Non-Erotic Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed}

One day, during lunch break, we were walking towards Medical College, myself, Teesta and Delisha. We were munching peanuts. Debobroto came running towards us and tapped Teesta on her

shoulder. I looked over my shoulder and asked him---“What happened?”

He asked Teesta---“Can I come with you?”

She gave a naughty look at him---“Only if you pay for the Friday first-show at Metro.”

He slapped playfully on the back of her head and said to her---“Why what happened to Tathagato?”

I asked Delisha---“Who is Tathagato?”

Delisha shrugged her shoulder and shook her head “How do I know.”

Debobroto said to me---“Teesta had several boyfriends and Tathagato is one of them. Am I right?”

Teesta started slapping playfully on Debobroto’s arms in the middle of the road---“You swine. Do you have to tell everything?”

He laughed at her---“Ok, ok. So he is past now. Who are you seeing currently?”

I asked Debobroto---“How many boyfriends do Teesta have?”

He laughed at me on hearing my question---“Hey Mita, if I start counting I will finish only in the morning.”

Teesta screamed at him---“If you don’t stop now then I will kill you.”

Debobroto winked at her---“Give a kiss and I will surely die.”

“So Teesta had several boyfriends” I asked her.

“Come on you don’t start now, Mita” Teesta pleaded at me.

“Mita” I then got a new name from my colleagues and friends. The name “Paree” was lost after he went away. Only ChotoMa and Babu used to call me by that name.

That day I was very much upset, due to Babu’s denial to buy me cell-phone. I sat in the class room with a gloomy face. Teesta came near me after the lunch break and asked me “What happened to

you?”

I shook my head “Nothing, I am fine.”

She looked into my eyes and said---“Don’t try to hide from me. Tell me what happened.”

I gave a painful smile and said to her again---“I am fine. Can we goto Coffee House?”

She pulled me out of the class room and looked at my face---“Tell me what has happened?”

How could I tell her what was going inside my heart? I could not.

I had to lie---“I am just feeling sad. I have not gone to my house in village for a long time that’s why.”

She didn’t know then, that ChotoMa and Babu was only my guardian. She didn’t know the truth. She was surprised to hear that---“What, your father and mother doesn’t live in DumDum?”

---“No. My native place is far away from Kolkata, in a village.”

She took me to the coffee-house and we sat at one corner. I dreaded to sit on the second floor. I looked up the ceiling; the huge fans were rotating painfully. Last time I came here, he was with me and

we sat on the corner table on the second floor.

The walls were calling me as if asking me “Why I was alone this time?”

We sat on the first-floor; she ordered fried chicken and cold coffee.

---“You have not told me anything about yourself. Tell me everything. I just want to hear who is actually Suchismita? What lies behind this beautiful smile?”

I told her that---“Mainly I was upset because Babu didn’t brought me cell-phone.”

She gave a queer look at me and said---“That can’t be the only reason.”

I told her most of the tale, only part I omitted was my relation with him. I avoided that beautiful agonizing part. Why to bring pain in an already painful mind by remembering those colourful days? Let

those days remain in a corner of my heart, forever. All those reminiscences were like beautiful flowers. I didn’t want to share my memoirs with anyone.

We bunked rest of the periods.

She sat silently in-front of me and said to me---“Your ChotoMa and Babu are really very good person.”

I smiled faintly at her---“Yes they are.” Only I knew that I was a pet scarlet princess locked in an ivory cage.

It was one Tuesday, due to demise of a teacher there was a holiday in college. I had to do nothing. I, Teesta and Delisha were loitering on the road, leisurely walking towards Hedua.

Delisha said that she would like to treat us.

I asked her the reason. She smiled coyly at us and said---“Yesterday, I and Danish got engaged.”

Teesta laughed at her and said---“Another bird fell in trap. Come on where are we going?”

I said---“Peter Cat. Cheloo Kabab. Nothing less than that.”

On hearing me, Delisha and Teesta gave a surprising look at me.

Both of them asked---“How do you know about Peter Cat? You are a real mischievous girl. I am sure you didn’t go there alone. Who was with you?”

I smiled faintly at them and said---“Naah baba, I went there with a good friend of mine and her boyfriend.”

The look that they gave at me clearly told me that they didn’t believed a single word of mine.

I laughed at their baffled face---“Aree, I am telling the truth. No one was ever for me. Not in my college days. Yaar.”

Yes that was actually a truth; no one ever courted me during my college days. Whatever happened happened afterwards in past few months.

“Ok, ok.” She looked at Delisha and smiled mischievously at her and asked---“Tell me how is Danish on bed?”

Delisha was rosy white complexioned girl. On hearing Teesta’s naughty query her face turned red.

“Dhaat.” And slapped playfully on her face “Am not like you at least, who has to taste every one before giving a final call.”

I looked at Teesta and Delisha.

Delisha asked again---“Are we going to Peter Cat?”

Teesta answered---“No, after a long time I have found few good friends. Let’s go to my house. Only my sister-in-law would be present. Mom and dad have gone out and my brother is in his office.

Let’s us enjoy.”

We three girls boarded a taxi from College Street and were on our way to Teesta’s house.

Teesta always loved to wear western outfits. Jeans and t-shirt were her favourite dresses. At times she used to come in skirts also. Those skirts were of knee length and she enjoyed the lewd look of

the males, grazing on her waxed calves as she walked.

Delisha was just opposite, always in salwar. Only on the first day she wore the hijab. After that day she never wore her hijab. But her salwars were beautiful.

After that trip, I never wore my jeans. One day I wrapped my jeans and the turquoise Lehenga in a polythene bag and threw all those in a garbage dump outside the Medical College. What’s the use of

wearing such clothes if the person I loved most can’t behold me?

All the way Teesta teased Delisha and asked her about Danish. They two were fighting like two kittens. As I was in the middle, most of their slaps landed on my arms, chest and bosoms.

I screamed out at them---“You two stop fighting or I will knock your heads.”

Delisha smiled at me and joked---“Mita madam also becomes angry. By the way, how old are you?”

I told them that I turned twenty-six and my birthday just passed last month. They were baffled as I was older than them.

Teesta---“Don’t tell me. We are just mere child.”

Delisha joked at me---“If she would have married at right time, then she would have a daughter of your age.”

“Mita Mata.” Teesta joined her hands in front of me.

I laughed at their jokes and pranks.

Teesta’s house was of three stories. The ground floor was on rent. Her brother and sister-in-law lived on the first floor and she stayed with her parents on the second floor.

A lady in her mid twenties opened the door for us. Teesta hugged her and kissed her cheek.

“This is my sweet sister-in-law, BonaniDi.” She introduced us with that lady. “And she is Suchismita and that is Delisha.”

We entered her room in second floor. The first thing that I found was a huge poster of Arnold Schwarzenegger on the wall just above her reading table. The person stood on a cliff, muscles bulging out

from every possible anatomy; only black underwear covering his loin.

Delisha smiled at her---“He comes to you during night?”

She hissed at her on hearing her question---“Ohhhhhh….. If he could come out of this poster, I would give everything to him.”

She looked at me and asked---“Why are you standing like that? Don’t you feel jelly down there?”

And she slapped on my plump bottoms.

I threw my bag on her bed and jumped on the bed.

I smiled naughtily at her---“Why to make love with a poster?”

Delisha asked---“Hmmmm….. Means Mita is not as what she looks.”

I yelled at them---“Come on, don’t you have any other topics to discuss.”

Teesta jumped on the bed over my back as I was lying on my tummy. She put her arms beneath my armpits and nudged the side of my bosoms.

---“These jugs are not made in a day baby.”

As her fingers caressed my soft bosoms I felt a tingling chill ran down my spine. My face turned red and I turned over on my back. She fell on the bed and laughed at me on seeing my red face.

She continued pointing at Delisha---“See what Danish has done to her.”

Delisha pulled Teesta’s shirt. Her shirt ripped open revealing her supple firm bosoms, jostling inside her black innerwear.

She screamed out---“Naughty girl. Wanna have fun?”

She shook her bosoms, those soft mounds of flesh swayed over her chest like two melons.

Delisha asked her---“How many pairs of hand are there behind those soft mounds baby?”

Teesta looked at the ceiling and rubbed her soft bosoms with her right palm.

---“Oooooooo….. Till now ….. Four pairs.”

I exclaimed on hearing her---“My Gosh! How you handle those.”

