Romance Forbidden Love by Pinuram

Chapter 8: Midnight Confession

-------------------------------------

I walked on the crowded street, alone, confused. My eyes soaked with tears, feeling heavy hearted and lost in the crowd.

What have I done, where should I go, and to whom should I seek the solitude? I looked at my watch; it was already eight thirty at night. I did not want to go back home after all these heavy storms. I didn’t have the courage to face Debanjana or Suchismita. I lost my faith on myself. Paree will never forgive me for my actions. My legs were shaking; frequently I was wiping my eyes and nose.

I called at my house somehow and told my mom that I won’t be coming that night and I would be staying at Debashish’s house. I very well knew that mom doesn’t have the telephone number of Debashish so she would be unable to confirm whether I was at his house or not.

I took a bus and went to Esplanade and sat under the Monument. The dark night was growing around me, so were the bright lights of Esplanade. The life around me was vibrant; I looked around me, all sorts of people of all ages, cast and creed. They all look happier than me. Some might be hiding their pain like me under their smiley face. I didn’t have the time to think of others, I was thinking as what type of lecherous person I was? I had no one to share my regrets.

I puffed a cigarette again and sipped a cup of tea from dingy road side tea stall. From the tram stand, I walked slowly towards the bus-stand on the other side of the road. While crossing the road, I saw a very dirty looking person squatting on the footpath, with torn clothes and disheveled hairs. He was a beggar or a mad person. I felt deep inside me that this person must have lost something valuable in his past that has turned him to be like this. I felt that I was seeing my future in-front of my eyes. I stood at a distance from that beggar and looked at him. That person was also looking at me. After sometime the beggar outstretched his right arm and asked for alms.

---“In the name of God, please give something to feed the old person. (Allah! Ke naam pe, iss budee baba ko kuch de do.)”

I walked slowly towards him and took out a ten rupees note from my pocket and handed that note to him.

He looked at the note and then looked at my face and said to me something. This time he did not sounded that he was insane.

---

“Tu Badr Nehin Jo Shams Se Roshan Ho (You are not the moon, who shines in sunlight)

Tu Badr Nehin Jo Shams Se Roshan Ho (You are not the moon, who shines in sunlight)

Tu Unn Sitaron Mein Hain (You are one bright star)

Jo Bhatkye Rooh Ko Raah Dikhayee (Who shows path to disgruntled persons)

Rehnuma Baan Aur Aapne Qualb Ki Pukaar Sun (Be a guide and hear to the call of your heart)”

---

I understood as what he said. I bowed to him for his words.

I should not act like a looser, my heart, my EVE has called me from the ceiling which restrained me to delve in to the dark passageways of those venomous sirens. I should open my heart now before the wound gets septic and rots my mind and soul.

I called from the nearby PCO to Kalyani’s house. It was nine o’clock in the night.

---“Hello, I am Abhimanyu. Remember me?”

She was surprised to receive my call and also in the dead night, village people tend to sleep early.

---“Yes, I remember you very well and how can I forget you. You are still fresh as Suchismita is all praises about you.”

After a bit pause ---“But in this late night. Why have you called?”

I pleaded her --- “I need to talk to Paree, now. But not on phone.”

---“Then?”

---“You have to call her to your house and make some excuse to Grand Aunt.”

I heard her smile naughtily --- “Why, can’t you wait for the Basanti Puja to meet yours …. Hmmmm…. Naughty boy…”

My voice turned deep and choked ---“I have no intention for that, Kalyani. Please. Call her.”

She probably sensed my choking --- “Where are you now?”

---“I am at Kolkata Bus Stand and I am coming, probably in the last bus.”

---“Ok, I will do that. Have a safe journey. I will send Dipankar to pick you up from the bus stand.”

---“Thank you very much. Bye. See you.”

I ran to the CSTC bust stand and asked for the last bus that would depart for Baduria. The conductor told me that the bus was going to leave by nine thirty and I had ten minutes more to take the seat. This would be the last bus for that day.

The bus raced to the destination cutting through the dark lonely highway. Whole the time of the journey, my heart was beating faster with each passing kilometer. My ear drums were turning red with the unknown fear as how she will react after hearing all these.

I reached my destination at about forty-five minutes past eleven. Dipankar was waiting for me at the bus stand with two bi-cycles.

He was curious to know as what happened --- “What happened, why you have called Suchismita at this point of time?”

I kept quiet and said --- “I have some problem and I had to discuss with Paree and that was very urgent for me.”

We reached Dipankar’s house, Paree and Kalyani, both were waiting anxiously at the gate.

Paree came running towards me as soon as she saw me.

In the low light of the verandah I saw her eyes were big, full of anxiety and bit haze in some unknown anticipation.

She clutched my collar and looked at my face with partially deluged eyes --- “What happened to ChotoMa?”

I looked deeply into her eyes and murmured in my head “WHO ARE YOU?”

I mumbled a bit --- “Your ChotoMa and Babu, both are fine alright.”

A heavy breath exhaled from her chest after hearing that her ChotoMa and Babu were fine.

---“Then what happened to you? Have you fought with Debanjana or done something to her?”

I nodded my head sideways and meant that Debi was also fine.

Now she smiled at me --- “Don’t say you have killed someone or done robbery?”

She patted my cheeks and brought her face close to my ears, she observed that my eyes were hazy and my lips shaking. She still could not fathom the writhing pain in my heart.

She whispered ---“You missed me and that why you came here. Right?”

I took a deep breath and in a choking voice ---“I want to talk to you alone. Please.”

Upon hearing my choked voice, Paree sensed that the matter was not as small as she was thinking; a cyclone was devastating me within.

She looked at Kalyani, both Dipankar and Kalyani were looking at us. Kalyani said that we can go to their bedroom and spend the night and no one will disturb us. They will spend the night in some other room.

Paree tugged me into the room, I asked her to latch the door from inside.

She looked queerly at me and latched the door.

Paree stood in front of me with her arms crossed across her chest, her eyebrows squint, her eyes trying to fathom as what has happened.

I threw my college bag on the bed and then kneeled down in-front of her with my head down and my arms resting on my knees.

In a choked groaning voice --- “I have sinned Paree.”

She yelled out in utter disbelief --- “WHAT?”

She groped the back of my head and clutched my hairs and pulled my face to look into my eyes.

---“What did you say?”

Big drops of tears rolled down my cheeks.

