did not oppose.

I dressed in a simple cream coloured cotton saree with dark green border. Tied my plaids in a bun; hanging below my nape.

ChotoMa looked at me and almost screamed---“What is this Paree? Today is Ashtami puja and you are dressed like this? What about the saree that I gave you this Puja?”

She presented a beautiful South Indian silk of green and golden border, on that puja.

I gave a faint smile at her and said---“This is ok.”

She pushed me inside my room---“At least don’t be so colour less in life.”

“Ok” I shook my head and changed myself in that gorgeous saree. It went very well with my cream soft complexion. She came out with her jewelry box and tied a necklace around my neck.

I looked at ChotoMa and asked her---“What the need of this?”

She rubbed her palm on my head and said---“Nothing. I am looking how beautiful you are. Enjoy with your friends and keep your mobile on all the time so that we can reach you.”

I nodded my head and said---“Oh! ChotoMa I am not a child anymore.”

I was dressed in that green coloured silk saree. Hair plaids ran down till my end of my back. I wore a matching green blouse. Few gold bangles adorned my thin wrist. Small gold earring dangled beautifully from my ears. My right lock danced on my right cheek. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled “Paree you are going to set fire to Kolkata.”

All of a sudden, I felt a touch on my shoulder, a very soft loving touch. There was no reflection on the mirror but I was sure that I felt that touch on my shoulder.

Someone whispered in my ears---“EVE you are looking gorgeous today.”

I stood there looking at my face, gradually my chest gurgled. My nose tip turned red. Tears brewed in my eyes. I pressed my palms on my chest to drowse my pain. I touched my shoulder where I felt his touch and pressed it on my lips.

Just then, my mobile phone rang.

Teesta shouted from the other end---“Come on. What are you waiting for? We are all waiting for the queen bee at the bus stop.”

I wiped the corner of my eyes and answered---“Wait. I am coming.”

ChotoMa looked at me from head to toe and kissed my forehead.

She said to me in her usual affectionate tone---“Enjoy with your friends.”

I took my brown clutch and walked out.

I reached bus-stop. Teesta was looking very beautiful in her baby pink silk saree. Short sleeved blouse. A pair of crystal earring was twinkling from her ears. Her braids were tied in a bun as I did previously. Dark brown color glued on her pouting lips. A small gold chain tied around her neck. The rhombus shaped locket dangled at the curve on her upper chest. For the first time I saw her in saree. “She looks beautiful in all dresses” I thought. She ran towards me, hugged me tightly, and whispered in my ears “If I were a boy I would have courted you Mita.”

I looked in her naughty eyes and complimented her---“You are going to set fire today not I.”

I smiled at Debobroto. He was looking dashing in his black kurta with golden yellow embroidery all over the collar and front. He was wearing a pair of cream jeans.

I told to myself “Both of them were made for each other, not for me.”

He smiled and came near me, whispered in my ears---“I will have a tough time to handle two beautiful ladies.”

I told to myself “Only one dear. Do not even try to think of me. Can’t you see the love that is dripping from Teesta’s eyes? What a fool you are. She has changed a lot.”

Instead I slapped his head and said---“Don’t try to get closer; else we both will fry you in fry pan.”

I asked them---“Where are the others?”

Teesta winked at me and said---“There is no others. We three only are going out.”

I almost screamed at them---“WHAT?”

“Why? Don’t you feel secure around me?” Debobroto asked me.

I shook my head in dismay. Everything became crystal clear in front of my eyes as I looked at Teesta’s loving cute face. Teesta arranged for the outing with Debobroto and Debobroto asked her whether I could go along with them or not.

I felt myself laughing after a long time. Teesta was babbling like a nightingale all the time.

It was night about eleven o’clock when we reached Muhammad Ali Park puja pandal. It was very crowded. I looked at the crowd and said to Debobroto that I will not go inside.

Teesta gave a pleading look at me and asked to accompany her.

Debobroto said that he does not want to go inside if I were not going. I stood helpless.

Teesta pleaded again---“Please Mita. There will be crowd everywhere.”

I told them that I had to make a call. I wanted to call Suprotim Da as to ask whether he had contacted them or not. Sixteen months passed without any news of him.

She looked at Debobroto who was still looking at me. I gave a faint smile at them and asked them to enjoy.

Teesta walked with Debobroto towards the puja pandal, in the crowd. She held his left arm tightly with her both hands, as if she did not want to let him go. I smiled at them as they walked towards the crowded place. All the time Teesta was holding his arm and looking at his face.

They were about to enter the pandal. Debobroto looked back over his shoulder and stretched his right hand towards me.

I took out my mobile and was to call Suprotim Da.

His eyes got a pleading look. He shouted, as there was huge noise all around---“I am still waiting for you, Mita.”

I clutched the mobile in my palm and forgot that I had to make a call. I looked at Teesta. Her eyes were glistening, but there was a smile on her lips. She looked at me. Her eyes told me many things. I shook my head “What are you doing Debobroto? Are you really so blind?”

I slowly walked towards them and patted on his back---“You won’t change Debobroto?”

He joked at me---“Why do I need to change?”

Teesta whispered “For my sake Debu.” Her words, drowned in the loud blaring noise. It did not reached Debobroto’s ears but it reached mine.

One day I called Suprotim Da at night.

It was Ritika again on the other end. I asked her whether he called them or not. She said that he had not called for a long time. I was very much perturbed then by her answer. I kept my head cool. I told her that if he calls them, then just inform him that I am still to receive any type of communication from him. She was surprised to hear that that he had not contacted me. She pacified me that he would surely find out some way to contact me. I pacified my soul by her answer and let the waves flow through the river.

ChotoMa and Babu were again behaving normally with me. Their smiles returned back but were less. Those touches of affection were losing its sheen. “ShonaMa” was seldom heard from their lips.

Few months later, again I observed a tense look on their face. I could not understand as what was creating those wrinkles on their foreheads.

One day I gathered all my strength to ask them as what was disturbing them for long time?

ChotoMa returned from her school, I was in my room. Babu was watching TV in drawing room.

ChotoMa came into my room and asked about my college and friends.

I asked---“Why are you both so disturbed? Is that all due to me?”

She sat on my bed and looked at me---“No. We are not disturbed, just cursing the fate.”

I understood everything that was in their heart.

She went on---“You are growing older. Next year you will turn twenty-seven. I was thinking of searching a groom for you.”

I pressed my pen between my lips to hide my pain---“Why? Am I bothering you very much?”

---“Paree, age is a factor of every one’s life. As you grow old, you will understand that you need someone by your side to look after you. You mom or we won’t be with you forever.”

I shook my head and said---“I was thinking for a long time that I should return to my native place. I don’t want to pursue M.Sc. anymore.”

Her voice choked a little---“Don’t talk about going back to your native village. We still love you. You are not a burden on us. It is a general concern of all parents about their daughter.”

---“Then why are you talking about my marriage?”

---“We want to see you happy before we close our eyes. We are also getting old; your mom is also getting old. She also expressed her concern about your marriage.”

I was surprised to hear that---“What? My mom told you about my marriage?”

She shook her head and said---“No, not actually. She is also getting old and she also must be thinking about your marriage.”

“So it was your thought,” I told to myself. “You want to get rid of me as soon as possible. I know my Mom; she will not be asking you for my marriage at least. She knows what I want.”

She looked at my face which was lost in my Mom’s thought and asked---“What are you thinking?”

I voiced my concern---“Nothing. But if you all behave with me like that then it is hard to concentrate on my studies.”

She apologized to me---“Sorry. We will talk about this later on. A whole year is there to discuss and lot of time for you to think.”

She went away, closing the door behind her. I was unable to concentrate in my studies.

Winter vacation approached. My M.Sc. final were just five months from then. I went back to my native village. That time I went alone in the cab. Neither Babu nor ChotoMa accompanied me.

I got down from the cab alone; my Mom looked at my face.

She asked me---“You are alone this time?”

I nodded my head and carried my bag inside---“Yes, ChotoMa and Babu were busy in some work. Anyway they will be coming to take me back.”

She probably sensed those bubbles inside me.

At night, she came to my room. I was writing few lines in the “Optics Notebook”. I closed that and looked at her.

She asked me---“Has Abhimanyu contacted you?”

I shook my head---“No he has not called me; neither has he called Suprotim Da.”

---“What happened to him? Why he is not trying to contact you?”

I was very annoyed on hearing those words. I almost screamed---“How can I know? What the hell is he doing? I don’t even know why he came in my life and just uprooted me.”

I had mixed feelings of angst and pain and fear running inside my heart.

Angst, he was not contacting me. Pain, has he forgotten me? Fear, something should not happen to him.

I asked Mom---“When are you going to talk to ChotoMa about me and Abhi?”

She came near me and rubbed her palms on my head---“Don’t be so restless.”

---“How can I hold on? Eighteen months have passed. What is he doing?”

She asked me a final question---“Ask your heart. What is restraining him from contacting you for last eighteen months? If you find answer, then wait for him and fight. If you don’t find any answer then meet whatever comes in your life.”

I locked the door after mom went out. I asked that question to myself that night. But I could not find any answer.

I called Suprotim Da again but the phone answered, “Please check the number you have dialed.”

I found the panes of glass covering my heart getting shattered by that answer. My last and only hope drowned. I did not cry that day. I did not sleep on my bed also. For the whole night, I was awake on my bed, sat silently. I felt angry upon myself for waiting too long for him. I felt a huge vacuum inside my heart. Nothing was there to fill my soul. No pain no happiness, only a dark vacuum.

I looked the “Optics Notebook” lying on the table. For once, I thought of destroying that diary forever. “Why should I care for his childhood? Why should I care for his friendships? Why should I care for his love?”

I took the diary in my hands and was about to tear. The page that opened in front of me was his Hindi poem. I read that somehow which restrained me to destroy that diary.

The whole winter break, I kept myself confined to my studies only. I knew that very well, that if I have to fight the world I have to be on myself. I had a pillar, my Mom, but I had to search for him also.

One evening Sumanto Da came to me and asked me to sign few court papers. I asked him as what has happened. He told me that those papers were of mutation and it was of my share of the property. I looked at his face as he handed those papers to me. I grazed my eyes over those papers once and then signed those papers. The house was breaking I felt. Already after Subroto’s marriage, the kitchen was divided and then I felt the walls building up on the compound.

On the last night before the vacation was to end and I had to return with ChotoMa, my Mom came to my room.

I was lying on the bed on my tummy and was preparing some notes.

My mom came and sat beside me and rubbed her palms on my back.

She asked---“So have you got your answer?”

I was so engrossed in my books that I looked up at her face and shook my head and said “No.”

She smiled at me---“I am not asking about your Physics. I am asking about the question that I asked you on the first day.”

I dug inside my head and then said in a confirmed voice---“If you are with me, then I will wait till the evening of my life till I get him back.”

She smiled painfully at me and said---“Well then. When he calls you or contacts you. First you ask him to meet me. I want to talk to him alone and then I will talk to your ChotoMa.”

I hugged her. My heart answered on that day, that he would return for me.

ChotoMa came to take me back. My Mom’s face was sullen. Everybody looked sullen on that day, as if I was going for the last time. I told everybody that after my final exam I was going to come back and stay with them.

Dushtu came near me and whispered---“You haven’t kept your word this time also.”

I could not answer his queries, all I could do was to board the cab and leave silently, hiding my gurgles brewing inside my chest.
For next few months, I tried Suprotim Da’s number but every time I had the same answer from there “Please check the number you have dialed.”