I was feeling a tingling sensation all over me, on hearing those words and all those playful touch we were enjoying among ourselves.

Teesta looked into my eyes---“My baby is feeling something gurgling inside her. Right baby?”

“Noooooo…..” I screamed out, hiding my expression behind a naughty smile.

“Ok, ok” Teesta started “One was there during my class ten. We were very childish then so nothing much happened except few hugs and kisses. Oh! God I have even forgot his name. Then came

Bikramjit during my class twelve. The first touch was given by him. Oooooooo….. I enjoyed the way he touched and kissed me all over.”

Delisha was not much behind, expressing her feelings. She touched the jeans clad crotch of Teesta and asked her---“So this was tasted by him.”

Teesta enjoyed the fingers on her crotch---“Naaaaa….. Dear. Now it is you who is touching. He did not have the courage to go down my belt.”

My head was spinning; all these frolicking city-girls were making me mad.

Delisha looked into my flashing eyes and smiled---“Mita is having something. Right Mita?”

I screamed and laughed at them---“You two are just unbearable. Teesta, why don’t you continue with your story?”

She laughed at me and said---“Only if you promise me that you are going to tell me your story.”

I shook my head---“No, I don’t have any.”

Delisha exhaled a deep breath out of her heaving chest---“This girl is righteous. She has treasured her sanctity for the final person.”

I smiled in my heart “Did I keep my sanctity? I gave that to my precious already and I don’t regret for that.”

Teesta asked Delisha---“Why don’t you tell how is Danish?”

Delisha yelled at her---“Why, are you going to bed him also?”

She gave an evil grin---“I just want to compare, Baby.”

Delisha squeezed her lips in a small “o”---“Uhhhhh….. Don’t make me remember that day.”

I was curious (Oh! shit what was happening to me) and asked her---“What what?”

She moaned out on remembering the scene when her cherry was popped---“No fore-skin, bulbous tip, hot as cannon, rigid as granite. He just tore me apart as he invaded my cave. I felt as if that the

tip would come out of my head.”

Teesta was grinning at her continuously---“Yeah, that’s what I love in your males.”

Delisha was astonished to hear that---“What do you mean?”

She gave another devilish grin at us---“In my college, it was Aahil who popped my cherry.”

I could not stop grinning at her---“So only Buddhist and Christians are left or you have tasted them also?”

“No, no, Aahil was just a torrid affair. One day match.” Teesta grinned at me.

She asked both of us---“You two don’t wear jeans. Do you?”

We both shook our head saying that “We don’t wear.”

---“Ooops… then you can’t feel the sensation.”

I asked her---“What sensation?”

---“Come on. You two probably also wear your nether inner-wears always.”

“Yes” Delisha said to her and was looking at her aptly as what was she going to explain.

Teesta closed her eyes and pressed her fingers on the juncture of her limbs---“The stitch of jeans, when it rubs on yours …… it feels awesome. I always remain sweaty there, baby. Whenever I feel I

can sweat. That’s the beauty of jeans and its stitched fabric between my legs. The coarse fabric rub all over the place, poke in the fissure and I go jelly.”

Teesta suddenly held the collars of my shirt and gave a hot smooch on my lips. I was lying on my back and Teesta rested her bosoms on mine, our supple pairs of soft mounds jostled and pushed over

each other. I could feel my pebbles were hot as iron marbles and hers were poking hard on my soft flesh.

I went totally frenzy on her hot and wet playful actions. Delisha was smiling mischievously as Teesta pushed her tongue inside my mouth and sucked the air out of mine. I could not control myself and

grabbed the back of her head and pulled her more on my wanton lips.

For a fraction of second I thought as what was happening to me.

After sometime I pulled Teesta away from my face. We both were panting hard due to our mutual lustful play. Her gaze was pouring hot lava; a raunchy smile was smeared on her face and lips. I

looked at Delisha who was enjoying our actions.

She smiled at us and said---“I have to go a long way. You two bitch can carry on.”

I somehow sat on the bed and adjusted my shirt and skirt.

Teesta took my palms in her hand and pressed them gently---“Sorry Mita, I just got carried away.”

I winked at her and said---“Why sorry?” and then whispered in her ears “I enjoyed.”

She asked both of us to wait for some more time. But I was getting late as Babu would be waiting for my return.

Before we left Teesta’s place, she said to us pointing to her chest---“This hen has trapped a new cock.”

She walked with us till the bus stand.

It was few days before the Puja Vacation. Teesta and I were standing at the gate of college waiting for someone whom Teesta wanted to meet me.

I asked her as who was the person.

She winked at me---“That day I told you about my new boyfriend.”

I asked her “When have you told me?”

She shook her head---“Oh! Come on Mita. Just few days back, I asked you as what you were going to buy for your Puja? Now do you remember?”

I nodded “Oh! Yeah I remember.”

A thin built guy, probably of twenty-six years I assumed approached us and smiled at Teesta.

She almost ran towards him and holds his hand.

She pointed at me and said to him---“She is Suchismita, my friend.”

I joined my palms, to offer my regards. He laughed at me loudly---“Oh Come on. I am not old enough to be an uncle.”

I smiled at him. He was in a dark brown pant and a white shirt with blue pinstripes. He was handsome, bit taller than Teesta as she was an inch shorter than me. His shoulders were broad but due to

his thin physique the shirt was loose one. I felt that as Teesta was bit on voluptuous side, the pair was bit mismatched. But they were very amorous pair. Their eyes told me everything. I smiled faintly

at them as that pair reminded my old days.

Teesta looked at me and introduced him---“He is Tirthankar Sengupta. He is pursuing PhD from Jadavpur University also in the same major as yours.”

I pulled Teesta towards me and whispered in her ears---“This is not the guy that, Debobroto was talking that day. Is he?”

She gave an annoying look and signed me to keep silent “Don’t dare to speak a word.”

I understood everything and kept smiling at Tirthankar.

Teesta sweetly smiled at him and asked him---“Tirtha, have you brought your car today?”

I asked her---“He also have a car?”

She whispered “Yes. He is the only child and his father is very rich.”

Tirthankar grazed his gaze from my head to toe, more than he looked at his girlfriend. I felt very awkward due to the prying look in his eyes.

I told her---“I am not going to disturb you two then. I will go home”

Tirtha smiled at me---“Come on. After a long time, I am meeting a beautiful friend of Teesta. You are not the bone of contention.”

Teesta pinched his right arm---“Are you flirting with Mita? Don’t ever try to do that.”

“Some other day; Teesta. You know my Babu; he is waiting for the cup of tea before he goes to market.” I said to them.

I politely denied their invitation of going to The Scoop by the bank of Ganges. I felt that Tirthankar was having something inside his chest after he saw me. The look in his eyes didn’t felt right to me.

As a woman we can adjudge the gaze of person in what sense they were looking at us.

I looked at those amorous pairs as I was walked towards the bus-stand. Tirthankar waved his fingers at me, bid me good bye.

I was about to board the bus, just then out of nowhere I felt a tug on my bun. As usual I used to keep a renyolds pen in my bun. The person pulled the pen and my bun unfurled. I got very angry and

was about to bash that person. I looked over my shoulder only to find Debobroto was laughing at me. I could not get angry on seeing his smiling face and smiled back at him.

“Who was that along with Teesta?” he asked me.

I questioned him back---“Why, were you eyeing Teesta?”

He came near me and whispered in my ears---“I was eyeing on her from my graduation days. But that bitch was having an affair with a ***** boy.”

I asked him---“But that day you told name of another person. Who was he?”

---“Oh! Tathagato… Aahil just used her. Tathagato loved her.”

---“Where is he now?”

“She dumped him because at that time he could not afford her. After graduation he went away to States on scholarship. Probably, she regrets now for her decision.” He laughed again and shook his

head “That bitch will not stop till her itching is doused.”

That was my new friend Teesta Sarkar, just like a hilly river dancing and enjoying her life on every turn and twist, till brim.

Chapter 3: Annapurna Immersion
-----------------------------------

ShasankoDa applied for telephone at our native place. By then we had telephone in our house in village. I was able to talk with my mom every day.

He never called back or perhaps he called and ChotoMa and Babu didn’t give me the phone to talk to. One day I searched for Bannerjee Uncle’s phone number in the telephone diary but could not get that. I tried to contact Arundhuti, but I was unable to as she also didn’t contacted me. Why she didn’t contact? ChotoMa asked me thousands of queries about Arundhuti and him. I had to tell the truth as I loved him. Definitely he might have sensed the same thing. Surely he had sensed that and he didn’t want that any type of threat should touch me. So he might have cautioned Arundhuti not to contact me. Probably Arundhuti called and she was denied the pleasure of speaking to me. She was the only person to whom I could open my heart.