I mumbled ---“Arunima ……”

She could not believe her ears as what she heard; she eased her grip from my head and touched my chin with her fingers --- “What Arunima? What have you done with her?”

---“There was Maithili also …..”

She screamed in a deep tone and sat on the bed with a thud.

---“NO, Don’t tell me …… I can’t believe my ears.”

There was painstaking silence in the room. She was not sobbing but her eyes were deluged with anger and vengeful tears. Her ears and cheeks turned red and not due to blushes but due to rage.

---“What did you do with them?”

---“I didn’t do anything….”

She yelled at me ---“DON’T LIE… What you did with them? If you had done nothing then why have you come here in this dead night?”

She paused a little and continued in a choking voice --- “Why do I have to lose everything I love in every corner of my life? I lost my dad when I was one and half years. My sisters cursed me. My mom didn’t take care of me then. ChotoMa fed me her milk to raise me up but she was also taken away from my life. You came to my life after twenty-four years, filled the lonely heart with colours. Your birthday is just next week, I dreamt to give surprise you. Have my love lost its sheen? Not even for a single moment you thought about me?”

I could not say anything. I had no answer to her questions. It was I who took the steps towards the Medusa’s dark lair even after Debi warned me. The silence was killing both of us

In a shaky voice I asked her --- “Don’t you have faith in me?”

She said to me looking deep into my eyes ---“I have faith in you but Maithili is my sister-in-law.” There was confusion in her voice.

She came down from the bed and sat in front of me, kneeling in front of me.

She took my face between her palms---“My faith didn’t grow with time. I felt it deep in my heart on the first night we met, in the courtyard, during Subroto Da’s wedding. I don’t know how that came, but it just flooded my heart and all over me.”

I pointed to my college bag and said to her ---“There is a mini cassette recorder in my bag. Please play that, everything will be clear to you.”

Paree switched on the walkman, played the cassette again and again and again, listening to each and every sentence in utter confusion. She slapped her forehead and looked at me nodding her head sideways ---“I can’t believe my ears. What is this?”

---“This is the truth.”

We remained silent for a quiet long time, all the time Paree was nodding her head in utter dilemma.

---“How can Maithili do this with me? How can she do this with you even after being married? This is totally unbelievable.”

I smiled faintly at her, looking into her deluged disbelief gaze ---“She doesn’t know that my heart throbs only for you.”

At last Paree smiled sweetly at me ---“You are total insane and fool, but a very loving wise fool.”

And then suddenly she slapped softly on my cheek.

I screamed --- “Ouch!!!! Why you hit me now?” and took her palms into mine.

---“This was for the steps that you took towards the dungeon.”

She again freed her hand from my clutch and next slap was hard on my cheek. I looked queerly at her face.

She smiled in a bit veiled anger ---“Why you brought Debanjana’s name in this? You could have named anyone.”

I scratched my head and looked down ---“That just floated in my head at that time.”

She took my face between her palms and kissed my forehead --- “This is for the faith and love that has brought you back to me.”

I wrapped my arms around her waist and hid my face on her bosom and started to sob.

I was basking in her warm hug that she has at last forgiven me. After few minutes she asked me---“You have not eaten anything since evening, you must be hungry.”

I looked up to her face --- “Who are you? Why do you love me so much?”

She took off my glasses and wiped the wet trail from the corner of my eyes ---“You are my baby prince. Let me get some food for you.”

“No I don’t want to take food now, just be with me” I hugged her deeply, rubbing my nose on her upper chest and neck. She gently caressed my back with her right hand and combed my hairs with other, same way a mother hugs her baby while she consoles her.

“If you don’t eat then I will thrash you black and blue. Give me Debi’s telephone number.” Saying so she freed herself from my deep embrace.

I asked her ---“Why?”

---“You are asking me why? Don’t you know what have you done? I have to call her and tell her what you did.”

I pleaded her ---“Please no, please don’t tell. She will definitely kill me.”

---“You are like that. She is the only person who can bring you in right path. Not I.”

Paree walked towards the door to unbolt the latch and walked out to bring some food for me.

It was about two o’clock in the night, after quiet sometime Paree entered the room with a plate in her hand and Kalyani behind her.

I was still on the floor, kneeled. On seeing Kalyani I bowed down my head “Now, I have fallen from the grace.”

Kalyani looked at me and laughed --- “What a person you are….”

Paree sat on the floor beside me. On the plate there was rice and dal (pulses) and some potato and brinjal curry. She mashed everything and started feeding me like a child.

Kalyani smiled at both of us ---“Suchismita, you pamper him like a baby.”

---“He is my baby prince and he pamper me like his doll.”

She finished feeding me and wiped my face with the corner of her saree.

Kalyani asked ---“What actually has happened?”

Paree asked me to go to bed and asked Kalyani to leave the room.

---“You don’t need to hear everything. Whatever you have heard is enough for you. Please don’t get me in wrong sense but I don’t want to humiliate him anymore. He is already very shaken and perturbed. Please let him take rest now.”

She smiled at both of us ---“Ok I leave you both. Don’t get naughty after all your crying and comfort.”

Paree pushed Kalyani out of the room and told her to wake us up at five-thirty in the morning. The first bus leaves the village at six and I should be on that bus before anyone of her house notices us together. Kalyani complied with her request and said that she will send her husband with me to the bus stand in the morning.

She switched on the night lamp and put off the tube and lied beside me. She faced towards me and took my head in her arms and hugged me deeply pulling my face over her bosom. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her cuddled her in a deep embrace.

She whispered in my ears ---“Tell me everything as what happened.”

I pushed my face up looked into her loving dark eyes; her forehead was touching my forehead.

I started my tale as how I was captivated by the venomous siren’s music. How I danced to the tunes of the Tuli. How I was enchanted in the captivating beauty of the siren and how I managed to slit the throat of Medusa and came out alive of the dark lair.

All the time Paree listened to my tale in intent curiosity and nodded her head in confusion.

At last there was a long silence between us. I hugged her very tightly in my arms to drown myself in her loving warmth.

Paree brought her nose over mine and rubbed my tip with hers and whispered ---“Abhimanyu of Mahabharata was truly brave and courageous as you are. He lost the battle because he didn’t have his Suchismita beside him. My prince has his Paree by his side, forever.”

Paree closed her eyes and took my lips in her. We locked ourselves in a deep kiss and soaking ourselves in loving warmth of our love, we spent the rest of the night just by looking into each other eyes and saying nothing.