One night after dinner, I was in the drawing room watching TV.

I overheard some conversation which I could not understand that time.

Babu---“What can we do, she is definitely contacting someone.”

ChotoMa---“This is really disgusting. How can she contact?”

Babu---“Probably she hasn’t contacted. I once checked her mobile but there was no international call.”

ChotoMa---“Then what is the meaning of all these?”

Babu---“I fail to understand as what are these.”

ChotoMa---“Better we don’t talk about this. But where is he currently? He called a year ago.”

Babu---“Hmmm… I know, but after that he has not called. Neither on the landline nor on her mobile.”

ChotoMa---“Should we ask Paree?”

Babu---“No, have you gone mad. Let that be, between us only.”

ChotoMa---“But I miss my son, same time I can’t leave her also as I have given word to her mother.”

Only thing that I could fathom from that conversation that he had not contacted me on mobile neither on the landline. There was a big question that crept in my brain “What was he doing? How was he? Has he forgotten that his love is waiting for him?”

Every passing day, the ray of hope faded inside my heart. I tried to pour oil in the lamp to keep the flame burning, every moment.

Classes started, the final exam was few months away.

There were free periods in the second half that day. I had to complete my practical, so I was totally engrossed in my work. I forgot to bring the lunch on that day. There were few students in the class. Neither Teesta nor Delisha was there. Debobroto was also not there.

Time was flying by; I lost the count of time.

Suddenly I felt a nudge on my shoulder. I looked up with big surprising eyes to find Debobroto looking at me. There was an angry look in his eyes.

“Lady Vidyasagar. Skipping lunch won’t make you first in the class.” He pushed a sandwich in front of me and asked---“Eat this.”

I smiled at him and asked---“Who told you that I am hungry?”

---“Your face, idiot. Don’t ask anything just eat this or I will bang your head.”

“Why are you doing this to me?” I asked him.

He paid no heed to my words, unpacked that sandwich, and pushed that in my mouth. I was taken aback by his actions. I got choked.

I screamed---“You Swine, you are hurting me.”

While he pushed the sandwich, his left hand fingers grazed on my chin. He was laughing at me on my angry look.

I heard few footsteps at the door. I looked at the door with my mouthful of sandwich. I saw Teesta looking at us. There was a pain in her beautiful eyes. Her eyes glistened on seeing his hand on my chin.

I pushed his hand from my chin and looked down to my practical book.

I said to Debobroto---“Go away. Leave me.”

She quietly came near me and sat beside me. I was unable to look at her face. She stooped down, rested her head on the desk, and kept herself very silent. I could hear her heartbeat and her pulsating breath.

I looked over my shoulder and shouted at Debobroto---“When are you going to leave?”

---“Why?”

---“No periods are there now, so why are you waiting?”

He took his bag and approached my bench. He looked at both of us. Teesta had her head still on the bench.

He asked as what happened to her.

I asked him again---“Why are you waiting?”

He whispered---“I was waiting for you.”

I observed that Teesta clenched her fist under the table as she heard him say those words. Debobroto was unaware of her reactions as he was standing there.

I said to him---“I will go home later after finishing the practical notes.”

He joked at me---“Well, this class is for everyone. I will sit and won’t disturb you.”

I clenched my jaws and said to him in a commanding voice---“Just leave the class. Now. If you have nothing to do.”

He could not understand as what made me so angry that day. He gave a blank look at my face as he walked out silently.

I placed my hand on Teesta’s back. Her back trembled like a small twig caught in a storm.

I took her face between my palms and wiped few drops from her cheeks. Her eyes were closed.

I asked her---“Why have you not told me before?”

She sobbed out---“What should I tell you? He does not even look at me. He still feels that I am the same old Teesta. I am not the same, Mita. I am trying to change myself for him”

I shook my head---“You insane girl. Why haven’t you proposed him yet?”

She almost cried out---“He always looks at you. How could I know; what was in your heart?”

“My goodness!” I said to her. “Ok, I will handle this before I leave this college.”

She gave a queer look at me---“What about you?”

I told her the truth in a single sentence---“I don’t have my heart with me. Someone stole that long ago. So what I don’t have I can’t give that to anyone.”

I paused for few breaths and said to her---“Don’t ask who was he or where is he. Just be contented that my heart is not with me.”

She hugged me tightly and hid her face on the curve on my shoulder.

I assured her---“I will do my best, to bring you two together.”

Few weeks after that incident; the M.Sc. final exam schedule were declared. The study break was about to start. The last period was over. I looked around and arranged my notebooks in my bag. Teesta was still sitting inside the class room. I asked her whether she was going home or not. She said that she would wait for some more time. I smiled at her and walked out.

In the corridor, I saw Debobroto was walking towards me. I smiled back at him and was to cross him.

He suddenly held my wrist and pulled me. I almost fell on him and was taken aback by his actions. A gush of hot blood rushed in my head. My bosoms were pressed on his masculine broad chest. He didn’t let my wrist go from his strong clutch.

He brought his face near me and said to me---“I have to say something before the end of the session.”

I looked at him with my big eyes. I anticipated that that was going to happen someday or the other.

His warm breath was flooding my face as he stooped down and looked deep in my big eyes.

I could feel his heart pumping fast inside his chest as it was crushing my soft bosoms. I felt a warm unruly sensation to run down my whole serpentine frame.

I controlled my anger, at the same time I felt to melt by his touch.

He lowered down his voice and said to me---“I have bought a bike and I want you to be the first lady to sit on the pillion.”

I clenched my jaws to control all the feelings of attraction that was probably peeking and threw away those from the corner of my heart. “Was I getting carried away?” I told to myself in that fraction of second. I gathered myself up and pressed my hand on his broad chest. Pushed him aside and gave a fiery look at him.

---“You should not do this to me Debobroto.”

He pleaded---“Why? What is wrong with me?”

I shook my head---“There is nothing wrong with you, but there is something wrong in me. I can’t give you what you seek for. There is someone waiting for you.”

It was his turn to get surprised---“Who?”

I held him by his wrist and pulled him inside the class room. I looked at Teesta. Her eyes were filled up with fear, pain and bewilderment.

I pointed to Teesta and said to Debobroto---“She is waiting for you. Go and live your life.”

Debobroto gave a bewildered look at me---“And you?”

I shouted at him---“What me? Can’t you see in her eyes? Go. She is your long lost fairy.”

I came near Teesta and handed his hand in hers. She was almost in tears. I felt the gurgle in Debobroto’s chest as he held her palms tightly.

He looked at her glistening eyes and said to her---“It took five years for you to understand me?”

She was sitting on the bench so she had to throw her arms around his waist. He pressed her head on his tummy and they melted away. Debobroto gave an admiring look at me and nodded his head to express gratitude.

I touched Teesta’s cheek and said her---“I kept my word and now don’t let him go.”

I looked at her face, smiling and filled up with gratitude. She was about to unclasp him and hug me. I signed her not to come near me. I wiped the corner of my eyes and walked away from there.

I closed my eyes, I saw on my right that a white unicorn was trotting towards me. I looked on my left I found a tiny sapling growing on the ground. I turned towards the sapling and put my left foot forward, crushed that tiny green sapling and then waited for the unicorn to come near me and touch my neck.

My M.Sc. final exam was just over. I was very happy, as I knew that I would come out with flying colours. I was also happy that at last I would be able to free myself from the ivory cage of the emperor and the empress. The princess at last sensed the air of freedom.

One fine summer morning when no one was present at home, I called my Mom.

---“Ma, my exams are over I am coming back to you.”

Her voice was choked as she heard her daughter’s voice saying her that she would return to her lap---“Yes. Paree I am waiting.”

Her motherly concern flowed from her throat---“Now return to me lap my child.”

---“Yes Ma, now on whatever I do, I will do from my native place. I will search job and be with you, Ma.”

She asked me---“Have you got any news of Abhimanyu?”

I took a deep breath and then said to her---“No Ma. He has not contacted me yet, but I am sure he will come. I will wait for him, Ma. I know that by my heart that he will come back.”

---“Ok. So when are you coming back?”

---“Within few weeks.”

She gave good news to me---“Kalyani is expecting a child.”

I was surprised to hear that---“Really, I will call her just now.”

After talking with my Mom, I called Kalyani.

---“Congratulation! When did this happen?”

Kalyani’s voice was low; I felt she was also very happy---“Two months ago. I missed the last period then I was bit skeptical. But when I consulted doctor then I was certain.”

I was very happy, everything was going very well.

I almost screamed---“I am coming back to village. I will look after you.”

---“Surely I am waiting for you.”

I called Teesta after that.

---“Hey how are you doing?”

Teesta was bit surprised to hear my jovial voice---“You are sounding very happy today.”

---“Yes, I am going back to my native place.”

She was taken aback on hearing that. She screamed at the other end---“Means? You are leaving Kolkata forever?”

I calmed her down---“I am leaving that does not mean that I won’t be in touch with you.”

Her voice was low---“I want to meet you. Now.”

I calmed her down---“Ok. Before I leave for village, I will meet you. I give you my word.”

“Promise.” Her voice was shaky.

---“Promise dear.”

I told to ChotoMa that I would goto village for a change. She didn’t object. I didn’t disclose my real intention to her. My real intention was to break that chain and fly forever. I knew that very well that if I stay at their house then I would be married to someone else. I won’t be able to wait for him. More than seven hundred and thirty days had passed I heard his voice. Every night I used to take out his “Optics Notebook” and wrote my memoirs, my longings, my sleepless nights, my kisses. Every page I wrote bore marks of my red lips. Few pages also bore the wet marks of my dew drops those fell from, according to his writing “lotus buds”.

Chapter 9: Cord snapped

---------------------------

ChotoMa was busy in buying gifts for my Mom and other family members. She was also happy as she has at last met what she promised my Mom. She was happy to see my smiling face. But she was unaware of my real intention.

The eventful day was approaching when I would enjoy my twenty-eighth monsoon on this Mother Earth. That day was to come in forty-five days from then.

With every passing day I asked myself the same question “When are you going to come? I am restless now. Your thoughts are killing me with every passing second. I spend sleepless night tossing on my bed. I remember each and every moment of the fighting we had on the first night, and I laugh. I remember those sweet kisses and the first night at Chitkul. Come quickly, I am waiting for you, my Unicorn. This time I want to ride with you and roam on those grasslands, over the meadows, on the valleys beneath those high pine and cedar trees. This time I won’t fly away. I just want to ride with you, walk by your side. I want to feel your strong arms around me. I want your warmth in the cold night.”

One day Debobroto called and asked that he and Teesta wants to meet me.

I asked him---“When and where?”

Teesta was by his side, I could hear her voice as she yelled out---“Now.”

I laughed at her and asked Debobroto to hand over the phone to her.

She asked me---“I am not going to wait for long. We both want to meet you.”

It was very hot and humid outside so I asked them to come to my house.

Both of them arrived after few hours. I looked at Teesta; she was dressed in a simple cotton salwar. She had her braids flowing nicely till the mid of her back. No ponytail.

I smiled at her and contracted my brows “What happened to you?”

She gave me a coy look and pointed at Debobroto ---“He doesn’t like me in those jeans and tops.”

“Oooooooo….” I looked at Debobroto and asked, “That’s nice. So how are you two going along?”