The day was two days after Mahalaya. On early morning, I was brushing my teeth when the phone rang. Babu used to get up early and goto market for buying fresh vegetables. He already returned and was doing some work near the telephone. ChotoMa was in kitchen, preparing the breakfast.

Babu picked up the phone and then he called ChotoMa. I heard faint sound of their conversation.

Babu---“Should we tell Paree?”

ChotoMa---“No not now. When she will reach home then let her know from them only. I don’t’ want my child to get sad just before Puja. If possible we will go out during Puja Vacation to some place away from Kolkata.”

I came out of the bathroom; my toothbrush was still in my mouth.

I asked---“What happened?”

ChotoMa shook her head---“Nothing.”

I spit out the froth from my mouth in the washbasin and asked again---“Who called?”

Babu came near me and looked at ChotoMa---“Ulupi, we should tell her.”

ChotoMa pulled me inside my room and asked me to open the top buttons of my night gown.

I was baffled by her action and asked her---“Why what happened?”

She ordered me to open my dressing-gown and show her my bosoms. As I opened my buttons, she pushed her palms under my bosoms and pressed them under my mounds, circled those and felt those soft fleshes. I was taken aback by her actions. She pinched my nipples and asked me whether I had any pain or discharge from those or not.

I shook my head and said---“No.”

“Ok” she nodded her head and kissed my forehead “Dress up, we are going to your village.”

A writhing pain started inside my heart as what could have happened. The first thought that came in my mind as what happened to my mom? I asked her again as what happened.

ChotoMa answered---“Your Mom is fine, ShonaMa. I was thinking that since the Puja Vacation is about to start so why don’t I take you to your village few days earlier?”

She asked Babu to call a car instead of going by bus.

ChotoMa and I boarded the car and we started for my native place.

She asked me questions about my college.

---“So everything is going well in your college?”

I nodded my head as to say that “Everything is fine” but inside my heart I had an anxiety as what could have happened and that also with whom? If my mom was ok then who could be?

“How many new friends you have now?” She asked. Was she trying to divert my attention away from my anxiety? Probably yes because she was my ChotoMa.

I smiled at her---“Oh! Come on ChotoMa, I am not a child anymore. All are friends.”

She shook her and touched my chin and nudged---“ShonaMa, in college life every things become materialistic. You should be aware of that. This is not your native place, ShonaMa. This is Kolkata; people here only know others if there is something in return and that is the truth.”

She patted on my cheeks and said---“I have to have a very hard time with my daughter.”

I looked at her as to understand as what she was saying. She was trying to explain the harsh reality of the society.

I told her that I had two best friends; one was Teesta Sarkar and other Delisha Khatun.

She smiled at me and said---“Why don’t you invite them someday at our house after Puja?”

“Sure” I smiled at her.

I hesitated a little and then asked her---“ChotoMa, I have to say something.”

She gave a queer look and asked---“What?”

---“I want a cell-phone, ChotoMa. Most of my friend in college has. I feel inferiority complex.”

She smiled at me and said---“Ok, next birthday you will have your cell-phone.”

“Oh! My god.” I thought, which meant that I had to wait for another long year, as my birthday just passed on twenty-sixth August.

I shook my head and gave a childish look---“NO, no, no. That’s too late ChotoMa.”

She nodded her head and said---“Ok, baba. Christmas gift. Now happy?”

I threw my arms around her neck and kissed her cheek---“My lovely ChotoMa.”

She was a teacher, she knew human psychology, she knew well how to divert attention and she made me happy then. Sometimes I felt that how could she banish her own son out of the house?

By noon we reached our village. I ran inside the house without even paying heed to few pairs of eyes as a car has stopped in front of our house.

Probably everyone was expecting us. I saw my mom was sitting in the dining room, Meghna Boudi and Maithili was also present. I knew that Shasanko Da and Subroto were in their work place and Eldest brother was in the field. As it was noon so I thought that my eldest sister-in-law Parvati Boudi might have gone to fields to give him his lunch.

Mom and Meghna smiled at me. Mom greeted me with a bear hug and kissed my forehead. I was panting and looked around so as to find that what could have happened and to whom.

I asked mom---“What happened and to whom?”

She said---“Paree you have come a long way. Take the lunch and then rest. Everything is fine here.” While she said those words, there was grieving pain painted on her face. But I was unable to fathom that pain.

ChotoMa came in and Mom took her inside. I looked at Meghna Boudi and asked her the same question. She also didn’t say anything to me, I then looked at Maithili. She avoided me somehow and went away to her room.

Out of now-where Dushtu came running at me and I bend down to take him on my lap. He threw around his arms around my neck and I kissed his chubby cheeks.

His first question put me in an agonizing situation---“Why are you alone? Where is Abhi Uncle?” After a long, long time someone called his name. I could not believe my ears that I was hearing his name. I felt an earthquake inside my chest, gurgling out a gruesome pain. I clasped him with all my strength and looked at him.

I smiled painfully at him with my glistening eyes---“He will come next time. He has gone far away for his job and he didn’t get leave for enjoying his Puja Vacation.”

I said those words to him, same time I consoled my painful harrowing heart that one day he will come for me.

What Dushtu told me after that, shook the earth beneath my feet.

---“Bodo Jethima (eldest aunt) is in hospital. She had pain on her chest.”

I looked at him. Already I had enough pain in my small bleeding heart, and then came his words as a huge turbulent wave on the coast of my chest. I just ran with him in my lap to the room where mom was talking with ChotoMa. Parvati Boudi showered her affection silently on me always. He also knew these and he told me.

I yelled at both of them---“What is he saying? MA. WHAT are you two hiding from me?”

I shouted at them, I forgot that Dushtu was on my lap---“Why ChotoMa checked my bosoms?”

Mom got up from the bed, they were sitting. She came near me and took Dushtu from my lap and asked him to go away from the room. I observed that ChotoMa wiped the corner of her eyes. I walked to her and kneeled down by the side of the bed by her feet.

She rubbed her soothing palm on my cheeks and said---“Your Bodo Boudi is fine. She just had some chest pain and she will come back by evening.”

I looked at her with my deluged eyes and said---“You are telling me the truth? Right?”

She nodded her head---“Yes my daughter. Why should I tell you lie?”

---“Why you checked my breasts, this morning?”

---“Nothing, I was examining.”

I didn’t believe her words that Bodo Boudi had only a chest pain---“No, there is something more and you all are hiding from me.”

Mom looked at ChotoMa and signed her not to tell me anything, I observed that gesture with the corner of my eyes and I was then wounded that there was something more.

I pleaded to ChotoMa with my grieving eyes---“Please tell me.”

ChotoMa took a deep breath---“Parvati has been diagnosed with breast cancer.”

I was dumbfounded as what more pain I had to bear. I threw my arms around ChotoMa’s waist and hid my sniveled face on her lap.

I shrieked out a long---“NOOOOOOOO……… this can’t happen with me.”

ChotoMa, being a teacher said to me while gently soothing my hair

---“ jatasya hi dhruvo mrtyur

dhruvam janma mrtasya ca

tasmad apariharye'rthe

na tvam socitum arhasi.”

(For one who has taken birth, death is certain and for one who has died, birth is certain. Therefore in an inevitable situation understanding should prevail)

I was furious on hearing her Sanskrit shloka and shouted at her---“Don’t tell me all those Sanskrit shloka’s; they are not going to bring back life. I am just a young girl with flesh and blood. Just tell me why everything that I love in my life is taken away?”

She took my face between her palms and wiped my tears---“ShonaMa, you are old enough to understand things in life.”

I shook my head---“I want to goto her, NOW.”

She somehow pacified me as to keep calm.

The evening was approaching, none of my brothers returned. My heart started to beat faster with each passing second, anticipating the arduous news to come in any second.

Just then the phone rang and I ran to pick up the phone. Subroto was on the other end; he didn’t expect me to pick up the phone.

Subroto---“What are you doing?”

---“Just tell me where are you and how is Bodo Boudi?”

Subroto---“Give the phone to Mom”

I shouted at him---“Am I no one of this house? Don’t I have any right to know?”

He took a long breadth; I bit my lower lips to control myself, prepared myself for the harrowing news.