East horizon was showing signs of faint twilight. Birds were chirping outside. A new dawn was approaching in our life, leaving a dark night behind. Somewhere some baul beggar was singing a morning raga. Faintly the music filled our room….

“Rai Jago Rai Jago …

Sukho Sari Bolee …

Rai Jago Rai Jago …

Sukho Sari Bolee …

Koto Nidraa Jaoo Go Radhyee

Shyam Nagorer Kolee …”

******** END OF PART 3 *******

Part 4 : Days under Sun, Night under Stars

Chapter 1: My EVE step in my domain

-------------------------------------------

End of first week of April. Autumn breeze were flowing around. It was Dashami, of Basanti Puja. Mom was very happy since last few days. Dad was also happy. I suppressed all my commotions happening inside me, under a hard rock. Paree was finally going to step into my domain.

Last week, it was my birthday. I turned twenty three. I expected my birthday full of surprise but the surprise came in other way round as there was no surprise. Debi called at midnight to wish my birthday. Paree called at noon to wish me. Nothing much happened as I expected to happen.

College days have ended, whole of April was for the study period. From second week of May, the final exams were to get started. Debi ad Sharmi came to my house for studying. The closeness between me and Debi was mistaken by our parents. They had an impression that we were something more than friends and they were not opposed to that since our dads were colleagues. We were also very much enjoying their confusions and making merry of that. Debi with Arindam and myself with my love.

Before leaving, mom told me that Paree would be coming along with her so I should be at home and not go out with Debi and Sharmi after our study. After my mom left house, we all three laughed our hearts out.

Debi winked at me --- “So after a long time, kutaa (dog) is going to meet kutti (bitch).”

Debi called Paree as Suchi Di. The reason, Suchismita was four years senior than Debi. She first told me that how come she has to call my girlfriend as Didi. I told her that whatever she wants to address her she will be fine with that. But she insisted to respect her so she used to call her Suchi Di.

---“What are you going to do tonight?”

---“Nothing yaar, at least under one roof it is not possible to get cozy. That’s the main problem.”

“Yes that’s true” she smiled at me “also we don’t want our parents to get confused at this point of time.”

Sarmishta was as usual quiet and calm listening to our conversation and smiling, she does not talk much.

---“How is your nose now?”

After a long time she spoke of something --- “It is ok, but sometime there is pain on my forehead.”

Debi slapped on the back of her head and said ---“Until she does not mix up with friends she will have problems in her head.”

Sharmi was serious now --- “Will you two study something or I should go home.”

Debi squint her squint eyes ---“Aree baba, just joking. See Suchi di is going to come today and he is all excited.”

I asked Debi to stay that day and to meet Paree. But Debi told me that she doesn’t want to meet Paree at house, she wants to meet her somewhere outside.

We didn’t study actually we spend our time in gossiping and discussing many things other than physics.

The time arrived, I was watching TV in the drawing room, actually not watching but anxiously waiting for Paree.

The door bell ranged, I ran downstairs to open the door and found that Paree and Mom has arrived.

Paree gently beamed a courteous smile at me in front of mom and asked me --- “How you are and how are your studies going on?”

I smiled back at her and nodded my head that all was going fine and in my mind I was saying “Baby I was waiting for your arrival anxiously.” I looked at her as she climbed the stairs behind mom.

Paree was wearing her as usual favourite dress, saree. She was in a beautiful light blue coloured chiffon saree, wrapped around her beautiful frame. Her blouse was also of matching colour. Whole saree was embroidered with silvery and white colour threads. The glow of her skin was brighter than the lamp light of the staircase. The blouse of short sleeved revealed her full arms. I was about to touch her hand from behind, she sensed that as she was looking at me over her shoulders and smiling naughtily at me with her squint eyes. A dozens of white and light blue and turquoise coloured bangles adorned her milky white thin wrist. The jingle sounds were making my heart to leap as she walked up. With each step she took forward, her creamy white ankles were exposed to my view. To my most amazement I observed that she had a thin silver anklet which was jingling more than that of her bangles. The tinker sounds made me mad, as when I would be able to kiss those ankles and milky white calves again. She was wearing the same heavy gold necklace that her ChotoMa presented to her. Her earlobes were adorned with long dangling earrings, which swayed with each glance she had over her shoulders towards me. I was getting ecstatic with all her sensuous beauty.

I felt that she might not have dressed so beautifully before. I was totally bewitched by her charms. Her eyes were glistening with smile. Her sumptuous bottoms covered under the folds of saree, swayed beautifully in-front of my eyes. I felt to caress those soft mounds then and there. Just before entering the drawing room, she sensed my eyes were drinking her elegant charms like a skylark. She smiled with her squint eyes and bit her lower lips, all those actions happened behind mom.

I carried her luggage to her room. She came inside the room behind me and looked at me. Upon entering the room she looked at me with her ever smiling sweet eyes and outstretched her arms. I was about to prowl upon her and hug her deeply in my arms just then mom called up --- “Abhi, can you go to market to bring some milk. Paree has to drink after dinner.”

I looked at her, “What a bad timing” she smiled at me and nodded her head.

I came near her and teased her by saying that ---“Why do we want milk when you have …..?”

She blushed red, her cheeks turned crimson. I love the sight whenever she blushes. She slapped on my arm playfully ---“Just don’t be naughty now. Obey ChotoMa’s order or I will scream that you are teasing me.”

In a teasing voice --- “What are you going to tell her?”

She got furious now ---“Just go away, I need to change and fresh up myself.”

---“Getting ready for me, honey?”

She screamed out --- “ChotoMa, see Abhi is not going to market.” She grinned at me as if saying “Tit for tat”

Mom yelled at me ---“What are you doing? Leave her alone and go to market.”

I walked out; I was in the seventh heaven floating on the clouds.

I came home running from the market. Paree has changed her dress already. She wore a new sleeveless chiffon night gown which mom bought for her. It was baby pink in colour, beautifully matching with her creamy glowing skin. She was looking very fresh and washing herself. I looked at her while she was working in the kitchen along with mom preparing tea. I drank her beauty while standing at the door of the kitchen. The night gown was not a body hugging one but her curves and contours was partially veiled. Her soft bulges of bosoms and her curves of waist and wide hip was visible. She still had her earrings attached to her cream earlobes. She looked at me over her shoulder as if asking me as what I was looking at. I blushed as I got caught ogling at her sensuous beauty.