Debobroto clenched his jaws as he looked into my eyes and said---“I don’t know what type of person you are. I thought I know you very well but I failed to understand you in these two years. Since you are older to me and ….”

I looked at him and asked---“And what?”

“And nothing, I don’t have words as what to express and how to express” he looked away hiding his emotions.

Teesta rubbed his back to douse his emotions. She looked at me and said---“He is telling the truth. We both have lost our vocabulary as what to express. You are out of this world person. Can I ask you something, very personal although?”

I sensed as what would be the question so I guarded myself well and said to them---“I know very well as what you are going to ask. Don’t ask you won’t get the answer from me.”

Both of them nodded their head and said---“Our best wishes will always be with you. You will surely meet the person you are waiting for.”

I smiled at them and said to myself “I know that dear. Just I am going through a trough of time.”

Mid June, on one fine summer morning. I was in the kitchen preparing breakfast for ChotoMa and Babu. ChotoMa told to me the other night that she would visit my Mom on that day.

I was very happy. The phone rang.

ChotoMa answered the phone and screamed. Her voice choked. I came running from the kitchen on hearing her shrieks.

---“WHEN, HOW. NO….”

I felt a huge tremble rattled the coast of my chest. I stood there holding the chair in my clutch. I looked into those flooding eyes of ChotoMa as she looked at me.

My eyes were hazy, my chest gurgled out.

I cried out to ChotoMa---“What happened?”

She did not answer my question.

She bit her lower lips and said to the person on the phone---“NO we are coming. Just keep her there. I don’t want my child to goto crematorium.”

I clutched the front fabric of my dress, ran to ChotoMa, and asked as what happened. Her silence was killing me.

She kept the phone and threw her arms around me, hugged me tightly. She was uncontrollable.

She called out Babu and asked him to call the cab.

I was still not sure as where I was going and what happened to whom.

Babu asked ChotoMa as what happened to whom.

She was unable to speak. She pressed my head on her bosoms and said to Babu---“My Aunt…. Call the cab.”

When I heard “My aunt” from her shaken lips, I turned into a stone. I closed my eyes. My whole life got drained on that single word from ChotoMa’s lips. The whole world shook. I dug my face on her lap and I do not remember what happened after that.

When I opened my eyes, I found myself on the bed.

Teesta and Delisha were by my side. They both took me in their arms, but I was turned into stone. I lost my speech. Both of them somehow dressed me.

For the whole journey to my home, I kept very quiet. Danish brought his brother’s car.

ChotoMa and Babu were in the cab.

I came out of the car, like a stone effigy. I looked on the courtyard. My beloved Mother’s frame was draped in a white cotton cloth, lying peacefully under the Holy Basil plant.

After few hours she was taken away from the courtyard forever. I was unable to cry or to say something. I was unable to breathe properly. I felt a huge boulder on my chest, under which all my feelings, my pains, my tears were buried. I was unable to remove that boulder to express my tears.

The whole eleven days, my youngest sister-in-law, Maithili was by my side. She nursed me, took care of my broken heart, tried to stitch that but she failed. She tried to mend those holes but those were of no use. I was turned into stone, I was unable to express my feelings. I confined myself in my room for eleven days.

Every one of my family members was present on the eleventh day of the mourning ceremony. Indrani Di and Chandrani Di said to me that I was in good hands of ChotoMa and Babu.

No one would ever know the truth. No one would believe my words that my life was like a beautiful princess living in an ivory cage.

Only I knew where I was going.

The day before, I was to return back with ChotoMa and Babu, I went to the tree he planted in the backyard. I plucked a twig and wrapped that in my handkerchief. I took a fist full of the earth from the ground beneath the tree and tied that in my handkerchief.

I kissed the trunk of that tree and then I cried out---“Abhimanyu, your beloved Paree died today.”

At least till few days ago there was a faint ray of hope. It faded away forever.

My umbilical cord, the last cord snapped away. I was then at mercy of ChotoMa and Babu. I waited to meet my fate.

======== END OF PART I ===========

Part 2: Blistered Feet

--------------------------

Chapter 1: Fairy Surrender

------------------------------

The princess returned to her ivory cage. She returned with broken heart, lost hopes. She observed that the mast of the old wooden ship vanished on the separator of the horizon. The unicorn never touched her shoulder, never neighed after that. She looked back for the unicorn. It was nowhere to be seen. There was a dark could overhead.

I turned twenty-eight on that August. I crept in my shell and confined me to my room. I was unperturbed about the world around me. ChotoMa and Babu were very much worried about my health. I was unable to come in terms that my Mother was gone. I was unable to come to terms that my Unicorn was lost. All the rays, glimmer everything burnt in the pyre with mother. She never expressed to ChotoMa as what she actually wanted. The unicorn, my thief never came back or contacted me.

The “Optics Notebook” never came out of the bookshelf after the demise of my mother. It was of no use to me then.

One evening ChotoMa came to my room.

She said to me---“Paree, I am like your mother.”

I nodded my head “Yes you are like my mother but not my mother.”

I gave a painful smile at her and asked---“What do you want from me now?”

---“Why are you asking me like that? What can a mother ask from her daughter?”

“I wanted to be your daughter-in-law and not your daughter” instead I asked her---“Are you searching for groom?”

She nodded her head and said---“Yes. Both I and your Babu were thinking of that.”

I gave a disturbed look at her---“But I want to be a teacher? What about that, you promised me?”

She sat beside me and rubbed her palms on my cheek---“We will surely search for a groom who will allow your further studies or will allow you for job.”

---“So you want to get rid of me as soon as possible? Is that so?”

She scolded me---“Don’t talk like that. I am not getting rid of you.”

I gathered all my courage to fight for a last time. I had my back on the wall, I had nothing to lose then.

---“You know very well that I have nowhere to go. I do not want to marry now. I want to go back to my native place.”

Her voice burned---“You can’t go back. Who will look after you, your brother’s? No, they have their own families to look after. Even they will try to get rid of you. You know very well about the intentions of Indrani and Shasanko.”

I gave a helpless look at her “Are you emotionally blackmailing me?” I said to her that I need some time to think.

She said that she had already advertised in the leading newspapers of Kolkata.

Someone poured boiling oil on my head then---“Don’t you feel to consult me for once?”

She kept her voice very calm---“What we are doing is for your better only, Paree. We know what will be good for you and what is bad for you.”

I took a deep breath and requested me to be left alone for some time.

I sat cowered on the bed, resting my face on my knees looked out of the window. The sky was gloom. Monsoon was still then lingering on the sky of Kolkata. I lost all my hopes, as there was no communication from him till then.

Every evening there were numerous calls. I observed that Babu and ChotoMa were busy in noting all the information in a diary. I paid no heed to what all was happening. At times, they asked me as what type of groom I wanted in my life.

One day I said to them---“ChotoMa, I will repay your debt by doing my duty. I am not your own blood and flesh and even after that, you have done a lot for me. But….”

They both looked at me and asked “What?”

I held my breath for few seconds and then said---“For once, can I go to the room in the second floor? I want the key.”

They were taken aback by my request. They looked at each other’s face.

Babu said to me in his roaring voice---“No. You cannot go to that room. That is locked forever.”

I gave a displeased look at them and said to them---“If you are so adamant in marrying me off, then why are you searching so much? Just get anyone and I will marry.”

I slammed the door behind me. My brain was burning in angst and pain.

I cursed him with all worst words I could think of that day “He is treacherous. He does not have a heart in his chest. He is a lost soul.”

I was awake on my bed, looking outside the window. I was unable to sleep. There was a huge vacuum inside my heart. Nothing was able to fill that vacuum. I rubbed my bosoms, my cleavage to douse the pain. But every time I touched myself, the pain grew stronger.

It was probably midnight; I heard a soft knock on my door.

I got up, opened the door, and was surprised to see ChotoMa standing at the door.

She handed me the key of his room on the second floor and looked at me with her painful eyes. Her eyes were glistening.

She wiped few drops of tears from the corner of her eyes and said in a low voice---“Go. But I want a positive answer in the morning.”

I nodded my head and took the key from her hand.

I tip-toed to the room in the second floor. I took a deep breath to control a turbulent wave that was brewing inside my chest. I bit my lower lips as I anticipated that when I will open the door he would be standing in front of me. I unlocked the key and pushed open the door. The room was closed for two long years. Not even air was allowed to dwell in that room. The turbulence reached my throat and my chest shook like a candle flame.

There was stench odour in the room. I found a dead rat under the table. There was dust all over his reading table, over his bed. The bed sheet was not changed in last two years. I found lizards and rats goo strewn all over his bed. The side-stands of the bed were covered with the cobwebs.

I pushed opened the windows.

I dusted the chair and sat beside the window. I clenched my fist and bit my fingers between my teeth. My eyes got soaked. I wiped that aqua drop from the corner of my eyes. “I don’t want to cry.” I told to myself. The day before that fateful day, he was painting my portrait. I sat there in that very posture for quiet sometime. I looked inside the room. My eyes tried hard to search him whether he was still sketching my portrait or not. No, he was not there.

I opened the drawer of his table and found a small wooden box. I opened that box and found several small glass marbles in that box.

I looked around the room for one last time, closed the windows. I closed my eyes; a solitary drop of aqua trailed down my left cheek and soaked the tip of my nose. I locked the room. Burying all his reminiscences inside the room, behind me, I climbed down the stairs.

I came down and found that ChotoMa was sitting in the drawing room waiting for me.

I handed her the key and said to her---“I don’t have any choice. Wherever my fate takes me I will accept that.”

That night, once I was inside my room, I wrapped the “Optics Notebook” and the small Laughing Buddha that he presented me at Nako, in brown paper. I tied that packet with cello-tape and red ribbons. Then I searched for a cardboard box and packed that. I sealed that box with wax.

I told my ChotoMa that I wanted to visit Kalyani. She did not object.

I gave the packet to Kalyani.

She asked me as I handed her the box---“What is this?”

I looked at the box and said---“This contains some worthless materials. This contains his diary and a small present. These are now worthless for me. I do not have the courage to destroy that. If you can keep this then keep this or else you can destroy this. ChotoMa and Babu are searching for a groom for me. I will get married soon.”

She looked at me and yelled---“What are you doing? If he comes back, then?”

I shook my head in utter dismay---“After two years, you think he will come back for me? NO he is not coming back. He has forgotten that he loved someone. He has forgotten that someone is waiting for him. He ditched me. He is a coward, heartless fellow. He has forgotten that he has his parents who are also crying for him.”

She shook her head and looked at me with tears in her eyes. I did not have any tears in my eyes then. My ears were although burning in angst. My nose flared.

I asked her---“Why are you shedding your tears for an ill fated girl like me? You should not. You are going to be a good mother.”

She looked at me and said---“Paree…”

That name, choked my voice. I said to her---“Kalyani, Paree died long ago. It is Mita sitting in front of you.”

She touched my shoulder. That touch made my heart go meek in pain. I could not control myself anymore. I sobbed out as she pressed my head on her shoulder and rubbed my back.

I sobbed out repeatedly---“Paree died. She died that day he left me. She died again with my mother. I do not have enough life left to die. I will meet my fate, whatever it comes.”

I did not go to my house in my village that day. I returned the same day to Kolkata.

Before returning, I said to her with a painful smile---“I invite you in advance at my wedding.”

She rubbed her womb and said to me---“He is kicking. I don’t know whether I would be able to attend your wedding or not, but Dipankar will surely go.”