Subroto---“She is sleeping now. Chemotherapy is going on. Now will you give the phone to Mom?”

I wiped my eyes and handed over the phone to my mom. I looked around, every person was standing there anxiously waiting for my answer as what has Subroto told me.

I told them---“Bodo Boudi is going under Chemotherapy. She is sleeping now.”

At that point of time I understood as why ChotoMa felt my breasts in the morning. I looked at ChotoMa and she understood from the look of my eyes that I paid her the gratitude as what she did to me.

She told me---“Tomorrow I will take you to the hospital.”

During the night, after my brothers arrived all sat in a closed door meeting and I was not allowed to enter. On last visit at my native place, when we both were leaving, Bodo Boudi came out of her kitchen to bid us good bye. It was the first time in many years, she came out of her kitchen in her entire life to bid good bye to us. I didn’t know what he did or what he told to her. Only that pair of smiling eyes floated in front of my sniveled eyes, then.

I walked up the roof and looked up the sky. I stood in one corner of the roof, just the place where he sat few months back during our last visit.

I was desperate to meet him but also at the same time I was having the pain of losing my ChotoMa. She had done lot for me and I was in debt to her for what she did. How can I let their heads bow down in shame in front society, among the relatives? I was a girl, a naïve girl who had to die thousands times before taking any drastic steps in life.

A terrible chain of thoughts jostled inside my head. Cancer of Bodo Boudi, pain of losing my love, ChotoMa’s affection. The whole world shook violently in front of my eyes. I could not think of anything. I felt a sharp pain inside my head and all of a sudden everything went black in front of my eyes.

When I opened my eyes, I was on a bed surrounded by ChotoMa, my Mom, Meghna Boudi and my brothers.

Mom’s eyes were filled with tears as she looked at my painful face.

She asked ChotoMa in choked voice---“What’s happening to my house Ulupi?”

ChotoMa probably sensed the reason behind my ill health. She knew the truth that it was not only due to Bodo Boudi’s cancer it was something more than that.

Mom rubbed her soothing palm all over my head and face. She was in dark as what was going inside my heart. Only person who knew as what was going on was ChotoMa. But her eyes were also filled up with tears; probably she was bearing the same pain of losing his son. It was really hard to fathom as she could veil very aptly, her feelings.

ChotoMa told me---“You could goto meet your Bodo Boudi tomorrow.”

But next day also, I was not taken to hospital on pretext of something.

On Chaurthi, the fourth day after Mahalaya, I was walking towards the backyard of the house, beside the pond. Everywhere I felt his touch, in the pond, on the path. Every place in my house bore his reminiscences. I walked to the mango tree; that he planted long time ago and sat under that tree. I tried hard to feel him on the trunk of the tree. On that place, he kissed me on the last night. Still those kisses lingered on my lips, my forehead. I looked up the cobalt blue sky. The aroma of the air was filled up with Puja and Puja. But those aromas were not getting inside my brain.

Dushtu came running at me and said---“Bodo Jethima (eldest aunt) has returned to the house.”

I was more than happy, at least some solace to my painful mind and soul.

I came running to the house and found that everyone was gathered in the dining hall. I asked mom as where was Bodo Boudi (eldest sister-in-law).

She said to me---“She has just arrived. She is inside her room.”

I walked inside her room and found her lying on the bed, covered till her neck. She was so sick and so wispy, that when she smiled at me, I wanted to tell her that “Don’t smile just be there on bed and stand on your feet for my sake.”

From that day I was always by her side for every moment and also at night. Her left breast was amputated. She was on chemo. She was gradually regaining her strength although she was very weak, but at least she was able to sit on the bed and walk to the bathroom.

On Navami, ninth day of Durga Puja, she felt better than previous days. I helped her to take bath and she looked at me while I was combing her hair. Most of the hair had fallen by then due to chemotherapy.

She whispered in a very weak voice---“Paree, I want to goto to the Durga Mandir, will you take me?”

I told her “Why not?”

---“Today evening?”

---“Yes, sure. We all will go. Mom, ChotoMa, Sumanto Da, Meghna Boudi, Dushtu, and Maithili everyone will go with you.”

The evening came; I was very happy to find that Bodo Boudi was able to walk and would goto to the Durga Mandir. I was in her room when helping her to get dress up. I dressed her in a red cotton saree. Her smiling face was trying to say something else which I was unable to understand. She asked me to take out a beautiful sky blue and white check Sambalpuri silk saree from the almirah. I asked her as what was that. She told me that my brother brought that one for her but she wanted me to wear that on that day.

I wore that saree and came down to her room. Everyone was looking at me. I smiled to everyone. My mom came near me and kissed me on the forehead. Bodo Boudi was sitting on the bed with a wooden box in her hand. She patted on the bed beside her and asked me to sit.

She rubbed her soothing palm all over my face and with hazy eyes looked at me.

I asked---“Why are you crying? You will be ok?” but I was not a child anymore and I also knew that the clock was ticking very fast. The winded spring of the clock has reached the optimum and it would stop any moment.

She said---“I am just beholding how beautiful you are.” She handed me that wooden box and opened that. I saw, it was filled up with few gold bangles and three gold chains and few pairs of gold earrings.

I was bewildered as what was she going to do?

She said nothing and picked up one gold necklace and put that around my neck. Then she put another one and then she made me wear a pair of big gold earring.

Large drops of tears were rolling down her cheeks as she was slowly pushing those gold bangles on my wrist.

After she finished, she took my face between her palms and asked me to call Sumanto Da.

I called Sumanto Da.

She looked at him and said---“See how beautiful your sister is looking. Just like a fairy from the heaven has descended on the earth.”

She gently caressed my cheeks. My chest already gurgled in some unknown fear.

I placed my palms over her to enjoy every bit of her soothing caresses on my soft cheeks.

All of a sudden she held her chest, her bust convulsed. As if small waves crushed on her repeatedly. I held her in my arms, tightly and screamed out for my mother. Sumanto Da asked her to lie down.

She shook her head---“No, let me lie down in her arms only.”

Her upper torso convulsed repeatedly. Blood oozed out of the bandaged chest.

Her lips were dry. Those lips shook a bit and she raised her right hand over my head.

I cried out till my last drop of strength was exhausted---“Ma, come quickly.”

All of them came running inside the room.

She raised her hand and put her palm on my head---“I am happy that you are here.”

I held her tightly across my chest---“YOU CAN”T LEAVE ME LIKE THAT. NO, NO, NO.”

The blood from her chest already soaked the upper part of my saree and my blouse.

My sight was hazy then, who cared what was happening around me.

She closed her teary eyes. Her head bent on my lap and her hand fell on her side after sometime like an old dried twig.

My eldest brother, Sumanto Da came near me and took my head in her arms. I was unable to breathe properly as my chest was convulsing. Boudi’s lifeless body in my arms and I was helpless.

Sumanto Da said to me---“Everything has finished. Nothing is left here for me.”

My Bodo Boudi was no more among us. On that day, when everyone was enjoying the Navami Puja, I had to immerse my Goddess Annapurna forever.

I knew that every year Devi Durga comes to make our life filled up with joy and happiness, but my Annapurna, Parvati Boudi won’t come back to me again.

Chapter 4: Console bleeding heart

---------------------------------------

Mourning ceremony was to be held after thirteen days so I had to stay there for next fortnight. ChotoMa went for her school; she said to me that she would visit every day afternoon before she goes home.

Kalyani also visited our house as she resides in the same village as mine.

One evening I and Kalyani was walking in the back side of the house, beside the pond.

Kalyani asked me about him---“Paree, where is Abhimanyu? Have you told him the news of demise of Bodo Boudi? He should come?”

I looked at her, what I should say to her, I could not understand. Should I tell her the truth or console myself by telling her that he would come. But how could he come when he didn’t know about the demise of Bodo Boudi?

I said to her---“If I make a STD call from your house, will you mind?”

I knew Suprotim Da’s residence telephone number.

She shook her head---“Why? Where is he that you have to call STD?”

“He has gone to Delhi for job. He is very busy so I think he will be unable to come.” While I said those words to her, I looked down so as not to look at Kalyani’s face. I was the worst liar in the whole world.

She was surprised to know that he went away---“But …… at least he should come now? At least he should think about you as what was going on?”

How could I tell her, as what all was going inside my chest?

We walked till the mango tree and stopped there. I touched the trunk and tried to feel his touch.