Mom looked at me ---“Why don’t you go to your room and study? Your exams are just round the corner. Paree will serve you the tea. If you have to chat you can do at dinner table.”

I was bit disheartened on hearing my mom’s order. Paree looked at my face and felt that pain.

She said ---“You go to your room I am just coming with your tea.”

I was adamant that I want tea before I go to my room.

Mom asked me to wait in the drawing room. I was unable to concentrate running TV anxiously waiting for the tea to arrive, carried by my heartthrob.

Paree entered with my tea and kept on the centre table in front of me. As she bent forward to keep the cup on the centre table, I looked at the bulge of her upper chest over the deep gorgeous cleavage and then looked at her face. She sensed as what I was looking and nodded her head in distrust.

I took a sip and screamed at her --- “There is no sugar in the tea. It is not sweet.”

Mom told me from the kitchen that she has added sugar to the tea.

Paree looked at me --- “Don’t try to be smart, I myself have added sugar to your tea.”

“Why don’t you take a sip to taste this” I forwarded the cup to her. She understood me as what I did mean to say and nodded her head with all her naughty smile smeared on her sweet thin lips.

She sipped the tea and gave back the cup to me --- “Now it is sweet. Just go to your room and study now.”

There was a naughty twinkle in her eyes as she went away leaving me enchanted in that room.

I was not able to concentrate on my book and whole two hours I was just lost in the thought of Paree, walking just below the floor. Her locks, dancing and caressing her rosy cheek instead of my fingers. I was unable to kiss those sweet lips and drink the nectar to my heart’s content. I felt a warm gush running all over my body just by the mere thought that Paree was so near to me but I was unable to hold her in my arms and smell her sweet nauseous fragrance from her long black hairs and her serpentine frame.

The dinner was a quiet one, none of us talked much as my parents were present. We both were suppressing our mutual attraction, buried deep in some remote corner of our heart. I could fathom the strong beckon whenever she looked at me while passing the food at the dining table.

We both knew that we have to act and take our steps very cautiously so as not to raise a single eyebrow towards us. We both knew that my parents were basking in the thought that I was having a relation with Debi. We both knew that we had to shield ourselves behind that confusion before our truth finally reveals and that also at a proper time.

After dinner I retired to my room in second floor. I changed to shorts and nothing else as it was April and the summer was nearing in Kolkata. I had to study and finish some more chapters of optics before I go to sleep. I was not much able to concentrate in my studies but I had to. Gradually I was feeling heavy headed as the hours passed. It was dark outside. One by one the lights of the nearby houses were getting switched off. It was about thirty minutes past twelve. The crescent of the moon was shining under the dark black sky, the twinkles of the stars seemed as my Paree was smiling at me from the sky. I looked to the crescent imagining the face of Paree and lost myself in her thought. I also switched off the tube light and put on the reading lamp. The whole room glowed in soft yellow light, giving a dreamy ambience to my thoughts.

My chains of thoughts were sweetly broken when I felt two soft arms around my neck coming from behind and rested over my bare chest. Her soft thin fingers, danced on my chest sending sweet sensation all over. My nostrils and brain got filled up with sweet fragrance of jasmine. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes to devour all the sweet pleasure of her feathery touch on my skin. She rubbed her cheeks on my head over my disheveled hairs. Her cheeks felt like butter melting down on my head. Her warm soft bosoms pressed softly on my nape. Bare warm skin of her chest and soft bulge felt awesome on my nape. Each and every vein under my skin was pumping blood all over my body like a fire engine trying to douse the ignition. I could feel her bosoms having goose bumps all over her chest as my nape pressing on her bare upper bust. She felt the warmth of my skin on hers. I took her hand in mine and gently pressed her palms in my grip. We both soaked ourselves in the halo of sweet love, enjoying the sweet warmth of our gentle hug. We remained in our sweet embrace for quite some time. Silence can be sweet sometime.

She whimpered out---“I missed you a lot.”

I slowly turned towards her on my swivel chair, parted my legs and put my arms around her narrow round waist. Her arms came up around my shoulders, left arm around my neck and right one clutch my hairs and pulled my face near her soft bosom. I pulled her more on me; her soft round tummy flattened on my chest and pressed my chin between her warm sumptuous bosoms. I looked up into her deep inviting eyes, hugged her with all my strength and crushed her waist and rubbed her curvaceous back. The lone strand of lock swayed over her right cheek, two small dimples on her cheek made the smile beautiful. Her long hairs were untied and caressed on the back of my palm and was all over her back. Her lips were half opened and her line of pearls played hide and seek behind those rosy lips. I could feel her warm breath flowing all over my face. Her soft tummy was moving timidly on my chest sending soft spasms on my body.

I whispered ---“You will make me mad, every time you hug me like this.”

She cooed down --- “Ratan Ee Ratan Chene, Suoree Chene Kachu (A jeweler only knows the true value of a stone and a swine knows about boris).” And laughed at me.

---“So you mean that I am a jeweler”

---“No, you are my sweet little piglet.”

---“And that makes you soft and tender as Boris.”

We both laughed on that joke.

She looked at my glasses and asked ---“What happened to your glasses? This is a new one I see.”

I rubbed my chin on her cleavage, friction ignited warmth on her soft skin.

---“It was due to you, I had to change my glasses.”

---“Why? What have I done?”

---“You called Debi that night, remember and next day I had my old specs on the floor.”

She got anxious to know as what happened that day in college and how I had my new glasses.

---“What happened that day?”

---“That’s a long story.”

---“I want to hear that.”

---“Ok, as I arrived that day to college, Debi was all quiet. She did not spoke a single word with me till last period. I was bit disheartened by her nature. From last few days she was not talking to me properly.

So I asked Sarmishta as what has happened to Debi as why she was not talking to me. Sharmi nodded her head and said to me that she doesn’t know as what has happened.

The last period was over.

Sharmi asked me to be seated. Debi was looking at me with fire in her eyes. All the students left the class and we were only three persons left in the class.

Debi looked at me and stood up and walked towards me. She asked Sarmishta to latch the door from inside. Sharmi looked queerly at Debi, she shouted to her to latch the door.

She was standing like an angry wounded lioness looking at her timid prey. Without saying any word she pasted a hard slap on my right cheek. My spectacles flew from my nose and hit the wall and broke into pieces. My cheek was burning; I rubbed my cheek in utter disbelief that she could slap me like that.