I passed my days as a lifeless corpse. I forgot to smile, I forgot to laugh.

Few days after that, ChotoMa said to me that they have to attend a wedding and I had to accompany with them.

I understood that they want to arrange an acquaintance with some prospective groom. She asked me to dress in my turquoise coloured silk saree. She asked me to dress beautifully.

I could understand as what all was going to happen so I did not objected to what all they asked me to do.

That day after a long time, I felt to dress. I felt that I should wipe out my fears, my pain my angst, and lead a new life. I said to myself “Why should I wait for someone who has not thought of about my pains.”

I dressed in my beautiful saree, with short-sleeved blouse of same color. The saree had silver and white embroidery all over the upper loose end that covered my front part. I tied my hair in plaids. It was long enough to touch below my spine. I glued a light blue and dark blue dot between my whip like brows and painted my rosy lips under dark tan lip colour. I applied black eye pencil under my eyes and shaped up my long eye lashes. I took out those long gold earrings, which ChotoMa bought few weeks ago for my wedding. I tied the heavy gold necklace around my neck that ChotoMa presented me when she first met me at Subroto’s wedding. Few turquoise and white bangles adorned my thin right creamy wrist. On the left, I tied the titan watch.

I took a deep breath and looked myself in the mirror.

I smiled on myself---“Suchismita, you are looking very beautiful.”

That day, I felt to make him jealous. That day, no one touched my shoulder or complimented me.

As I walked out of room, ChotoMa and Babu looked at me and smiled.

---“You are looking very beautiful.”

I smiled back and said---“Can we go now? I know the reason very well, ChotoMa. I am twenty-eight and I have brain in my cranium.”

She smiled and shook her head---“Whatever I am doing I am doing for your good only, Paree.”

I was about to say to her “Paree died, ChotoMa. The person standing in front of you is Suchismita.”

But I restrained myself.

At the gathering, I was always by side of her as I was unknown to all the people there. It was wedding of one relative of Babu.

As we entered, many persons turned their face towards me. Most of the males were giving a courtesy smile by looking at me. I smiled back at them.

I was introduced to the bride and the groom. I wished the bride for her well being.

I was left alone after sometime, so I sat on a chair on the balcony, looking up the dark night sky.

Durga Puja was near. The sky was bereft of rain clouds. There were stars twinkling. As I had nothing to do so I started counting the stars to kill my time.

My counting was broken as I heard someone to cough near me.

I looked up to find as who was there.

I saw a handsome person, probably of my age. He was tall, clean shaven. His jaws were strong. He was wearing a brown suit. From his built, I could fathom that he was a strong bodied person with muscular figure.

He looked at me and joined his palms to express courtesy to me.

I stood up and returned back his courtesy by joining my hands. I felt bit uncomfortable by his sudden presence.

His voice was very masculine as he talked---“I am Niladri Karmakar.”

I hesitated little and then smiled back at him---“Suchismita.”

He nodded his head and said---“I know that. Your Mom said to me.”

“My Mom?” I thought at first and then I was clear as he pointed to ChotoMa.

I looked at ChotoMa, who was standing at a distance talking to some aged person.

He continued---“My brother is manager in Jhamadoba colliery near to Dhanbad. Do you know Dhanbad?”

I nodded my head---“Yes I have heard of Dhanbad.”

He pointed to the person talking to ChotoMa---“That is my father, Kamalesh Karmakar. He is very renowned coal contractor in Dhanbad.”

---“My brother’s name is Himadri. He passed out from ISM Dhanbad. You know ISM, Indian School of Mines?”

I nodded my head again “Yes”.

He continued---“You have done M.Sc. in physics. Right? My brother also is very bright. He is mining engineer. He passed out in nineteen-ninety-five.”

I calculated his brother’s age in my mind he must be thirty-two years of age. Same time I thought, “Why he was talking about his brother instead of himself.”

He then asked me to sit on the chair and then he lit a cigarette.

He said then---“My father is looking for a beautiful bride for him.”

I smiled to myself “Oh! No, so all these were for your brother?”

He probably understood why I laughed---“No, no, no. I am only twenty-eight years old. I might be of same age as of yours.”

We both laughed out as he found my face turning red in shame. I looked the other way to hide my coy face.

He joked at me---“So, what do I call you? Suchismita Boudi is a very long name to call.”

I could not stop laughing. I joked at him---“I am still not your Boudi.”

He pointed out to ChotoMa and his father and said---“The way they are talking to each other. I am sure they want to finalize your marriage in the same fire here.”

I was feeling very light hearted. I was enjoying the way he spoke.

I asked---“Where is your brother?”

He slapped his forehead---“Work, work and work. He should have seen you. I am sure he will forget his work then.”

Again, it was my turn to hide my coy face. I bit my lower rosy soft lips to control my brewing smile.

He bent towards me and looked at my smiling face and said---“My brother is surely going to die.”

I felt bit uncomfortable by his over friendly actions.

I turned back to see what ChotoMa was doing. I saw that they were standing just behind us.

ChotoMa signed me to touch that aged man’s feet. I bent down to touch his feet to express my regards.

He touched my head and said---“I was looking for a Lakshmi for long time. I think my search is complete now.”

I looked down, to my feet to hide my pains which came in my eyes.

I told to myself “So this is fate. I am getting married at last. Total unknown horizon beckons me.”

That person told to ChotoMa---“It would have been better if Himadri would have been here. We have to come again to see my daughter-in-law.”

ChotoMa asked him---“This time please bring your wife along.”

Babu came near us and took away Niladri and Niladri’s father along with him.

ChotoMa touched my chin and said to me---“He is a nice person. His son, Himadri is an engineer.”

I looked at ChotoMa’s face and gave a faint smile “So you have at last find a way to get rid of me.”

Before leaving the venue, Niladri came to me and said to me---“We are coming next Sunday. I am sure that you will be my Boudi.”

I smiled softly at him and looked the other way. In reality I was unperturbed of what all was happening around me. Everything seemed fake. All those smiles I gave all those happiness I showed.

After we came back, Babu told to me that they would come on next Sunday to finalise the dates.

I nodded my head and said---“Is there any need to get acquainted with the person I am marrying?”

---“Sure, you must get acquainted with the person.”

“I am already a pain to you” instead I said---“If you are all happy then I need not know, with whom I am getting married. Just tell me that on this day, I have to sit there in front of the sacrament pyre. I will oblige to every order.” My voice was cold and unperturbed.

ChotoMa said in a painful voice---“Please, Paree. At least don’t behave like this on that day.”

I clenched my jaws---“Leave me alone.” I slammed the door behind me.

The fateful Sunday arrived. As usual, I bathed in morning and dressed in a simple blue salwar kurta. It was morning ten o’clock. I was in the kitchen preparing lunch. Several dishes were prepared. ChotoMa helped me to prepare. Tiger prawns, fried rice and many more. While preparing those dishes for a single moment I told to myself “He was a simple fellow, with simple choice of food. Pulses and rice would contend him very much.”

The door bell ranged. Babu went to open the door. ChotoMa came into kitchen and asked me to wear saree.

I said to her---“If they choose me, then they would choose me not for my dress. I am not going to wear saree and sit there like a doll.”

She scolded me in a deep voice---“Go and change now.”

I clenched my jaws and walked to my room. I saw a middle aged woman in the dining room.

She looked at me and said in a soothing voice---“You don’t need to change. You are ok in what you are.”

ChotoMa signed me to touch her feet. I stooped to touch her feet.

She placed her palm on my head and said---“Just like I wanted.” She asked me to come along with her to the drawing room.

I looked at ChotoMa and said to her---“I need a moment.”

ChotoMa gave a displease look at me and said---“Don’t be late.” She came near me and whispered in my ears---“Don’t let us down, Paree.”

I nodded my head and assured her that “I won’t let you down.” Instead of my room, I went into the restroom and looked my face in the mirror.

My reflection said to me “So there you are at last. Smile and embrace what is coming to you.”

I said to my reflection, “This is a lifeless frame, who is doing her duty.”

I entered the drawing room and looked at Himadri. That day Niladri did not come. There was his parents and the groom with whom my fate was to get bounded for life time.

I joined my palms and offered my courtesy to Himadri. He stood up and joined his hands back.

In a fraction of seconds, I measured that Himadri was just few inches taller than me. If he walk beside me then I would look taller than him. I lost few pounds then.

He was dark brown in complexion. Probably his work nature had made his skin tanned. Front part of his head was bald. He had a thick moustache, black lips. His nose was wide, not chiseled as him. His tummy was slightly protruding out between the open blazers.

I sat on the opposite couch. His father asked few questions about my studies and about my families. I answered them quietly.

Then he said to ChotoMa---“We are looking for a homemaker.”

He asked me---“What do you want to do after marriage?”

I looked at ChotoMa and then at Himadri.

I pulled all my strength and spoke---“I always wanted to be a teacher.”

All the time Himadri was very calm and quiet. He was measuring me with his keen sharp eyes.

I gave a courtesy smile at him, without looking directly in his eyes.

Babu asked his father that they should leave us alone.

My heart started to beat louder, then. I felt that my chest would burst out and the blood would get spilled on the floor. My face turned red as I had to sit in front of a total unknown person like a ivory idol.

After they went out, there was a long silence in the room. I could hear my heart beat cutting the painful silence.

Himadri coughed to break the silence running between us and asked---“You passed out from Presidency this year?”

I nodded my head to say “Yes”.

---“Renowned college.”

I nodded again “Yes.”

I had my fist clenched, resting on my lap. I looked down to the centre table, on which I could see the reflection of his face. His eyes were fixated on my face.

---“Suchismita, is a long name. What should I call you?”

I felt not to answer that query, so I kept quiet.

His next sentence made me laugh---“What do you love to do except keeping silent?”

I bit my lower lips as my face turned red in coy. I looked at him directly with my big eyes.

He was smiling at me. Our eyes met for the first time.

He said to me---“Don’t take my father’s word seriously. I assure you that I will not oppose your ambition. I know some schools in Dhanbad where you will be able to teach Physics.”

I was very much relieved by hearing that.

I gave a grateful look at him and nodded my head “Thanks”.

He smiled at me and said---“Why don’t you say something about yourself? Niladri has told you about me, already. But I am still to hear something from your lips.”

I spoke calmly looking at my lap---“I have nothing to ask. If you have something to ask, you can ask me. I will try my best to satisfy you with my answers.”

I took a deep breath, there was no feelings running inside my brain. I sat there unfazed unperturbed.

He noticed my silent calm expressionless face. He looked at my face for a long time. Again, there was a long silence running between us.

I thought that I should say something---“I hope you will not leave before lunch.”

He bent forward and rested his elbow on his knees and his face came near me---“So you cook also?”

I gently nodded my head “Yes.”

---“Then I will surely not leave before lunch.”

I liked his way of conversation.

I was praised for the lunch that I prepared. A fake smile was always on my face as I was requested by ChotoMa to behave well.

After they went away, I came to my room and sat on the bed. I looked outside the window. My mind was totally blank. I was unable to think of anything that time. My future was then like a barren desert, I did not know whether there would be oasis in that desert or not.

ChotoMa came and sat beside me. She asked me---“Do you like him or not?”

I was disturbed by her question, she already knew what I like and what not. Even after that she was asking me such question.

I gave a blank look at her and said---“If you all have made up your mind then what can I say.”