Kalyani smiled at me and asked---“Missing him?” She hugged me.

I gave her a faint smile and hid the pain gurgling inside my chest.

She nudged my chin---“Ok come on. Let’s us call him.”

I said to her---“I don’t know his number?”

She looked at me with big surprised eyes---“WHAT? He has gone away and you haven’t his number? Has he not called you?”

---“No I mean, he might have called ChotoMa and Babu. May be I was in the college during that time.”

She didn’t believe me as what I said. She held me by hand and pushed my chin up. My sight was hazy by then.

“You are hiding something. Your eyes doesn’t depict the pain of separation only, there is something more that you are not telling me. What is that?” She touched my cheek.

Her touch made me go meek in my heart and I sobbed out---“He will come for me right?”

I sat under the tree and she sat beside on the ground. She took my face between her palms and asked as what had happened to us?

With choked voice, I said to her---“ChotoMa smelled our relation and he was banished from his own house. I feel guilty for all this.”

She asked---“How and when all this happened? You have not told me a single word all this time?”

---“Always there was a pair of prying eyes hovering around me, how could I?”

---“You could have called me from outside, when you go to college.”

---“I thought why to bother you.”

She wiped my tears with her thumbs---“So am I not your friend?”

She pulled me up from the ground---“Do you want to goto Delhi and leave your house forever?”

I was taken aback by her words, was she asking me to be desperate and leave ChotoMa and Babu?

I wiped my face with the back of my hand and looked at her---“No, I can’t leave my ChotoMa and Babu. They have done lot for me. They have fought for my studies and I can’t at least make their heads stoop in front of the society in shame, just for me.”

I took a deep breath and said---“He will surely come. He has to come. I know. The society and families knows only the tinker of money. He will struggle and fight against this society and will sweep me away from all my miseries. But I can’t leave my house or my family in any sense.”

She hugged me tightly---“Hope that he comes back. I really envy you two. I really envy your faith and his struggle.”

She asked me to walk along with her to her house.

We walked along the narrow path between the fields and by the pond she asked me---“Do you want to call Suprotim Da’s home?”

I nodded in accordance.

When we entered our house, I observed that ChotoMa was there discussing something with my mom and other elders.

She saw me enter the house with Kalyani. My heart skipped few paces faster in some unknown fear that ChotoMa would probably ask Kalyani about details of our relation or she would ask something more drastic.

We, Kalyani and I, both looked at each other’s face. She winked at me and signed me to keep quiet, if any questions are asked by ChotoMa, she would handle.

Instead ChotoMa smiled sweetly at her and asked---“How are you?”

She nodded her head to say that she was fine.

---“I think you will be a better person to take care of her, since you are friends from childhood.”

We both were very much relieved to hear those words from ChotoMa. A huge boulder came off our chest and we both smiled at each other.

ChotoMa then asked Kalyani---“Why don’t you take her with you to your home? I think if she stays here the demise of Parvati will haunt her every moment. If she stays with you then she would probably feel relieved for some time.”

I felt a deep urge to hug my ChotoMa with all my strength as she said those words to me.

She looked at my mom---“Am I telling something wrong? If she stays with her then it won’t be a problem for you I suppose?”

My mom answered and smiled at me---“She is your daughter now.”

We walked out of our house.

That night we called Suprotim Da’s home in New Delhi, but alas none answered the phone. For the rest of the days till I was in my native place and with Kalyani, we called his house. Every time the phone rang, but no one answered.

The day, I was to come back to my house at DumDum with ChotoMa.

Dushtu came to me and said---“Next time when you will come, please bring Abhi Uncle along with you. I have not heard his stories for a long time.”

I smiled at him and nodded---“Sure I will call him and tell him to come.”

I consoled my heart that my thief would come one day and free his fairy from the ivory cage. He would sweep her feet away to the mountains. Just it was a matter of time.

Chapter 5: Glimmer of hope, fades

--------------------------------------

Days passed without much ripples. After I returned to my house in DumDum, I was given some freedom. Then I was at least allowed to close my door of my room at night.

On the first day when I locked my door, I took out his diary and read that for a long time. He loved to write stories and poems. All those were very, very funny. I laughed a lot while reading those poems. Truly speaking, some were good but most of them were nonsense. And that nonsense made me laugh at night. I was able to breathe again in the fresh air. Gradually I was feeling happy again as that diary was with me and I was at least able to read his memoirs every night.

ChotoMa and Babu were also happy to see my smiling face. But they didn’t know the reason behind my smiling face.

The day was two weeks before Christmas; first marriage anniversary of Subroto and Maithili. It was also the day I met him. It was a memorable day for me. The day of my first kiss, although it was on my forehead but it was the most sweetest and most precious. It was early morning and I was still in my bed remembering those sweet moments and was smiling inside my heart.

I knew by my heart that he must be feeling those same and I knew he would somehow try to contact me.

ChotoMa and Babu had just finished calling Maithili and Subroto to wish them their first anniversary. She asked for me but ignored them with some pretext. I told ChotoMa to tell them that I was in bathroom and I would call them afterwards.

It was the venomous curse of Maithili that took him away from me.

I was getting ready for my college. ChotoMa already left for her school. Babu was near to the telephone and I was in my room when the phone rang.

I was about to run to pick up the phone, but Babu answered. I stood at the door of my room. My heart was telling me that the call was from him.

Babu---“Hello who is this?”

Some one answered, but I was unable to fathom as who was on the other end. Whatever the answer was, that made his face muscles strained, jaws clenched. I could observe all those facial expressions of Babu as I observed his face from his side. I was standing behind him at the entrance of my room. His back was towards me.

---“We are well. Why have you called?”

From that answer I was sure that it was him on the other end. My heart galloped like a race horse trying to finish the race. I was trying to gather all my strength to get into that receiver of the phone, just to hear his voice. I clasped the curtain.

---“She is not here. She has gone to her native place.”

He was not aware that telephone was there at my native place by then. He would unable to cross-check what Babu told him. I closed my eyes, my sight went hazy. My face turned red and my ears were burning.

---“Yes she is studying M.Sc. We have finalized her marriage. After her M.Sc. she will get married soon.”

I couldn’t know what his reaction was on the other end, but I stood there as a lifeless corpse on hearing those words. The whole world shook in front of my eyes. I lost myself into deep oblivion. The only thought that ran in my mind was that I lost him forever. Hope that he doesn’t lose himself and keep a faith in me.

---“Don’t call us again and try to mess her life. She is happy with what has come.”

I closed the door behind me very quietly, so as not to make any noise. I tore the pillow apart to vent my agony. I cried my heart out in utter pain. He called but I was not able to talk to him. I bit the pillow between my teeth to drowse my cries and the gurgles inside my chest.

Babu knocked the door---“ShonaMa, you are getting late for college. Are you ok?”

I screamed out with all my strength---“NO I AM NOT OK. JUST GO AWAY. How could you all do this to me?” Not a single sound came out from my lips. I buried all those cries deep inside my heart.

I wiped my face and said to Babu---“I am not feeling well today.”

---“Ok, take rest then. Let your ChotoMa return, she will take you to the doctor.”

At least I was relieved that he didn’t observe me standing behind him and eaves dropping his conversation, else another second world war would have started that night.

I kept to myself after that incident and that was noticed by my friends. Teesta and Delish wanted to know, but I was not at all in a position to tell them as what all had happened. After that day, I crawled deep in a shell like a hermit crab. Only thought that rang time and again inside my brain, heart, mind and soul, I have lost him. That one sentence of Babu was enough for the glimmer of hope to get faded.

Few days after that incident, I stood at the College Street bus-stand waiting for my bus. The winter had already set in Kolkata. The festive season of Christmas could be felt in the air. I was in a salwar and a cardigan. I was feeling cold all due to heavy heart. Few busses passed by but I was lost somewhere else in his thought. Someone touched my shoulder.

---“You are standing here since long time. Two or three busses of your route had already passed.”

I recognized the voice; it was of Sankho Chakroborty of our class only. We talked very less as he was bit timid guy. He was not so tall, just medium built medium height guy. Very, very normal looking person and he were studious. He never had courage to talk to me as Teesta, Delisha, Debobroto and few others were always with me. I was also counted as a very, very studious and snobby person. It was all due to my quiet nature. Probably I talked less, mingled with less people.

I smiled faintly at him---“Just like that. All those busses were crowded so I was just waiting for some other bus.”