Then her lips quivered, eyes glistened a bit and screamed at me “How can you break your promise that you made for Suchi Di. You rascal; bloody swine; dark devil with lewd mind set. I protected you from that bitch (Anusuya) hovering around you for two years and you fall for other two bitch. Do you have a heart thumping inside your chest or you just want to bed with any bitch you like? All males have their brains in their loins, I thought you are different but at last you also proved me wrong.”

Sharmi was dumbfounded by hearing all those words. I had no words or excuse to say anything.

She continued in her deep voice “You never thought of Suchi Di, what she would feel if her heart breaks.”

I was looking to the ground and pleading to Mother Earth to open up so that SHE can pull me inside her lap forever. My eyes were already deluged, the corner of my eyes got flooded.

Debi then put her fingers under my chin and pushed my face up. Her anger has subsided a bit. I could not look into her eyes. She asked me to look at her.

“You are a devil all over but a faithful devil at last. That’s the reason I can’t get angry upon you now. Come with me, your glass has broken. Let that get mended from Lalbazar. I know that you don’t have any money also, most of your pocket money you have already spend on those bitches.”

I had to obey her, and thus how I got my new glasses.”

Paree gobbled the whole matter with big eyes. A deep breath exhaled out of my chest. We both kept quiet for some time.

After some time she said --- “I want to meet Debanjana. How and when can I meet her?”

I said to her “Debi was at my house all the day but she said that she would like to meet you somewhere outside to make the congregate a memorable one.”

She nodded her head, her gold ear rings twinkled in the low yellow light of the reading lamp.

---“What is she planning?”

“I don’t know baby” I rubbed my face on her supple bosom.

I squeezed my lips to form a small “O” and blew cold air on narrow fissure between her supple bosoms. The cold sensation made her shiver in my tight embrace. Paree stooped down and touched my forehead with hers and cooed --- “Are you going to keep me standing whole night?”

I whispered --- “No honey, how can I keep you standing all night? Sit down wherever you want to.”

---“But if you don’t loosen your embrace then how come I sit on the bed and talk to you?”

---“Why do you want to sit on the bed, just sit on my lap”

“And if I sit on your lap then what will happen to me?” There was a teasing smile on her lips.

---“What will happen, nothing will happen. Simple.”

---“Do you want me to believe you?”

---“If you don’t believe then I can’t do anything.”

I loosened my arms around her fluid torso. She moved a little and then sat across my lap with her legs across my right and her back on my left. I put my left arm behind her back to support her weight and put my right one on her narrow waist. Her supple orbital soft bottoms nested over my bare thighs sending sweet warm sensation all over. She put her right arm around my neck and her left one on my right shoulder to sit comfortably on my thighs. My left hand fingers were touching the bulge of soft right bosom, kneading that soft mound with my finger tips. She looked deep into my eyes; her nose tip was already red.

I brought my lips near hers sweet red lips, she closed her eyes and opened those two rosy petals partially seeking for a deep kiss from me. I gently took her upper lip between mine and sucked gently at first.

Her lips sucked my lower one gently. With my right arm I pulled her waist more into me, her bosoms rubbed gently on my bare chest. Sparks of passion flew all over. Her left grip on my right shoulder turned hard. Her left hand pulled my face more on her lips and she turned her face sideways to cross her mouth over my face. Slowly she sucked the air out of my mouth, my tongue went dry at first and to compensate that dryness I sneaked out my tongue to rub the tip on her upper teeth line. She froze in my arms and the kiss lingered for some time. My breaths grew deeper, she pushed my tongue out of her honey soaked mouth with her tongue and the tip of her tongue touched the upper part of my mouth. I grabbed her waist and pasted her upper torso on my chest. Her warm bosoms melted like fresh cheese on my muscular chest. Soft plump buttery mounds got flattened as she pushed her bust more over mine. With the flat of my right palm I touched the upper portion of her tummy just beneath the region of her bust. She sensed my finger approaching her peaks of sensuality. She dug her finger nails of her left hand on my right shoulder. A sweet pain aroused as the skin got scratched. Our lips then moved frantically over each other trying to win the battle as who kisses the best and play with lips better than the other. Neither Paree was looking forward to break the blissful passionate kiss nor was I willing to let her lips get free.

Finally after a long time she opened her eyes and slowly freed her lips from the clutch of mine. Both of us were panting heavily like the woven of blacksmith. My ears and head was hot as amber. Her face and cheeks were burning with desire. She looked into my eyes with her partially opened eyes.

I somehow tried to catch my breath and whisper out ---“I missed you a lot, Paree.”

---“Me too.”

---“Can you feel the fire burning deep inside me?”

She nodded her head lightly to say that she could feel my burning fire sending hot sparks all over her bottoms.

I brought my right arm under her knees and pulled her on my lap and stood from the chair. She hid her face on the lap of my left shoulder, as I carried her to the bed and gently placed her on the mattress. Her fingers lingered on my chest and shoulder as her embrace loosened around my upper torso. None of us were saying anything to each other. There was a telepathic conversation going on between two lovelorn birds caught in a passionate storm.

I placed both my hand on either side of her body and stooped down over her face to plant another smooch on her amorous pouting lips. This time she teased me and rolled over to the other side of the bed and lied on her tummy and hugged the pillow to her bosom. Hundreds of strands of hairs covered her beautiful face partially. She teased me with a naughty smile.

---“I knew that you would be doing this to me.” Paree was breathing heavily.

Her broad shoulder tapered down to her narrow waist to form a sine curve and then widening to her hip and then her round fleshy bottoms curved out. A perfect sine curve cut out of the oscilloscope of electronics practical class.

I got up on the bed and crawled to her on my fours. She stretched out her left hand and pushed my face. All her fingers covered my whole face and I licked her palm.

She moaned out ---“Abhi, please don’t ignite the fire more into my heart.”

I whimpered ---“Why? I was bereft of your touch for three long months. The dams within me are bursting out.”

---“I sensed that honey. But ….”

---“What but, Paree? You kept me waiting for three long months and now we meet and you are teasing me.”

“You have to wait more. I don’t want to divert your attention from your studies” she sounded bit different this time.

I tried to press my face on her back, on her spine. She playfully rolled over again and got down from the bed. I fell on the bed on my stomach with a thud. Paree giggled at me leaving me high and dry. She came near the side of the bed and wagged her index and middle finger in front of my nose and said in a teasing voice ---“You can’t touch me honey, till your exams are over. All your dreams will be fulfilled only after then.”

---“Saint Vishwamitra’s meditation was broken by Menaka, then how come I can concentrate on my studies.”