She said to me---“His father is a renowned person in Dhanbad. They are rich. He is engineer also. I had several other matches for you. IAS, IPS but I wanted that you at least do not go far away from me. Dhanbad is only six hours distance by train. You can visit me anytime. I can visit you anytime.”

I nodded my head---“It is ok.”

She touched my cheek and asked me to smile. I gave a faint painful smile at her to keep her request.

I came to know form ChotoMa that Himadri’s house was in Hirapur in Dhanbad. He lived with his parents. He had a younger brother Niladri who helps his father in his coal-contractor. His mother, Rajani Karmakar was a house-wife.

Maithili and Meghna were informed about my marriage.

My sacrament was fixed in mid of December on that year.

I called Kalyani one night to inform her about my marriage.

She was quiet for some time and then said to me---“I won’t be able to stand before your sniveled face. Dipankar will attend your wedding.”

I clenched my fist and softly banged my forehead and sobbed out---“Who can stand before a girl’s fate? We are women, we have to sacrifice. We were born to get sacrificed.”

She kept the phone.

I could not sleep that night. I did not shed any tears also.

Next morning, I was very much surprised to find Maithili in my house. When I woke up, I found her in the drawing room talking to ChotoMa.

She looked at me and pushed me inside my room.

She constricted her brows and asked---“What are you doing, Paree?”

I was bewildered by her gesture and gave a blank look at her. “What happened?”

She pulled my hand, pushed me on the bed, and asked---“You are marrying, what about him?”

I looked down and gently scratched the bed-sheet---“What else can I do?”

She pulled up my face. My eyes were already dripping painful tears.

She pulled my face on her bosom and said---“Tell me where he is. I will arrange everything. You go away. I will handle whatever happens here.”

I shook my head and sobbed---“I have no place to go, Churni. He has ditched me.”

She wiped my tears and said---“Don’t ever say those words that you have no place to go. I am always with you, Paree. Whatever be it happens. But I am helpless like you. Indrani Di, Chandrani Di and your brothers, they think that what Ulupi Di is doing is good for you.”

For the first time, I saw her eyes glistening with love and pain simultaneously.

I threw my arms around her waist and sobbed out---“My Mother is no more. He has not contacted me still. I do not know where he is or how he is. I have no place to go, Churni. His fairy has surrendered to her fate.”

Chapter 2: Sacrament Flames

-----------------------------------

From the first week of November, I sensed the rumble building up in the house. I started to count my days left in that ivory cage. Same time I was unable to console myself that I was getting freed. I was unaware in every sense as what type of horizon beckons me.

One night Himadri called me on my mobile.

---“How are you, Suchi? Have you slept already?”

I got a new name, “Suchi”, for my in-laws.

I answered---“No. I was about to goto bed.”

He hesitated for a moment and asked me---“Can we meet this Sunday?”

---“You will come from Dhanbad to here?”

---“What is the harm? I have few unanswered queries. Just need to clear with you and also we need to understand each other. Right Suchi? A single acquaintance does not speak volumes.”

---“Why don’t you come to my house then? ChotoMa and Babu will also be happy.”

He joked at me---“Feeling insecure?”

I was unfazed on his reactions---“No. But I have to ask ChotoMa.”

---“No need of that, I have already talked to her. She will let you go. I will come to your house and then we can go out somewhere.”

I answered---“If you have already taken the permission, then there is no need to ask me. You have not asked me whether I would like to go or not.”

Probably my answer offended him a bit. I also felt that the answer was little rude.

I apologized to him---“Sorry. I was bit rude.”

---“Come on, Suchi. Don’t be so formal.”

On that Sunday, he took me out. I was in blue salwar suit. I dressed myself in total simplicity. Without any heavy makeup, I tied my hair in a soft bun. He was in a pair of blue denim and a white shirt.

We were sitting Aheli in Peerless Inn.

He asked me---“ChotoMa is your cousin sister, right?”

I nodded my head “Yes”

---“So why do you call her ChotoMa?”

---“She is like my mother.”

He nodded his head “Ok. I have to tell you something about me”

I looked at him and constricted my brows. I was skeptical as what was he going to divulge.

---“I drink a little and smoke also.”

“Ok” I nodded my head. “I think that is due to your work pressure.”

He smiled at me and said---“You understand everything.”

I smiled back at him.

---“Where would you like to go after our marriage? I have heard that you love hill station, so would where would like to go?”

I spoke softly---“No I don’t love hill-station. My head aches due to the serpentine narrow roads.”

I lied to him, I did not want to go to any hill-station, and the hills would remind me of my lost Unicorn.

“Ok then we will goto Andaman then” he smiled. “I was also thinking of going to Andaman for a long time.”

He paused a bit and then asked a question.

He asked---“Your ChotoMa has a son. Where is he? Is he going to attend your wedding?”

His query shook the root of my heart. I clenched my fist under the table so as the emotions do not overcome my smiling face.

I looked down to the plate and shook my head “I do not know.”

---“Ok. By the way what colour would you suggest for a car?”

I was surprised by his question. He looked in my face and asked me again.

I asked---“You are buying a new car?”

---“Yes I am. Maruti Baleno.”

I understood from the sly smile that the car was a dowry, given to him to buy my security. A thick stream of blood raced to my head. My nose flared up.

I said to myself “What all debt I have to bore on this small painful heart.”

I told him that I was not feeling well and I would like to return.

He obliged to my request and took me back.

After he left, ChotoMa and Babu called me in their room. There was file opened in front of him.

He showed me few papers and said---“These are some papers.”

He handed me a account book and said that---“It contains some bank balance in your name, which your mother deposited for you.”

He then handed me few fixed deposit papers and said---“Your property share has been sold of seven lakhs rupees. I have added more three lakhs and that make it a total of ten lakhs rupees.”

I sat on the bed and looked at those papers and then I asked to ChotoMa---“Are you giving a car in dowry?”

ChotoMa looked at me and asked---“Who told you?”

“Tell me the answer. Are you giving a car or not? Is that car is the price of my security?” My voice sounded very stern when I asked them.

Babu spoke in a persuading voice---“Paree, it is not a dowry. We had to gift you something special as we looked after you as our own. I thought that why not a car. Half of which he is going to take loan from his office.”

“What more burden of debt you all are going to put over my shoulder?” I spoke in a cold voice.

ChotoMa rubbed her palm on my head. I was very uncomfortable at that moment.

I yelled out at her---“Leave me. Do whatever you want, whatever you like. No need to consult me or ask me even.”

Few days after that, Himadri and Niladri came to our house. We all went to a Maruti Suzuki showroom in Park street. Himadri asked me as what colour would I prefer for my car. A Maruti Baleno was to be presented to Himadri. “Present or price for my security?”

I smiled and said---“I have no choice of colours. Whatever you feel better, you can have that.”

He hugged me gently by my shoulder and said---“Come on! Suchi. White or black? Black is better.”

Niladri said---“White is good, but the scratches will be easily noticed. Lets prefer the steel colour.”

He looked at me and said---“After all Boudi’s choice has to be preferred. What is your choice?”

I nodded my head like a timid girl and gave my acknowledgement for the black colour, so as not to hurt Himadri. His gaze was expressing that I should choose black, whatever be it in my mind.

On second week of November, Maithili arrived at our house.

She stayed by my side till the moment I sat before the sacrament pyre and I was “Mrs. Suchismita Karmakar”.

Shopping was on its full fledged mode. I did not accompany in any occasion of those shopping. Only once, I accompanied ChotoMa when she went to buy the red “Benarasi” saree. ChotoMa and Maithili did most of the shopping. I kept myself busy with the house chores and reading books. I could not think of anything. Most of the time my mind went blank.

I called Teesta and Delisha and informed them that I was getting married. They were very happy to hear that news.

One day Debobroto and Teesta arrived to my house. We all were sitting in my room, Maithili was also present.

Teesta asked me---“So at last our Mita is getting married.”

An unknown fear and pain wringed inside my chest.

Maithili looked at my face and answered to Teesta---“You are her friends, right.”

Teesta could not understand as what she meant to say. She nodded her head “Yes.”

Maithili gave a blank reply---“Nothing as such. Just asking”

One evening, ChotoMa and Babu called me to their room. They asked me to sit as they need to tell me something very important. I looked at them and was anxious as what would they say.

ChotoMa spoke---“Paree, we both know what we are doing for you. We have something to tell you as you will be stepping in a new realm of your life.”

I asked them---“What?”

ChotoMa said to me---“Just by meeting for few days, we cannot know how a person is or how the family is. This is the truth. Everyone has got a mask on their faces. As we keep on moving in our lives, we come to know about those persons.”

I was not clear as what they were trying to make me understand so I asked again---“Why are you telling these to me? I know that where I am going is a total new horizon for me. I will try my level best to cope with their family.”

She soothed my cheek and said---“Why I am telling these, is. Himadri works in a coal mine and stays with his parents. His father is a coal contractor. So it is hard to say how their mentality would be. But we all hope for the best. You have got a good bank balance and fixed deposits. Don’t divulge all those details, till you find a appropriate time. Understood?”

Tears almost engulfed my eyes. I looked at Babu and said---“You fixed my marriage and now you are saying that you are not sure as what type of family they are?”

I bit my lower lips and looked at ChotoMa and said to her---“What do you want me to do?”

She touched my palm and said---“Be quiet, don’t cry. After your marriage all I want that, you need to pester Himadri so that he can take a transfer to Kolkata in head office of Coal India Limited. You will be near me, in-front of me.”

I shook my head in dismay, clenched my jaws “ChotoMa, what are you doing? You have lost your son that does not mean that you can take away another son from his mother like this.”

She probably understood what I wanted to say---“Paree. Whatever I am saying is for your good only.”

I sobbed out---“ChotoMa, you know very well what was good for me. Please don’t hurt me more.”

Babu was unable to take anything more so he left the room.

ChotoMa took my face, her eyes were also hazy---“What you ask for, I can’t oblige that. That is a not done, Paree. Why don’t you try to understand? Everyone will curse me.”

I removed her hand from my face in angst and pain---“Please leave me.”

I walked out of the room, wiping my tears. My heart was paining.

Gradually the close relatives started pouring in. Indrani Di and her family arrived few days before my wedding. Chandrani Di also arrived with her family. Shasanko Da, Meghna and Dushtu also arrived.

The day Dushtu came, I was unable to meet his queer juvenile eyes. “Did he understood what was going inside my heart.”

He asked me once---“Abhi uncle is not coming?”

I ruffled his silky hair and shook my head “No.”

At last the d-day arrived. Monday, second week of December. The house was rumbling with guests.

A hall was booked for the wedding ceremony. A hotel was booked for the groom’s party.

The music of shenai was humming in the air all over the house. I was virtually pulled up from my bed in early morning. I was unable to open my eyes.

ChotoMa and few other elders came and said to me. That they would offer some puja and after that I won’t be able to take any food till the rituals are finished.

Maithili winked at me and assured me that she won’t keep me hungry that long. I gave a faint smile. Only she understood what was going through me.

In the morning, Niladri came with the turmeric paste from the groom’s house. The turmeric paste was to be applied on me as a part of the ritual.

My relatives were very much happy when they were applying the turmeric paste and sandal paste on me. Maithili gently rubbed the paste on my cheek and hid her eyes over my shoulder. One by one other ladies also applied the paste. I was taken for bath.