He asked me---“Want to walk with me till Sealdah? From there you will get several buses for your home.”

I nodded my head “Ok”.

As soon as we started to walk I heard a whistle. On hearing that I was sure that cunning Debobroto had definitely seen us together and he would surely make my life hell.

He came running towards me and asked---“Sankho? I am surprised to find you walking away with my girlfriend.”

He teased me a lot and he always wanted to bring smile on my gloom face. On hearing those words I flung my bag at him. Sankho was shy person so he kept quiet.

He patted on Sankho’s back and said to him---“Now you can go. I will take her from here.”

I yelled at him---“You rascal, am I your property?”

He teased me again---“Not yet.”

Sankho’s scratched his scalp and quietly walked away.

After he went away, Debobroto all of sudden became serious and asked me---“What has happened to you? Since few days, I have observed that you are not talking properly with anyone.”

I shook my head and said to him---“Nothing I am well. I am heavy hearted due to demise of my eldest-sister-in-law nothing else.”

“Hey come on” He nudged me by my shoulder.

I looked at him, felt relieved by his friendly gesture.

He asked me---“Are you going somewhere this winter?”

I shook my head---“No. Are you going?”

---“Yes”

---“Where?”

---“New Delhi, my eldest sister is there.”

My heart skipped. Place where he was. My eyes flashed which was unnoticed by him.

He asked---“What happened?”

I almost pleaded him---“Will you do me a favour when you will be in Delhi?”

---“Sure, what?”

I only knew Suprotim Da’s residence number and nothing else. When we went to his house, he came in his car. Only thing I knew that the house was near a big market and there was kali temple near his house.

I said to him---“I will give one letter and a phone number. Could you please contact that number and take that address and give that letter to that person?”

His eyes flashed mischievously---“Hmmmm….. Old affair.”

I shook my head---“NO, NO, NO, he is husband of a good friend of mine.”

He was unable to understand anything---“You want me to meet the husband of your friend?”

---“Yes, you promised me that you will do that.”

“Ok” he nodded. “I will be going in first week of January, give your message before that.”

I was happy as I knew that my letter would at least bring some news. I was happy that I got a messenger to carry my news. But I was skeptical about finding the right person, as I didn’t know Suprotim Da’s address. Only what I knew was his phone number.

After few days, I gave a letter to Debobroto addressed to Suprotim Da. In that letter I wrote to Suprotim Da, asking about my heartbeat’s whereabouts and to keep faith in me.

I was happy for another reason also; ChotoMa promised me that she would present me a cell-phone. But no one talked about the cell-phone in the house. The dinner table conversation and all others were very normal. No one talked about buying me a cell-phone. I was skeptical about the cell-phone after few days.

The Christmas arrived. On the morning of Christmas as I woke up I found that ChotoMa and Babu, as usual they were early birds, so they were sipping tea in the drawing room.

When I came out of the bathroom after getting fresh, I found a gift pack on my bed.

I was very happy as I opened the pack and found a Nokia handset model 3330. I sensed my freedom through that phone.

I ran to drawing room and thanked ChotoMa and Babu.

She smiled at me and said---“Happy now?”

My face was beaming with a smile of thousand volts---“Very happy.”

“But there is a caution….” She said to me. And I was expecting that.

She said to me---“Promise me, that you will not do anything that will stoop down our faces in front of the society.”

All the glimmers were just gone by that single sentence. I walked silently to my room without answering her.

She came behind me---“What? I have not got your answer yet.”

I clutched the phone in one hand and with another I hold the chair. My back was turned towards her so she was unaware of my facial expression. I controlled myself and nodded my head. I also knew by heart that I was lying to them as they lied to him.

She was happy as she observed me nodding my head but same time was skeptical about my future reactions.

Anyway, after she left my room, I thought of him and a way to call him.

I thought hard as whom to make the first call. If I knew his number then surely it would be him, but alas I didn’t have his contact number and neither had I known his whereabouts.

After dinner I retired to my room and then I thought to make my first call. I was alone in my room and the door was locked from inside.

I called Suprotim Da’s house. It was about eleven o’clock in the night. The phone bell rang for few minutes. I thought “Probably they have slept”. I was about to disconnect the phone when someone answered. It was lady’s voice and I recognized that would be Suprotim Da’s mother.

---“Hello, who is this?”

---“Suchismita, I am a friend of Suprotim Da’s friend from Kolkata.”

She recognized my voice---“Oh! Yes, yes I remember. You came to my house. How are you?”

My heart danced. I was able to see the dawn on the horizon. The red sun was rising from east.

---“Can I talk to Suprotim Da?”

She paused for few Moments---“Suprotim is not in Delhi. After their marriage they have shifted to Bangalore.”

I let out a deep exhale, but I didn’t lose my hope. I thought “Should I ask her about him or not?”

---“Can I get his mobile number?”

She gave me his mobile number.

I asked her at last---“Do you have any news of Abhimanyu?” After a long time, probably after one hundred and fifty days I pronounced his full name from my lips. My heart was thumping very fast to hear his news.

---“Hmmmm…. He came two weeks ago. He was ok.”

I saw the sun rising from the horizon---“Can I get his contact number?”

She paused for a Moment and said---“Am actually not sure whether he is still in New Delhi or not.”

I couldn’t believe my ears, it was so near to reach the finish line and I was about to finish my race when someone forcefully pulled the ribbon away.

I gathered all my courage and asked---“Can you tell me where he has gone?”

She said---“No, but Suprotim might know. You can call him.”

I disconnected the call---“Ok auntie, bye. Merry Christmas.”

I clenched my jaws as I dialed Suprotim Da’s mobile number. A single sentence from Babu devastated our life again.

Suprotim Da picked up the phone---“Who is calling?”

I answered---“I am Paree.”

He was surprised to hear my voice---“After so long time?”

“Yes.” my chest was preparing herself for an unknown anxiety.

What he told to me next, shattered all my dreams and all those glimmers of hope faded away.

---“Abhi called me last week. He told to me that you were getting married and your marriage has been fixed.”

My lungs busted inside my ribcage---“No, it is not true.” I was unable to scream out as it would wake ChotoMa and Babu.

---“He was devastated by that news. He called you only to tell that he is working hard and he would return to take you back. You know that money counts in the society. If you are rich and a prestigious person, then the surroundings around us overlook all those age difference and problems. People like to hear tinkers of money, so he drowned himself in work, work and your thoughts. But then …”

---“Then, what? Where is he now? I want his number I want to talk to him.”

---“He told me that he was going to Israel for IT training and he also told me that since you were getting married so he would never return to Kolkata in future. He left New Delhi just four days ago. If you could have called then… What are you going to do?”

I closed my eyes as I heard that last sentence.

---“You both have lost the battle.”

I wanted to scream out in top of my voice “I can’t lose the battle. I was forced to lose the battle but my Abhi can’t lose any battle.” But he was gone.

I disconnected the phone and lay on my back for a long time. Clutched the pillow on my chest and bit that soft cotton between my teeth to douse the sound of my pain and tears.

I got up from my bed and walked to the bookshelf to pull out the diary. Read all those pages with my hazy eyes. The lines that he wrote in those white pages seemed to be all fake. I felt to tear all those pages and burn the diary called as “Optics Notebook”. That notebook kept me alive in those past months, but what then after he was gone away forever. But something inside me resisted me not to destroy the diary.

First it was the values of the society, yet there was some hope. Then a single lie and he was gone forever. All my hopes, the light at the end of the tunnel everything faded. All the dreams shattered in front of eyes. If he could have faith in me then he would surely understand me that it was not me who was talking. How could I clarify myself was then a big question.

I asked Debobroto to return me the letter and asked him not to contact that phone number in future.

Few days later, I went to my native place during the New Year and I handed the “Optics Notebook” to Kalyani. She asked me as what was that. I told her that it bears some reminiscences of past memoirs. She opened the diary.

She was surprised to see that---“This is Abhimanyu’s. Why are you giving this to me?”

My voice choked as I told her as what had happened. I was unable to control myself while I narrated the whole incident to her.

---“Why don’t you keep this with you?”

---“Is there any reason left to keep that diary with me? He has left me.”

She paused for a Moment and then looked at the “Optics Notebook” and asked me---“Why don’t you burn this or destroy this, when you don’t want to keep this with yourself?”

I took a deep breath and said her---“This diary dates back from 1992. This contains not only the pages of our love, but it contains his childhood, his pains, reminiscences of his friendship and many more. I can’t destroy his childhood or his friendship.”