She rubbed her nose over mine and said ---“Mother Earth will win now against Menaka.” Sweetly kissed my cheeks and went away leaving me in a beautiful trance.

Chapter 2: Celeste and Angel convene

---------------------------------------------

Paree stepped in to my domain and devastated me with her charms and sweet nature; I was having sleepless night unable to concentrate on my studies. She continued with her mockery, unwilling to douse the fire burning inside me. Seldom I got few pecks and kiss on my cheeks and ruffles of her soft thin fingers on my head and nothing more. She was adamant on her words, that the dreams of mine will only get fulfilled after my exams are over.

Two days passed, Debi called one fine morning. I was reading newspaper in the drawing room. Mom was getting ready for her school. Paree answered the phone. Whatever they spoke, I could hear only giggles and petty words and nothing else. Mom looked at Paree and bid her goodbye.

I was about to go to my room for studies. Paree entered the drawing room; she has already taken her bath as usual and has offered Puja also. I looked at her divine face. Few beads of water, dropped from her wet strand of lock, swaying on her right cheek created a halo of purity all round her sweet smiling face. She wore a light yellow coloured cotton saree with wide red border. There were small flowers all over the yellow saree. The way she wore the saree was of typical old Bengali style, covering all her hidden beauty in whole. No one could imagine what lies beneath those folds of saree. Her blouse was of matching red colour, half sleeved. She stood at the door way, partially behind the curtain and looked lovingly at me. Her creamy white skin glowing in the morning sun rays. She had her wet locks tied in a loose bun dangling softly on her nape. Her earlobes were adorned with gold earrings studded with small ruby. Her lips were pink and shining. On both wrists she was wearing few thin gold bangles. She I asked her as why she was smiling like that to me.

---“Debanjana called just now.”

---“I know, they way you were speaking on the phone I easily understood that on the other end it was her.”

---“She wants to meet with us today.”

---“Where?”

---“She only told me to bring you at Nagerbazar. Then she will take us somewhere.”

---“Let me call her and ask where she is going to meet.”

---“No, you will not call her. She told me to ask you to take me with you to the designated place she has said.”

---“Has she told you where she is going to take us?”

Paree giggled at me ---“Don’t you have faith on such a beautiful friend of yours?” Two rows of white pearls shined in the soft morning sunrays, peeked behind her partially rosy lips. She was talking to me, all the time standing at the door partially behind the curtain.

I asked her ---“Why are you not coming out behind the curtain?”

“Who knows about your evil intention?” She smiled naughtily at me. “If you prowl upon me in this beautiful morning, then?”

I slapped my forehead ---“You naughty girl.” And stood from the couch to really prowl on my beauty.

She ran to her room and closed the door partially and peeked from the slit of the door.

---“You go and take your bath and dress up. She told me that she would be waiting for us by ten o’clock.”

I asked her as what was she going to wear. She said as usual she will wear saree.

I took bath and changed my dress to a pair of white trousers and a long cream coloured Punjabi so as to match with my EVE’s dressing sense as she was going to wear saree. On beholding her dressing sense, no one would be able to tell that she was from a tiny town away from Kolkata.

Paree wore a cream coloured cotton saree with dark green border. Very tiny flowers were all over the upper end of the saree that draped from her waist to her shoulder, covering her belly and bosoms. Short sleeved dark green blouse, same colour as the border of the saree. There was no makeup on her face, only a lip-gloss one her lips to keep the natural pinkish tint on her lips. A small green dot graced her forehead between those pair of whip like dark eyebrows. She put a faint kajal under her eyes to beautify her dark big eyes more. A very thin gold chain bedecked her creamy white slender neck and a small rhombus shaped gold pendant graced below the curve of her neck at the centre of her upper chest. The thin strand of lock that used to caress her right cheek was tucked behind her right ear. Her long black hairs, tied in a soft casual bun dangling just below her nape. Two gold earrings of few centimeters in length glamorized her earlobes. There was a tint of pink blush on her cheeks. Few thin gold bangles braced her thin right wrist and a golden titan wrist watch on her left one. She looked like a pure gold effigy of Lakshmi. I looked at my Paree with adorable eyes. I was literally speechless.

This beauty didn’t smite me with sensuousness but filled my heart with divinity. I came near to her and held her face between my palms and looked into her eyes with pure esteem and gently kissed her forehead.

She spoke softly ---“Shall we go now?”

I bowed and stretched my right hand to show her the way ---“Always after you, dear.”

We boarded a taxi to reach the designated place as Debi told us to, Nagerbazar. At the bus stand another divine surprise was waiting for me.

For the first time in two years I saw Debi in a saree. Her small frame very neatly covered under the folds of a light green cotton saree with dark green border. A pair of gold rimmed glass on her small nose. She usually doesn’t wear makeup so that day was nothing unusual, only special was she was in a saree. I looked at Paree as she looked at Debi. Sharmi as usual was in a casual salwar. Debi’s face was beaming with a smile and she ran towards Paree upon seeing her from a distance. Even if they had not met each other, both the ladies sensed their bond.

I stood few paces behind as Paree took Debi in her embrace and kissed her forehead as if she was her elder sister meeting after a long, long time. I looked two beautiful ladies, one my soul and the other my eye. I took a deep breath and looked at Sharmi and asked her that where we are going. She pointed to Debi and told me ask her.

Debi danced her eyebrows ---“I am really jealous of you. If I was born as a boy I would have courted Suchi Di.”

It was time for Paree to blush now. I enjoyed her sweet blush as Paree slapped softly on Debi’s cheek.

I asked Debi as where we were going. Her answer was unprecedented.

---“We are going to Dakhinehwar Kali Temple.”

“No way….” I yelled out.

“If you don’t want to go then you can stay at your home, but we ladies are going” she looked at Paree and tugged her hand and started walking.

Sharmi was always smiling at me. I just nodded my head as I walked with Sharmi behind those two ladies.

We took a taxi to go to Dakhinehwar from Nagerbazar. I was pushed to the front seat and the ladies took the back one. Debi was sitting in the middle of Paree and Sarmishta.

Both, Debi and Paree got very friendlier with each passing minute. Sarmishta as usual timid person, talks less but that day I found her to be actively participating in their conversation.

Debi asked Paree --- “How the hell you fell for this rascal?”

Paree smiled at me as our eyes met through the reflection of the rearview mirror.