I came out from the bathroom in a turmeric yellow saree. ChotoMa looked at my face and touched my chin. ChotoMa came and made me wear a iron bangle, auspicious sign for every married woman. I walked inside my room slowly. I observed that Teesta and Delisha has also arrived. I smiled at them. Both were looking beautiful and was enjoying my wedding. They were unaware of my pains.

I went to the drawing room, once. The moment I stepped into the drawing room, my feet got nailed on the floor.

A huge painting was gracing the wall of the drawing room. ChotoMa was looking at the painting.

The painting was of the theme of Death of Socrates. Socrates was a great scholar, he was being given the hemlock venom by the guards of prison. With one hand he was accepting the hemlock venom and with the other he was explaining the philosophy to his students.

What a painting it was. I was dumbfounded as I saw the painting. I looked at the corner of the painting. The signature was of him. “Abhimanyu, dated nineteen-ninety-one”.

ChotoMa was missing her son very much. I understood that as she was wiping her eyes as she stood in front of the huge painting. I clenched my jaws and closed my eyes. Slowly I turned my back and I didn’t entered the drawing room.

Gradually the evening approached.

The beautician arrived. I was graced in the red Benarasi saree. The lady drew designs on my cheeks and forehead with sandal paste. My cheeks were embellished with roose. Lips were graced with red. Bluish eye shades on the eyelids. My hair was tied in a bun, graced by flowers and a thin red veil.

Maithili then bedecked me with heavy gold jewelries. Two long gold earrings were dangling from my earlobes. One by one heavy gold necklace were tied around my neck. She then put a pair of heavy gold bangles on my wrist. All the time I was looking at her face. She was also very silent. One by one some more bangles were put on. I felt a tremble inside my chest. My hands shook gently. She held my hand tightly in her clutch as she put the last bangle on my wrist.

She looked at my face, her nose flared up. Her chest shook, same as mine. My eyes went hazy as she looked in my eyes. I was unable to control my quivering lips. I bit my lower lips as she put the loose end of the saree, “aanchal”, over my head gently.

She touched my cheek and wiped the few drops from the corner of my eyes and smiled painfully at me. We both were alone in the room when she was gracing me up for the sacrament. For the whole time, we were silent. She knew very well that how helpless I was. She had lost her vocabulary then.

I looked at myself in the large mirror of the dressing table. There was a life-less beauty standing in front of the mirror with fake satisfaction smeared on her lips. Everyone was happy in that house except me. Every woman’s ultimate dream to get married was nothing but painful and full of thorns, for me.

There was a knock on the door. Maithili opened the door and I was surprised to find my eldest brother standing there.

He came into the room and looked at me from head to toe. He gently placed his soothing palm on my head and blessed me---“I am a poor brother, who has nothing to give you. So I just brought something for you.”

He handed me a piece of paper. I looked at that paper and asked him what was that.

He told me---“I have no one in this world. I was waiting for the day you get married. I have sold my share of property and this is the fixed deposit paper of seven lakhs.”

I could not control myself anymore.

I cried out---“NO…. I can’t take this. What about you? What are you going to do?”

He took out a small velvet box from his pocket and opened that. A beautiful diamond ring was twinkling inside.

He said to me---“I have sold all the gold jewelries of your Boudi and brought this for you. I am leaving the house and will goto Haridwar or Hrishikesh.”

I shook my head repeatedly---“You can’t leave me like this. No, you can’t leave me like this. No.”

It was not tears that were pouring from my eyes, it was the blood of my heart that came out.

Maithili pressed my head on her lap as I saw my elder brother for the last time. He walked out of the room wiping his tears.

I hugged Maithili’s waist with all my strength and cried out looking at the door---“Please don’t leave me Dada.”

Maithili didn’t let anyone to enter the room after that. She let those tears flow, she was also crying along with me.

She said in a quivering voice---“Paree, time has come.”

I heard ChotoMa’s voice from the other end---“Are you ready? We are getting late, Paree. Groom will arrive anytime. Hurry up.”

Maithili answered---“Give us some moment.” She looked at my face and then she wiped my tears.

Maithili wiped her eyes and said to me---“Paree we have to go.”

I slowly stood up. Looked around the room. I touched my bookshelf “Goodbye”. I touched my bed “Goodbye”. I touched my table where I finished my M.Sc. “Goodbye”.

ChotoMa came inside and looked at me from head to toe.

Her eyes were sniveled---“ShonaMa, you are looking very beautiful.”

I threw my arms around her neck, cried out---“Ma, forgive me.”

She rubbed my back and whispered in my ears---“Paree, you have to burn everything that is in your heart in the holy flames of sacrament before taking those seven steps.”

I gently nodded my head “Yes” and walked out of the room along with Teesta at one side and Maithili on another.

Delisha, Pushpanjali, Rajat, Debobroto Danish all were present and accompanied with me to the ritual place.

I sat on the dais. Every relatives came to greet me and wish me luck.

Debobroto came to me along with Teesta. Teesta was wearing a beautiful pink saree and she dressed according to the occasion. That was her best friend’s wedding.

I smiled on seeing her jovial face---“So you and Debobroto are going on well.”

Hearing that her face became red---“He is very naughty.”

“Hmmmm…….” I could not stop laughing at her.

Debobroto kneeled down before me and Teesta stood behind him. I gave a queer look at them as I could not understand as what was he or they going to do.

Debobroto took my hands, his lips quivered a bit---“Mita, please don’t forget us. I got what I wanted just because of you. Our life is indebt to you.”

Teesta bit her lower lips and sobbed out---“I was a very bad girl. It was your words in that Globe cinema changed my life.”

She threw her arms around my neck and sobbed out---“Please don’t forget us.”

I gently patted their back and lovingly shook my head---“Totally insane emotional peoples. How can I forget you two? Don’t talk about that. I will definitely come during your marriage.”

Delisha and Danish was standing behind them.

Danish screamed out---“Apa, what about me? You have forgotten me, Apa?”

I called him also to my side---“Oh! come on. I assure all of you that Dhanbad is not out of India. Wherever I will be, I will definitely attend your wedding.”

Indrani Di came to me---“You never visited my house in Mumbai. This time come with your husband.”

“Sure, I will” I nodded my head showing a fake smile on my lips.

Niladri came and whispered in my ears---“Boudi you are looking very beautiful.”

I smiled back at him.

My eyes searched for my eldest brother. He was nowhere. I asked Maithili as where he was. She told me that Sumanto Da has gone away, his train was at that night. He did not even waited for the rituals of his youngest sister’s marriage to get completed. Did he sensed the actual truth of his little cute sister’s heart? I would never know the reason why he left.

Dipankar came to me.

I asked him---“How is Kalyani?”

“Do you want to talk to her?” he called Kalyani and handed me the mobile. I was unable to speak.

My chest rumbled, it shook like a small twig---“How are you?”

She heard the silent sobs from the receiver and she said---“Keep the phone. I won’t talk to you again.”

I gently wiped the corner of my eyes and handed the phone to Dipankar. I told to myself “I am helpless, Kalyani.”

I wanted to stop the time forever, but alas, time and tide waits for none.

The night was getting darker.

ChotoMa came to me and said---“ShonaMa, time has come.”

She called Shasanko Da and Subroto Da to carry me on the wooden plank to the ritual place. Debobroto and Danish was on front two corners of the wooden plank. My brothers were on other corners. They made me sat on the wooden plank and carried me to the place, where Himadri was standing.

A huge rumble rose in the whole hall as the bride approached. All the noise were very disturbing for me. Even after that I had to keep smiling like a Japanese doll.

I garlanded him and then he garlanded me. I looked in his eyes. His eyes were flashing with some victorious smile. I could not hide my smile on seeing his face. I smiled back.

I saw Babu sitting at the main ritual place, along with the priests. He sat there to perform my “Kanyadan”. Since morning I have not seen him near me. I looked at him before sitting opposite to Himadri, in front of the brass “kalash”. He silently wiped the corner of his eyes as he handed my right hand on Himadri’s left.

The priests were reading the shlokas and hymns of marriage. Everything sounded very mechanical to my ears.

The rituals went on. Maithili tied the loose end of my red Benarasi saree with the white Dhuti of Himadri.

Then the decisive moment arrived. I had to take the seven steps along with Himadri. I closed my eyes before getting up from my seat. Looked at ChotoMa and Maithili. They both smiled at me and gently nodded their head. With each step, I felt my past was burning in that flame.

After it was complete, Himadri dipped his ring in the small round container of red vermillion and smeared that on my centre part of hairdo.

The ring first touched my forehead and was rubbed till few inches upward. Forehead, the place he kissed was then graced with some other persons red vermillion. I never dreamt of that. Not a single speck of red vermillion fell on my nose. It was a lovely superstition that if the specks of red vermillion powder touches the nose tip of the bride, then the groom loves her very much.

Everyone in the crowd asked me to tilt my head so that few specks at least could drop on my nose tip. I laughed at them and gently bent my head forward, even after that, not a single speck dropped on my nose tip.

Maithili shouted to all persons over there---“Enough. She need not to shake her head like a cow.” Every person present there, thought that she was concerned about my tiredness of the long ritual. Only I knew, she was trying her level best to guard me from any type of pain. But she was also bounded by fate and who would hear her cry?

A solitary drop of aqua brewed in corner of my left eye. I stealthy wiped that drop. That drop of aqua was a mixture of pain and fear, angst and anonymity, vacuum and dark.

I asked my heart---“Am I happy? I don’t know. I am doing my duty to repay my debts of my foster parents.”

I bolted every bit of my dark past inside a box and threw it into the abyss of the ocean.

“Paree” was burning in the flames in front of me. “Mita” just left my side. It was “Suchi” who sat there in front of the sacrament flames with blank expressionless eyes and fake glimmer on the face.

Chapter 3: Cardinal Waves

A new chapter of my life in a absolute unknown horizon was opened. I had to keep my pace according to my surroundings.

I told to myself on the first day “Love huh! Hard to find in this cruel world where everything is materialistic.” One thought that I was unable to come into terms that ChotoMa and Babu had bought my security by presenting a car in dowry.

Himadri was caring as all new husbands. I stayed very cold and calm in the first week after reception. He probably sensed that I was living in some fear and pain. He understood that due to some reason I was unable to open up. He did not delved into my privates till we were alone. He wanted all those fantasies to brew with understanding and love. My vacuum soul had some respite due to his soft rays of compassion.

On the first week of January, we went for our honeymoon.

ChotoMa and Babu came to airport to see-off.

On the plane Himadri asked me---“This is your first time on the plane?”

---“No, I have been to Delhi earlier.”

---“Ok. I thought this is first time. As you are looking very nervous.”

I smiled on myself “I was nervous due to the type of fantasies you are going to experiment.” My face became red and I looked the other way.

He rubbed his nose on my nape and whispered---“Your fragrance is making me insane, Suchi.”

Softly I placed my palm on his cheek and pushed away his face. I whispered---“Hey! This is plane. Don’t do like that here. Everyone is looking at us.”

He took my right palm and placed it on his cheek. I closed my eyes as my soft fingers got pressed on his raw cheek. He straightened up and whispered---“I am not cuddling any other’s wife? Am I?”

He smelled my fingers and I felt his warm breath on my fingers. All the pores of my left arm unfurled its petals.

I cooed out---“Himadri, please.”

“Ok honey.” He winked at me “The beach will catch fire….”

I could not hide my shy smile so I looked out of the window.

The resort was near to the airport, beside the famous Corbyns Cove beach. A cottage was booked for us.