She asked me---“What are you going to do now?”

I shook my head---“I don’t know. But I know that I have to live and whatever comes I will face.”

---“Means?”

I wiped my eyes, took a deep breath and said---“Probably my Mom would also not approve our relation. He is a distant relative and he is younger than me. Who is important? My love or my Mother and ChotoMa? I am a girl; we have to sacrifice a lot of things in life before taking any step in life. If he would not have gone then I would have waited for him throughout my life. Why should I now?”

She shook her head in dismay. Her voice was also choked---“Both of you knew as what was going to happen and you had to face that together. May be he has left for struggle. May be he will come for you, again. Why are you losing your hope?”

---“I am too tired Kalyani. He could have left any message to Suprotim Da asking me to keep faith, which he didn’t. He just left with broken heart.”

---“What else he can do if your Babu tell him that you were getting married?”

I understood the reason then, the fate was not with us.

Who actually lost? We all lost. ChotoMa sacrificed, Abhimanyu squandered off and I suffered.

The lovely fairy of that mischievous thief squandered off that day forever.

Chapter 6: Reeling stone

----------------------------

Does the life end if a person goes away? Pubali passed away, but her parents lived. Arundhuti lived. I also made up my mind and consoled my soul “It is fate that has to be blamed. Fate brought us together only to bring pain in our life. We have to overcome that pain and life doesn’t end there.”

Days passed. I tried hard to rebuild my soul. But my heart and soul always reminded me the pain of separation.

I lost weight and that was noticed by ChotoMa and Babu.

One Sunday morning Babu asked me---“What happened to you? You are not having your food properly and you are losing weight? This is not a good sign Paree.”

ChotoMa also voiced the same and I was taken to a doctor. But medicines didn’t helped that much.

After the winter break the classes started as usual. I drowned myself in studies and books.

ChotoMa noticed that I was very quiet; I lost all the old composure that I used to have. My free spirit, frolic nature was gone.

She asked me one day---“You have to be strong and forget the past. A whole new life is waiting ahead of you.”

I looked at her face and said---“You want me to forget as what has happened? Tell me how.”

She held my hands in hers and said---“I am a mother. I have sacrificed so why can’t you?”

I gave a painful smile---“I have drowned myself in books and studies. I will try to rebuild my old composure. But you have lost your son what about that?”

She let out a deep breath from her chest---“Probably he will understand someday.”

Slowly I freed my hand from her clutch---“Can I be alone for some time? Please.”

I closed the door after she left my room. ChotoMa’s soul was also bearing the pain but she was adamant about her prestige that we can’t be together. Did she know that her son has gone out of India? I didn’t know then.

My guardians sensed that I had totally doused myself in my studies and books. They felt some freedom should be given to me.

Winter was passing away. One year has passed after that beautiful trip to Chitkul.

It was third week of February. One day after the college, we all friends were walking towards the Medical College.

Debobroto asked me---“You took away the letter, why?”

I smiled at him---“Suprotim Da, to whom the letter was addressed, was not in Delhi. He has shifted to Bangalore.”

---“Can I ask as what was so important in that letter? You seemed to be very desperate then.”

I hide my pains behind a smile---“No you can’t. That’s all a ladies talk between two friends.”

---“So have you contacted him after that to talk to your friend?”

---“Yes I have contacted. Now there is no need.”

What he understood I didn’t know. But Teesta and Delisha looked at us while we were talking.

Teesta teased me---“Am I sensing some smoke between you two?”

Debobroto patted on the back of her head and said---“Don’t think everyone like you at least.”

Delisha nodded her head---“Hmmmm…… too much possessive about her.”

---“Hey, I am not Tirthankar and she is not Teesta. So you two better keep your mouth shut.”

I sensed that I was the centre of their discussion which could turn ugly.

So I said to at all of them---“We are friends, so let it be as a friendship. No more words. I am fine with what I have.”

He said to all of the people---“Want to enjoy a movie.”

Rajat, Pushpanjali, Sankho and every one nodded their head in accordance.

I kept quiet as I was not in mood that day to watch any movie.

Debobroto looked at me and asked---“What about you?”

I shook my head---“Not today. May be some other day.”

“Sunday?” he asked me. At that time I was skeptical about ChotoMa’s permission.

I said to him---“I would try.”

---“Good then. Sunday at Globe.”

Rajat and Pushpanjali said in chorus voice---“So for one person we are going to postpone our movie?”

Teesta came to my rescue---“No, no. I was also thinking of Sunday. Tirthankar would also come then.”

Delisha also voiced---“Then Danish can also be with us. It will be very good gathering.”

We all settled for the movie on Sunday.
On Saturday evening I asked ChotoMa for permitting me to enjoy a movie with my friends. She gave the permission to enjoy with my friends but cautioned me to return before night fall. That was the first outing with my friends after I was chained in an ivory cage.

I sensed the air of freedom. But that breeze of freedom was a stench one.

I wore a pink and red salwar and dressed myself very simple. Not much of make ups or anything. Only the lock danced on my right cheek.

On Sunday morning, Teesta called---“We are coming to pick you up. Actually Tirthankar has got his car with him.”

Tirthankar, I noticed his eyes hovered over my torso as we met for the first time. Then I felt awkward. I thought to decline her help and then I thought “Let me face and see what he can do?”

I waited at the bus-stand for them to pick me up. He came in a blue Maruti Alto with Teesta in tow.

Teesta greeted me with open arms---“You are looking beautiful even in this simple salwar.”

She wore a white silhouette hugging navy blue top and a faded pairs of jeans. I looked at Tirthankar; he waved his hand and asked me to sit on the back seat.

Teesta also sat with me in the back seat and slapped Tirthankar’s head---“Now drive and don’t look back you naughty fellah.”

He smiled at us and started to drive---“It is hard to drive if such two beauties are seated on the backseat.”

I knew that that was for me, but I didn’t spoke a word.

All the way to the Esplanade, Teesta babbled various nonsense’s most of which I didn’t pay any attention.

She asked me---“Why have you become so quiet?”

I shook my head---“Nothing, that’s my nature.”

---“But you were a different type when we first met. You were more jovial and puerile. Something has happened in between.”

I waved my hand and smiled at her---“Nothing, dear. Change is evitable in every person as the person matures. Quantum Mechanics!”

We both laughed as she heard me talking about physics.

As we reached the Globe Theatre, we found Delisha and Danish. It was first time I was meeting Danish. He was tall, probably six feet, fair and handsome guy. He looked dashing in his faded blue jeans and blue and pink check shirt. I looked at Delisha, who gave a bear hug to me and complimented.

“You are not going to change. You will always dress simple but elegant” Delisha said to me.

I looked at Danish and joined my palms to express courtesy. He looked at me and the look was very different from all males. Those eyes contained glimmer of affection, stripes of pain.

He looked at me and smiled---“No need to do that Apa."

I couldn’t understand as what he addressed to me and I asked Delisha as what he has told.

Danish came near me and said---“My elder sister is in Dubai. I have not met her for a long time. You reminded me of her so I was looking at you like that.”

His words made my sight little hazy, which he and Delisha noticed.

Delisha rubbed me shoulders---“Come on enjoy the movie.”

I smiled at Delisha and said---“Danish is very handsome and good person. Heaven has made you two with ultimate perfection.”

---“Come on. You are too much emotional.”

That amorous beautiful pair, reminded me of him, for one second. I shook my head involuntarily, when I thought of the “Schindler’s list” movie incident.

Pushpanjali and Sankho reached together, but our leader Debobroto was nowhere in the scene.

I looked at the poster it was screening “Cliffhanger” of Sylvester Stallone.

Teesta looked at Sankho and teased him---“Is Pushpanjali is with you?”

He was a quiet timid guy so he smiled and blushed---“Actually she lives near my house so we came together.”

I asked Pushpanjali as where was Rajat. She shook her head---“How can I know?”

Delisha whispered in my ears---“Don’t tell; they had a huge fight yesterday.”

I looked at her---“What, were they seeing each other?” I didn’t know that an undercurrent of love was flowing between Rajat and Pushpanjali.

After sometime, Debobroto came along with Rajat in tow. They were smoking cigarette.

As soon as he saw Danish and Tirthankar, he screamed---“Hey, today brother-in-laws are going to give us the treat. Come on.”

We all laughed. Danish bought the tickets.