---“It just happened inside me, when we met actually. I just felt that I was born only for him.”

I folded my arms and rested those over my head and bend my neck back to rest my head on the back rest of my seat. A soft slap landed on the back of my head.

Debi giggled ---“So romantic. He has the courage to take you under his wings and enjoy a vacation in the remote hills. No one can even think of such trip in such a place. Most of the people have not even heard of that place. How come you went with this idiot?”

Paree just smiled at her and said ---“Doesn’t Arindam takes you out anywhere?”

---“Arindam is bit timid in nature not so bold and outrageous like Abhimanyu. He is dumb head so he jumps in any situation to fight for. How do you handle him?”

Paree said nothing just smiled sweetly at Debi.

Debi continued ---“He came to college with a stone cold attitude. We all felt him as an alien and snobbish person. The day he saved my sister, the day real Bihari came out.”

Paree smiled at her ---“Why you are all praises for that idiot? Why don’t you tell about Arindam?”

They talked and talked and talked.

The time we reached temple premises it was thirty minutes past noon. The temple premises was not so crowded being a weekday. So it was not so much of congestions to get near the deity and offer puja.

I looked from behind as the three ladies engrossed in their puja.

I smiled in my mind that what a friend and a love I have got.

After they offered their puja; both the ladies again engrossed in their talks.

I walked with Sharmi little behind them. I asked her about her pain in her nose.

She said looking at me --- “It pains some times. My head becomes heavy. At time I feel that the pain will kill me.”

I looked at her and asked her what doctors are saying. Debi looked back over her shoulder as what were we two doing.

---“Doctor’s have advised for rest and no exams. They have asked for a MRI of my brain also.”

I was astonished to hear all these ---“When all these happened?”

---“Two days before, I fell in the bathroom and again my nose started to bleed.”

---“Why haven’t you called me then?”

---“Just like that, we thought why to bother you when everyone was around me.”

I relieved a deep sigh. My heart writhed in some unknown pain. Sharmi looked down to the tiled floor of the huge courtyard.

I observed a drop of tear on her nose tip; I was surprised to see her in that state. I looked at Debi and Paree; both were far from us, talking with each other.

She sobbed out in a timid whisper --- “Promise me one thing and don’t tell Debi.”

I touched her shoulder ---“What happened?”

I sensed a writhing pain deep inside my chest.

“Doctors have said that the veins connecting my nose and eyes with the frontal lobe of my brain are getting worsened.” She paused a little and looked to my face with sniveled eyes and quivering voice she said to me “I have very little time in my hand, Abhi. Tell Arindam to look after Debi if something happens to me.”

I felt large wave just crashed on my chest and blinded the sunrays in front of my eyes. I looked for Paree and Debi, they were nowhere in the sight. I felt how helpless I was, standing in front of Sarmishta. I took her in my arms and pressed my lips on her head. She stood as a stone effigy with no movement, only her back shook like a twig attacked by a huge cyclone.

Suddenly I felt a soft touch on my shoulder, I looked back to find Paree and Debi standing behind us looking at us with inquisitive eyes.

Paree asked me ---“What happened, why are yours eyes filled up?”

I promised Sarmishta and I had to keep her promise so I had to lie --- “She just got emotional, remembering the first incident of her bleeding nose.”

Debi yelled at Sharmi --- “Oh! My God, just by remembering that incident you two have got emotional.” She could not fathom the pain that I was harboring inside me, but Paree sensed that I was telling lie, there was something more behind those sniveled eyes. I gestured Paree with my eyes to keep quiet.

Debi said --- “See those twelve Shiva Temples. On the left corner there is a tree. People say that your wishes will be granted if you tie a thread to that tree. Why don’t we ask for our wishes also?”

Paree enjoyed the puerile nature of Debi and adhered to her. We walked to that tree. All four of us tied thread.

For the first time I was going to ask something from God, so I paused a bit as I felt myself as a beggar standing in the God’s place.

While tying the thread to tree trunk I asked from God “I want to see Debanjana and Sarmishta dancing, surrounded by our family members during my wedding with Suchismita.” I didn’t know whether God has heard this or not but I wanted my wish to be fulfilled very badly.

Chapter 3: Darkest Hour

----------------------------

Our exams just got over last week. For whole two months, April and May, Paree acted as my elder sister taking care of me, helping me with my studies and exams. She instructed me to study at the drawing room during the night so that she could keep a close watch on me. She changed herself to a very strict lady just like her ChotoMa. Several nights passed that I dozed off to sleep with the book under my head and in the morning I found that the book was closed and a bedcover spread out over me.

Several nights passed she sat in front of me reading some newspaper or reading some books all the time I was engaged in my studies. She used to bring me coffee whenever I felt sleepy or used to wipe my face with the corner of her night gown. I got scolded several times for not drawing properly during the revision of mechanics and optics. Mom closely watched us on first few days, she probably smelled some smoke bellowing between us but when she found Paree was sitting silently reading newspaper or any novels with all arrangements of coffee and snacks, her head became clear as water.

Paree built a huge wall between us after the first night kiss. I was unable to break that wall at any cost in these two months. Whenever I looked at her and asked her for a small peck, every time I was presented with a slap on my face or a small ruffle on my hairs. In these two months my EVE never sat near me, I also understood the importance of the situation and after sometime I also didn’t ask for any favour from her. Eventually Mother Nature won the battle with Menaka.

It was 22nd May 2001. (I have mentioned few dates in this tale. I felt those to be very important part of my life).

I was watching a movie on TV, lying on the long couch after dinner. Mom and dad do not like much of English movies and neither do Paree. It was my all time favourite movie “Gone with the wind” being aired on TCM channel. It was summer season and the over head fan was circling in full speed. Paree was in the kitchen with mom, keeping the utensils in the cupboard and washing the sink and the tiles. It was about thirty minutes past ten. Dad was preparing to retire to bed, suddenly the phone bell rang.

As dad was near to the phone he picked that to answer the call. As I was watching TV so I could not hear as what all conversation happened.

After sometime dad came in to the drawing room and looked at me, bit shaken.

I looked at my dad and asked as who had called.

Dad said ---“Bannerjee Uncle has called you at Belle Vue clinic at Shakespeare Sarani.”

I was surprised, my heart started to beat very fast ---“What happened and to whom?”

Paree heard our conversation and came running from the kitchen. Dad told her that Bannerjee Uncle means Debi’s dad has called me to the nursing home. Paree looked at me and became aware as what has happened. Mom was standing behind Paree.