We reached our resort by noon. The sunshine was very sweet. The weather was amorous, neither warm nor chilled. The winds were blowing from the sea. All the cottages were sea facing and it was east side.

I went near the huge glass window and pushed open the panes. I was wearing a blue chiffon saree and my long tress suddenly flew due to gush of wind that came from the sea. The waves were crushing on the seashore on the sparkling yellow sands. The white froths crushed on the shore and the swoosh sound made me weak. The amorous wind tried to unlock few moments but I kept myself contained and leaned over the window to devour the beauty of the sea and sand.

The beach was of “U” shape and on the northern corner a small island could be seen. Huge trees were all over the sides of the beach.

Suddenly I felt warm breath on my shoulder. I closed my eyes as Himadri placed his arms around my bare tummy and held me in his tight embrace. He gently nibbled the back of my head with his nose and took a deep breath. I held his hands tightly as I felt his nose tip on the back of my head. I tilted my head back as his nose grazed over my nape down to my bare shoulder.

Goosebumps awakened all over my neck. My face became warm by the friction of his strong fingers grazing and kneading my tummy. His teeth came near the broach on my blouse and he nibbled the round of my shoulder. His wanton bites made me jelly.

With a sudden thrust he turned me towards him and his lips crushed on mine. I placed my palms on his chest and felt that his chest was bare. His heartbeats thumped on my soft palm. His roughness made the depressed sullen fairy to unfurl unwillingly.

He scooped me and threw me roughly on the bed and came on me. Even before I could gather myself up, my dress was lying on the wooden floor. The moment he rushed in my domain, I bit my lower lips and closed my eyes. A tiny drop of liquid pearl drenched my eyelash.

A sweet and torrid way to love and that was Himadri. A strong rough coarse mountain under the soft white snow.

Himadri brought out a sky blue knee length sheer sleeveless frock. The moment I saw that sheer negligee on his hand, my face became red and turned my face away to hide my blush.

He came near me and asked---“I bought this for you. Don’t you like it?”

I nodded my head---“Yes it is beautiful.” I took that from his hand and went inside the bathroom. There was a lustful grin on his face as he observed my shyness smeared all over my face.

I came out after taking my bath in that dress that he presented. The cool breeze coming from the window drenched me in sweat of some unknown turbulence. Himadri changed himself to a Bermuda shorts and a sleeveless vest.

He came near me and took my face between his palms. He whispered in my ears---“You are looking gorgeous, Suchi.”

I looked pale as I heard him say those words. My eyes suddenly turned hazy.

He patted gently on my back and asked me “What happened Suchi? I am here.”

I wiped my tears and looked at him. I exhaled a deep gush out of my chest and smiled---“Nothing Himadri. I was just ….”

I could not even finish my sentence, he cut short that sentence with a deep kiss on my lips.

He broke his kiss after a long time. My whole figure was shaking as his fingers traced every contours of my curvaceous figure. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He took my hand and asked me---“Lets us walk on the beach.”

I was taken aback by his suggestion. I screamed out---“WHAT? You want me to go out like this? No Himadri.”

He pleaded and pulled me by my hand---“Come On Suchi. We came here for our honeymoon.”

I got annoyed---“But that does not mean that I will go out in this sheer negligee, Himadri.”

He almost pulled me out on the balcony---“You beauty is simply irresistible. See out on the beach, who is there wearing full dress?”

I clenched my right fist. I was about to break in tears---“You know my nature Himadri.”

He clenched his jaws and gave a pleading look at my face. He let my hand go and walked silently in the room. After sometime he came out with a sarong and asked me to wrap around my waist.

“Now is that ok for you?” He smiled at me.

I nodded my head and smiled---“You won’t buzz from your nature.”

He made a naughty face and gestured me to walk along with him. Unwillingly at first, I stepped out. The cool breeze caressed my bare arms and my warm face. He put his left arm around my waist and pulled me towards him. The fine grains of sand felt awesome under my bare feet. At times the waves crushed near my feet. That was the first time I was on a sea beach. I looked around those tall coconut and palm trees.

We walked till the end of the beach. The sun went down on my left. The sky was painted with golden yellow and orange stokes of pastel paint. The breeze suddenly shook me. Himadri felt my turbulence and looked at me.

---“What happened?”

“Nothing….” I looked down and answered. The humid breeze brought some humid memoirs in my soul. I bit my lips hard to douse the memoirs.

He asked me to sit down on the beach and I obeyed him.

He looked at my cold face and asked---“You are very timid and shy in nature. Were you like this from the beginning?”

I nodded my head “Yes”

Only my heart knew “No, I was a vibrant girl. I was a puerile fairy of my unicorn. Oh! No what I was thinking. This is not done. I should not do this.”

He lied down on the beach on his back. I sat cowered with my knees folded and arms resting across my knees. My chin rested on my knees and I looked towards the infinite sea. The horizon looked very calm.

He spoke after a long time---“I am bit rough in nature. Is not it Suchi?”

I looked at his face trying to fathom as what does he want to say.

He turned towards me and said---“Most of the time I stay along with the workers and low class people. To tame them, they only understand the cane. They understand slang language. I had to use foul language always.”

He touched my bare right arm and traced my soft skin till my shoulder. It send a sweet tingle down my spine.

---“You know, I am very arrogant. I am very stern. I love myself a lot. I can’t take no for any answer. If any one denies me, then blood gushes in my brain.”

I exhaled a deep breath out of my chest and said---“I will try my best not to make you angry.”

He kissed the round of my right shoulder and whispered---“I know you will.”

“Women are like water, they take the shape of the tumbler in which it is poured.” I didn’t said those words to him, instead---“Himadri, change is evitable in this world. The only constant thing in this world is change.”

I smiled at him and said---“You are engineer and I am a physics student, so we both know about Quantum mechanics.”

He laughed out and patted my cheeks---“My darling. Can you think of something else other than physics?”

I constricted my nose---“If I say no, then?”

He suddenly pinned me down on the sand and came on me out in the open---“Then you know….”

I patted his cheek and whispered---“Let me go. Not in the open.”

He kissed me sweetly and stood up.

We walked towards the cottage, arms in arms. I pointed to the solitary island on the north side of the beach---“Will we visit that island?”

He looked back over his shoulder to the island and said---“If time permits.”

He then grinned at me and danced his brows. I understood the meaning and turned my face away to hide my coy face.

After sometime I asked him---“Himadri, you promised me that you will allow me to do a job.”

He stopped and looked at me---“Why do you want a job? There is no need of that.”

I turned my face away from him---“You promised me Himadri.”

“Suchi, my dad is very strict person. He won’t allow his daughter-in-law to go out and work.” he spoke calmly.

I looked over my shoulder so as to fathom as who was talking, was it Himadri or my father-in-law.

From his writhing pleading eyes, I understood that it was my father-in-law who was speaking.

I shook my head in dismay and bit my lower lips “My dream, my ambition is drowning beneath the horizon of the Bay-of-Bengal.”

I folded my arms across my chest and walked towards the cottage, leaving Himadri behind. He stood perplexed on the beach, alone and helpless. The evening was dark. I felt “How alone we are in this world.”

Before the dinner, he asked me---“What do you like for dinner? Seafood is ok for you?”

I gave a soft smile at him said---“I haven’t tasted sea-food. I am from village, you know that very well. I would like to have plain Indian food preferably Bengali ones are better.”

He didn’t wait for my sentence to finish, he picked up the phone and ordered for crab.

We sat on the balcony looking towards the sea.

He asked me---“I am really at my wits end that how can a beautiful lady be so calm and quiet.”

I smiled at him---“Why? What type of girl you liked?”

He joked---“I wanted a jovial lady in my life. Your eyes and your smile captured me.”

I laughed at him and said---“See I am laughing, now satisfied.”

He shook his head---“You are too much, Suchi.”

Again there was a silence between us.

“Suchi” he spoke up “I have a question?”

---“What?”

He took a deep breath---“Your ChotoMa has a son. He was not present at our wedding. Where is he?”

I closed my eyes and an impetuous chill ran through my frame.

I answered very calmly---“I don’t know.”

He was surprised by my answer---“You don’t know? How can that be? I asked your ChotoMa about Abhimanyu. They also didn’t give proper answer. Is he alright? I mean what happened to him?”

My chest trembled and a huge torrential wave brewed inside my heart. I clenched my jaws. In that low light probably he didn’t noticed my facial tension.

Somehow I restrained myself from breakdown and answered---“Last information I had, he was in New Delhi. I don’t know anything more than that.”

---“You two must be very close. What type of person he would be that he didn’t attend our wedding? I asked your younger sister-in-law, Maithili also. She also averted my query.”

Lighting flashed in my head “We are not very close. We are two bodies one soul. My heart used to pump in his chest and his still pumps in mine. You won’t understand. I don’t know where he is. My fate, his fate and the cruel world brought me on your lap.”

Instead I queried him---“Why are you asking me these? You could have asked ChotoMa.”

Just then there was a knock on the door.

He got up and I felt relieved. A huge boulder just got off my chest. I was on the verge of break down and the room service was my savior. I wiped my eyes and gathered myself up from the balcony. The room service served the dinner.

I looked at the red Australian crab on the white china plate. As it was looking at me.

I smiled at Himadri and asked him---“How to break this and eat?”

He laughed at me and said---“Wait. There are pliers and stick.”

I made an annoying face by twitching my lips---“Eeeeeee….. we have to poke inside that crab?”

He laughed at me---“Yes dear.”

He broke the shell and the smell of the crab flesh made me dizzy. I felt a lump pushing in my throat.

He looked at me and asked---“What happened?”

I somehow controlled myself so as not to bother him---“Nothing. I am ok.”

He mixed some red wine and scooped with spoon and placed near my lips. He signed me to take that.

The odour of the crab and mixed with wine made me feel dizzy. I felt strange sensation in my head. In spite of all those, I took the food from the spoon. As it went in my throat, my whole body shook.

I somehow finished the dinner. He asked me all the time as how was the food. I nodded my head to express that it was good. Last of all I could not control my uneasiness and went inside the restroom and vomited. Himadri got tensed as he found me vomiting. He rushed to the restroom and poured water on my face and head.

His voice was tensed---“Are you Ok? You could have told me that you don’t like crabs. I would not have ordered then.”

I looked at him and said---“You already placed the order before I finished my sentence.”

“Sorry Suchi.” He hugged me from behind and rubbed his nose on my nape.

My head was spinning, I was too weak and I was about to fall down. His strong arms around me deterred me from falling down. He scooped me in his arms and lifted me to the bed. He laid me down on the bed and covered me with the bed-cover.

He sat beside me and asked politely---“Feeling ok?”

I nodded my head “Yes.”

I closed my eyes and tried to take rest.

After sometime I opened my eyes and found him sitting outside the cottage on the balcony with a bottle of liquor. I felt itching sensation on my skin. In the low light of the night lamp, I looked at my arms and chest. Rashes were all over my arms and chest.

I slept alone on the huge bed.

First night of my honeymoon. I was alone with my void soul on the bed and my husband was in the balcony with his bottle.

I was down with fever for next two days and we could not go out of the resort. I saw the tension in his eyes. He was very much concerned about me. He was feeling depressed and was continuously blaming himself for my ill-health. However, I felt that I ruined our honeymoon.

I asked him---“Himadri, you are angry upon me due to my fever?”

He looked at my face and said---“No, I am not angry upon you. I am disappointed with myself.”