We took our seats. Teesta was on my right and Pushpanjali was on my left. On Pushpanjali’s left it was Debobroto instead of Rajat. On Teesta’s right, Tirthankar was seated. The movie started.

As the scenes progressed I felt someone touching my back, the exposed upper back, beneath my bun. I looked back in anger and I was totally taken aback to find Tirthankar was grazing his fingers on my exposed skin.

My ears burnt and I clenched my jaws. I felt being molested with that touch. That shameless devious person was caressing my exposed back while his girlfriend was sitting next to him with her arms on his chest. I leaned forward.

Pushpanjali noticed that and asked me as what has happened. I shook my head to say her that nothing has happened.

After sometime I looked back. His hand was not there, so I leaned back on the seat again. As soon as I leaned back, I felt those lewd fingers on my bun again. I was furious by his gestures. I leaned forward again and that time Debobroto noticed me.

He looked back on the seat and he clenched his jaws. He outstretched his arms behind Pushpanjali’s back and rested on my seat.
sensed that some fight would start now, as I knew Debobroto was hot headed. Same time I was smiling inside.

As I expected so it happened. Tirthankar’s finger touched Debobroto’s palm and he clutched his hand.

In the midst of the hall, Debobroto growled at Tirthankar---“Come out, we need to talk.”

Teesta was unaware of all the activities so she gave a bewildered look at Debobroto and Tirthankar and me.

---“What happened?”

Tirthankar palm was still in Debobroto’s clutch. He said---“Nothing just nothing. I was caressing Teesta’s back and may be it touched hers.”

I knew that he was telling lie, his touches were deliberate.

I stood up from my seat and said---“I am not going to watch, I am going.”

Debobroto growled at Tirthankar---“You swine, son-of-bitch walk outside with me.”

Danish was sitting next to Tirthankar. He and Delisha looked at me and asked as what has happened.

I said that I was not feeling well so I was going out.

Debobroto was furious then as he saw me standing. He pulled up Tirthankar from his seat by force.

---“You swine, are you coming out or I will kill you here.”

Teesta was unable to understand as what all was happening.

I told her---“I am not feeling well. I am going home.”

I walked out alone. Debobroto and Rajat also came out after me. They asked me as what actually has happened.

I told them---“I am not feeling well” my ears were burning in shame as if some has raped in broad daylight. I wiped the corner of my eyes; those tears were not hidden from Debobroto.

After few minutes, Delisha and Danish also came out. Danish asked me also the same question. When Debobroto told him Tirthankar’s activities, he was furious. After few more minutes, Teesta walked out with Pushpanjali. My face burnt in anger the moment I saw Teesta.

Debobroto shouted at her---“Keep your swine under chain. You bitch. If he ever comes in front of me again, I promise that I will kill him.”

Teesta gave a fiery look at Debobroto and said to him---“Mind your language.”

I said to Teesta---“Think of a situation, if same incident happened to you what you would have done?”

Teesta said---“It was not a deliberate action. It was by fluke.”

I wiped my lips with the back of my hand as it had already gone dry with anger---“You better know what you are hiding.”

Teesta took my hand in hers and apologized---“If something of that sort has happened, then I will deal with him. I am sorry for what has happened. I apologize to you. Now please come in.”

I was in no mood after that incident to go inside so I said---“No. I want to go back home.” I paused for few seconds and then continued---“Once my ChotoMa cautioned me that friends are hard to find in this world and I should judge before getting close.”

We both understood that a crack has developed in our friendship. We both gave a painful glance at each other.

Delisha hugged me and consoled me---“Let her go.”

She looked at Teesta and said---“Someday you will understand that how your careless nature, destroyed your surroundings.”

On hearing those words from Delisha’s lips, tears rolled down Teesta’s cheeks.

Danish came to me and said---“Come on Apa. Leave her. Let us goto my house, Ammii will be very happy to see you. My eldest sister has not come home in last three years.”

Delisha also pleaded me to visit her future in-laws house.

I smiled at them and said---“Ok. But I need to inform Babu.”

I called Babu and informed that I would return late as I was going out with my friends. He didn’t object but cautioned me as every dotting father does for his child. Sometimes I find hard to understand ChotoMa and Babu.

We walked out of the hall, Teesta stood there alone in the portico of the theatre alone and lost.

Debobroto asked Danish that where his residence was?

Delisha asked him---“Are you going with us?” She joked at him---“You are not invited.”

“Come on” he laughed at Danish “No brother. I am also not feeling well actually.”

He shook hand with Danish and left us.

Danish’s residence was at Khiddirpore. We all boarded a taxi.

On the way, I asked Danish---“Who is going to drop me back home?”

Danish was sitting on the front row. He looked back over his shoulder and said to me---“I will take my brother’s car and we both will drop you at your place.”

It was already evening. His residence was in a lane. The entrance was a small one, but after I entered, I found the rooms and house beautifully decorated.

A woman in her early fifties greeted us and hugged Delisha. His mother was overjoyed to see her future daughter-in-law. She looked at me and paused for few seconds.

She asked Danish---“Who is this?”

Delisha answered---“This is my friend Suchismita. We both are in same stream.”

I bent to touch her feet. She rubbed her soothing palms on my head and said---“You remind me of Saima, Danish’s eldest sister.”

She let out a deep exhale from her chest and said---“I have not seen my daughter for a long time. We only talk on phone. I just console my heart with the voice of my child.”

She gave me some dish made up of pulses and meat, to eat. It was the first time I tasted any dish like that. Delisha explained that the dish was called as “Halim”. It tasted good.

I stayed there for few hours and her mother asked about me and all.

Babu called after sometime so as to keep a tab about my whereabouts. I sensed that I was getting late for home and I should go so I asked Danish to drop me.

Before returning, his mother presented me silver coin with some calligraphic inscription on it.

On the return way back, Delisha explained me that the inscription was a name of their Messenger.

That day, I was very much perturbed due to all the incidents that happened with me.

My disturbance was clearly depicted on my face.

During the dining hour, ChotoMa asked me as what happened. I kept quiet. She asked me again, I told her that I would divulge all those details to her alone.

So after diner she came to my room and asked me---“What happened to you? Who has done what with you?”

“How could she know that someone has done something with me?” was my first reaction when I heard her question. Then I thought that she was my ChotoMa and a mother’s heart easily fathoms whatever turbulence runs in her child’s mind.

I told her everything and sobbed out. She asked me to be careful while dwelling with persons.

She cautioned me again---“That’s why I caution you time and again, that you should know the nature of the people before you make friendship”

“I am sorry ChotoMa,” I sobbed profusely.

---“You need not feel sorry, but from next time try to avoid persons trying to get closer to you.”

Days passed. The ripples around me were unable to touch me or move me in any sense. The distance between Teesta and me, widened further. I could feel that, most of the people were also avoiding her mainly Delisha and Pushpanjali.

The Holi festival came. A year before that day, I was very much happy. A year before that day, I was in my native place. I enjoyed Holi with my friends. I anxiously waited for the next Holi to spend with him. A Holi I wanted to remember for lifetime, which never occurred in my life.

Just like any normal day, that day I bathed in the morning and offered Puja in the puja room.

ChotoMa and Babu asked me whether any of my friends would be visiting me or not. I said them that no one would visit me.

I offered them my regards by applying the coloured powder on their feet and they blessed me. All the colours from my life were gone. Both of my guardians understood the pain in my heart but kept quiet. ChotoMa applied the coloured powder on my forehead and blessed me.

For the whole day, I kept myself busy in reading books and doing house chores. I used to do all the house chores whenever I was at home. I used to keep myself engaged to the brim so as keep away the thoughts away from my head.

Next day when I went to college, I found colours on every ones face and hand. Everyone asked me as what kept me away from the festival of colours. How could I tell them that all the colours from my life were gone?

After the college was over I was about to walk out of the class.

Debobroto came to me and asked---“From the very first day I noticed that you are not like any other girls. Several times I thought to ask you as what has happened but very aptly you dodged my queries.”

I nodded my head and smiled at him---“Nothing happened. I have got allergy to the colours. Rashes develop on my skin so I don’t play Holi.”

---“I am not asking about Holi. But after that day, you took away the letter you went in confinement.”

“I am trying to take myself out from that confinement Debobroto.” I said to him. “My beloved sister-in-law passed away and that shook me from my core.”

He smiled mischievously at me; his right hand was behind---“May I help you to pull out of your confinement?”

Then all of a sudden, he poured a handful of coloured powder on my face.