I came near him and touched his hand---“Don’t feel sad, Himadri. Out journey has just started. Several crest and troughs are waiting in front of us.”

He looked painfully at my face---“Sometimes, it is very hard to understand you, Suchi. Your bewitching beauty has several hidden tales. Most of the time, your eyes are expressionless and that look haunts me.”

I laughed at him and joked---“My expressionless eyes? Didn’t that captured you, Himadri?”

He scooped me up from the bed and carried me to the balcony. I sat on his lap, hugging his neck with my arms. He held me tightly around my waist. I forgot all the pains, my heart bore.

I looked out to the infinite horizon of the emerald green and blue coloured sea. The waves and the white froth crushing on the yellow ochre sandy beach.

His fingers were kneading my soft tummy gently over my gown. His touches gave a tingling sensation on my tummy. He rubbed his head and face on my cushy bosoms. I was not wearing any innerwear, so the friction heated my bosoms up and I cooed softly---“Himadri…..”

He looked at my squint eyes and asked me---“What?”

I moaned---“Not here, Himadri.”

He hugged me tightly and pressed his head on my cleavage. He was still for quite some time, he did not moved a muscle.

He looked up to me and said---“Do you believe that life is a cycle?”

I gave a queer look at him and asked---“What does this mean?”

---“I mean to say that, do you believe that past catches up in one’s life?”

“I have a bitter past with broken heart and bleeding soul. I don’t know what happened to him. I don’t know why he did this to me. I don’t know even that who I am.” My question was “Has he come to know about my past? What will be his reaction if he comes to know about my bleeding soul?” I could not make things out from the look on his face.

I asked---“Why are you telling this?”

He looked at the horizon of the sea and said in a low voice---“I had an old flame during my college years. She cited the reason of caste and creed and our relation snapped. I persuaded her a lot, that cast and creed won’t hamper our relation. But, she was not willing to come in terms.”

My soul writhed and I cursed myself. I smiled to myself “What a pair of broken hearts the heaven has made. Should I divulge my soul to him or not?” However, some unknown magnetic force restrained me from divulging my extinct flames. The only thing I could think that time that “He has kept the flame burning inside his soul. My flames doused with the pyre of my mother and my sacrament.”

I ruffled his hairs with my soft fingers and said to him---“I will make that up, Himadri.”

He looked at me, his lips touched mine. He cooed out---“Promise, Suchi.”

His face turned hazy, due to my brewing eyes.

I took his face between my palms---“Promise.”

“Yes, I made that promise. It was half-heartedly. Why it was halfheartedly? I don’t know the reason.”

Next day morning, it was fourth day of our trip. I felt better. I was still in the bed. My sleep was broken by a soft jingle. I looked with my sleepy eyes. I found Himadri’s smiling face in front of me. He was sounding the cup of tea with the spoon and cooed in my ears---“Come on sleepy damsel. Time to get up.”

I pulled myself up and looked at my chest. The upper part of my night-dress was much below as where it should be. I pulled the bed-sheet till my chest and looked at him. He touched my forehead and felt my temperature.

---“No fever. So how are you feeling?”

I stretched my arms overhead. His lewd gaze on my bosom made me writhe in bed. With my squint eyes I scolded him softly---“Don’t look at your sleeping beauty, like that.”

He stooped forward and whispered---“Am I looking to some other’s wife darling?”

I pushed his face by his forehead---“I have to freshen myself up.”

“Hmmmm…. Surely. So where do you want to go today?” He asked me.

I glanced over my shoulder as I entered the restroom---“How come I know? You have brought me here.”

---“Cellular jail is the main attraction on Port Blair. After breakfast we are going there.”

I dressed up in a beautiful chiffon pink sari and sleeveless blouse as to comply his request. My bun was resting on my nape. He asked me to put some flowers in my bun, which I obeyed. I finished my gracing before the dressing table. He looked at me in the reflection and came behind me. Put his arms around my waist and pressed his lips on my shoulder.

---“Do we have to go to Cellular jail, darling?”

I tightened his embrace around me. I felt somewhat secured. I cooed in his ears---“We have the whole night at our disposal Himadri.”

He loosened his grip and said---“Ok.”

We entered the premises of the famous “Cellular jail” of Port Blair. Without visiting this place, the Andaman trip would have been incomplete, I felt. There were only three blocks each of three stories of cells present. The guide explained us that, all other blocks were destroyed due to natural calamities. During the British rule, our Indian freedom fighters were locked up in these cells. Those cells were small and dingy with only a small window at the top. The guide took us to the cell where Savarkar was jailed. The gate was three fold.

I looked at Himadri and asked---“How he fled from this cell?”

Himadri looked at me and joked---“Push me by the cliff, I will goto him and ask.”

I started to beat him---“Don’t ever joke at me like that.”

We observed that there were few inmates also present. I asked the guide as why there were inmates in the jail, if it was closed one.

He explained that, those were castaway fishermen from Burma.

The guide then showed us the museum where the whips and other torture tools were in displayed. There was a clay statue of a man chained on a nailed wooden block. I looked at his painful face and then looked at Himadri.

He looked at me and understood that I was unable to stand those sightings. He hugged me closely we came out.

By the evening we were in our cottage. I changed myself to a simple salwar and walked alone on the sandy beach. I looked over my shoulder, Himadri was reclining in the chair on the balcony sipping his favourite drink.

I came back after an hour.

He said to me---“Your ChotoMa called.”

I shrugged my shoulder---“What’s new.” And I walked inside the cottage.

---“Not that. She was concerned about your health and she asked us to return.”

I was astonished and angry---“WHAT? She has asked us to return?”

---“Yes. What is your opinion, Suchi?”

I looked at his face and came near him---“What do you want to do?”

He handed me the phone and asked me to call ChotoMa.

I asked him again as what he wanted. He answered---“I don’t want to offend your ChotoMa. Since you are not pulling well so I think it will be better that we return tomorrow.”

I called up ChotoMa---“How are you and Babu?”

---“We are fine. But I heard that you had fever?”

---“Yeah, just like that. All new places and sea water.”

She sounded cold---“ShonaMa, don’t lie at least. Himadri told me that it was due to the crab. You had rashes. I am concerned about you. Come back.”

I shook my head---“ChotoMa, you are too much concerned.”

---“Yes. A little bit. Give the phone to Himadri.”

I handed him the phone. They talked for some time and then asked me to pack the bags.

Last night in the cottage of our honeymoon. Himadri tossed me over and over again on the ridge of soft love and passionate embrace as we melted ourselves. I stitched my torn soul to mend it with what was at my disposal. I apprehended that I had to contended myself with the snowflakes that I had.

I rested my head on his broad chest and he was gently scratching my scalp.

He spoke in a low voice---“Suchi...”

I whispered---“Yes”

---“I have another request to make.”

---“Hmmmm…”

---“I don’t want to start a family early.”

I pulled up and rested on my elbow and looked at his face---“Why?”

---“We have married just now. I don’t want to start a family so early, Suchi.”

I asked him---“What if your parents coaxes us to start?”

---“I don’t have the answer but you have to cite some reason.”

I closed my eyes and lay down on the pillow---“I don’t know Himadri. I am too feeble to stand against anyone. If you can manage then make your parents apprehend if they coax for grandchild. Anything that will come in future I will not turn my face away from that.”

Just then the mobile rang. It was near Himadri so he answered.

---“No we haven’t slept yet. How come you are awake at this time?”

I turned towards him and asked as who has called. It was midnight. He handed me the phone, it was Maithili.

She asked me---“How are you doing, Dear?”

At first I was skeptical as I didn’t have the correct answer as how I was.

I looked at his face as he was looking at me and answered---“I am doing fine.”

I heard her giggle on the other end. I wrapped the gown around my torso and walked to the balcony.

---“Why have you called at this time?”

She answered---“Just like that, Paree. I only wanted to know as how you are doing.”

I pressed the phone with all my strength to my ear and stammered out---“I….. Am…… Doing …… Fine…. Churni…… Good Night………”

Return flight back to Kolkata. I was very quiet all along the journey. The unnatural silence was pinching hard on both of us. He probably understood something. I looked out the window. The blue sky and blue ocean beneath. One could not demarcate as where one has ended and the other started. Himadri touched my shoulder to bring me back.

He asked me---“Something wrong? Why are you so calm and quiet?”

I smiled at him as I felt a pain in my soul. The pain was, as if I was again being caged from one ivory chamber to another---“Nothing…”

---“I know what you are thinking.”

I constricted my brows and asked him---“What?”

He let out a deep breath---“Don’t worry about the job. I have already spoken to the Director of a school. They were searching for a Physics teacher. Indian School Of Learning. The school is situated in the ISM campus.”

I could not control my feelings, my eyes brewed and my lips quivered. I gave a grateful look at him. He took my face between his palms and with is thumbs, wiped the rolling tears from my cheeks.

He whispered---“I will persuade mom and dad.”

I felt like hugging him with all my strength but I restrained as we were in an airplane.

ChotoMa was there at the airport to greet us. I was surprised to see Niladri to be present to greet us. I ran towards ChotoMa and hugged her tightly. She kissed my head. I smiled at Niladri and exchanged courtesy pleasantries.

Himadri asked Niladri as how come he was there? He answered that my ChotoMa informed my in-laws about my ill-health so my father-in-law send him to take us back.

We all were in the drawing room after dinner. ChotoMa was asking about our trip. Himadri looked at the painting of “Death of Socrates” that Abhimanyu painted and that graced the wall of the drawing room. I looked at the painting and devoured the creativity for some time.

Himadri asked ChotoMa---“Abhimanyu did not attend our wedding?”

ChotoMa looked at me. I feigned that I had not heard as what they said. My gaze was still then locked on the painting.

ChotoMa answered---“He came two days ago. He left today morning citing some urgent work.”

Her answer made my ears burn as if someone has poured hot oil on it. I clenched my jaws and gave a fiery look at ChotoMa. My heart thumped loudly inside my chest as if it would burst out any moment. I closed my eyes while those lies poured in my ears.

She nodded her head and said---“Yes he came.”

Himadri looked at me and then at ChotoMa---“What type of person he is? He left without meeting us?”

---“He was asking about you. I told him that you have gone for your honeymoon. He was happy.”

He asked---“Suchi and Abhimanyu must be very close. Was his job that much important than her?”

ChotoMa looked at me and then answered to his query---“They were not so much close. He actually left home before she came here.”

Himadri nodded his head. What he understood I did not know---“But, he must have come in the last two years, right?”

I hissed out at ChotoMa---“Stop this. I am tired.” I looked at Himadri and asked him whether he want to rest or not.

I knew by my heart and soul that ChotoMa was telling lie, but I did not questioned her. I stood up and said that I wanted to rest.

I walked inside the bathroom and looked my face in the mirror. It was red. My nose tips flared and a painful gurgle brewed inside my chest. “Why I have to hear his name time and again. I want to forget him.” I splashed water on my face, but that was not enough to drench my stringent pain in my soul. I clenched my fist and thumped on my bosom, but the fire was not doused yet. I looked up again and straightened up myself. I said to myself “Enough Suchi. Stop thinking about him. You are now Mrs. Karmakar. Forget what you had and embrace what you have. He is your past and your future is with you. Love and live what you have got.”

I walked in my room. I looked at the bookshelf and my bed. Everything was graced for our arrival to welcome Mr. Himadri Karmakar and Mrs. Suchismita Karmakar.