I somehow got dressed up and was about to leave, dad called me and said that Paree wants to go with me. I looked at mom. Paree already got dressed and looked at mom with tearful eyes. Mom sensed that it would be useless to keep Paree at home.

Whole of the journey, Paree just kept quiet, clutched my hand tightly kept quiet. She knew that something very worse was to happen.

As we entered the courtyard of the nursing home, it was already dead night. Thirty minutes past eleven.

I saw Bannerjee Uncle, Sharmi’s dad and mom and Debi at the waiting area. Sharmi’s mom and Debi sat quietly at one corner of the hall. On seeing Paree, Debi came running towards her and hid her face in her lap and started to cry.

I went to Bannerjee uncle to ask as what has happened to Sarmishta.

He told me that, after the evening tea everyone was engaged in their works. Sarmishta was alone in her room arranging the cupboard by standing on a stool. She saw a spider coming out from the cupboard and she screamed out. She got disbalanced and fell from the stool; the handle of the cupboard hit the bridge of her nose and it started bleeding. At first they tried to stop the bleeding by calling the nearby doctor. He observed that some pus was coming out along with blood and he recommended taking her to hospital immediately. On arriving here at the Belle Vue, the doctors took her directly to the operation theatre.

I called at my home and informed about the situation. Dad asked me to take care of Paree and Debi.

I looked at the other end of the hall; I saw Arindam standing at one corner alone. Debi’s parent still does not know about Arindam so he kept himself away from the crowd. Slowly I walked towards him and asked him how he came to know. He told me that Debi called him, but here he found that every one of her family members to be present so he was unable to go near Debi.

I looked at Paree and wagged my palms and called her. Debi also saw Arindam standing with me. Paree helped Debi to stand up and we all four went to another corner of the hall, from where we were partially hidden from the sight of Bannerjee uncle. On seeing Arindam, Debi could not say anything but only her lips shook a little.

Paree took me away from them --- “Come, let them to be free for some time.”

I told Paree --- “If you leave Debi here, then a new scene will get created here, so no need to go anywhere. You stay with them while I go there.”

Each passing minutes felt like a year to me. I was anxiously walking up and down the corridor. Sharmi’s dad and mom were heavily perturbed as their only child was inside the operation theatre.

After sometime, Arindam called me and said that he can’t stay here all night as that might raise some eyebrows. He gave me his telephone number and asked me to call him if anything is needed.

Paree sat beside Debi, trying to console her. Her voice was also choked.

---“Nothing will happen to Sarmishta. That’s just a bleeding and the doctors will fix that.”

In my mind I shouted to God and reminded HIM about the plea that I asked for while I tied the thread to that tree at Dakhinehwar temple premises. I don’t know whether HE heard me or not.

Bannerjee uncle called me and asked me whether we want to have any tea or not. I asked Sharmi’s dad whether he wants anything to have or not. But parents’ hearts always writhe; he was not going to buzz till he gets any news from the OT.

At about four o’clock in the morning one doctor came out. All our eyes were fixed on him. Arteries pumping blood into the heart as fast as they can.

Debi clutched Paree’s hand with all might and closed her eyes.

The doctor said ---“The veins connecting to frontal lobe has got damaged. We are trying our best to fix something, but we can’t ensure. She is slipping in to coma. We can’t say anything till she regains her consciousness. We have to observe her for next seventy two hours in ICU before concluding anything.”

I looked at Paree; she is a very strong person. She held her tears greatly behind those big dark eyes and hugged Debi. Debi threw her around Paree’s neck and with all her might she has clutched her as a last straw. I came near them and kneeled down before those crying ladies.

Debi still has her head kept on Paree’s shoulder, and Paree was caressing her back to console her. Her eyes were also flooding with unknown fear.

Debi’s lips quivered a bit and she said to me which made my heart to collapse then and there.

---“You saved my sister once, bring her back to me again.”

Paree scolded her --- “Don’t say anything like this. Sarmishta is going to be alright. You are going to take her back home.” She looked at me with tearful eyes and said “Why don’t you say something, idiot.”

I tried to say something to Debi, just then Bannerjee Uncle approached us. It was morning outside.

Uncle asked me whether I want to go home or not. I told him that he should go taking the ladies with him and I along with Sharmi’s dad would stay.

Paree told me --- “Do you think Debi will buzz from here?”

Debi nodded her head and said that she does not want to leave till Sharmi open her eyes.

I went to aunt and asked her about her condition. Mother’s heart always pain. She also didn’t want to buzz.

I told Paree ---“It is your responsibility to take these ladies home while I and her dad stay here. Get them fresh and fresh yourself also as none of you have taken any food from yesterday night.”

With tearful eyes she said to me ---“How do I console a bleeding mother, whose child is inside ICU? Tell me?”

I took Paree to one corner and said to her ---“Just go. I know very well that we have very less time.”

She looked at me with full of question in her eyes --- “What do you mean by that?”

---“Sharmi, sensed beforehand that she didn’t have much time left in this world. Remember on the Dakhinehwar temple, I and Sharmi were standing in the middle of the huge courtyard. She said to me that if anything happens to her then I would ask Arindam to take care of Debi.”

Paree clutched my collar and with tears rolling down her red eyes --- “Why haven’t you told me this before?”

---“I promised her not to tell anyone.”

---“And now you break her promise? What type of person you are?”

---“I am just coping myself with the truth that has to come, Paree. Nothing else.”

She hid her face on my chest and my shirt soaked in her tears. I had no words to console her. After sometime, Paree looked at me.

---“You don’t cry easily, do you?”

---“At present I don’t have the luxury to shed my tears, Paree.”

---“How are you going to handle Debi and aunt?”

---“Time will heal them, but as of now let me handle them.”

Paree left my collar and walked to Debi, who was seated by side of her aunt, Sharmi’s mom.

I kneeled down before those ladies, took Debi’s and aunt’s hand in mine. Uncle, Sharmi’s dad, looked at me.

I spoke ---“Sarmishta is now in ICU and I and uncle are staying here. Doctors’ have said to wait for seventy two hours. It will be idiotic to stay here. You three go home with Bannerjee uncle, freshen up yourself and then if required I will call you and you can visit her.”

Both Sharmi’s dad and Bannerjee uncle nodded in accordance to my words.

Bannerjee Uncle took away all three ladies with him; he said to me that he will drop Paree at home. I knew that probably mom would be present at home by the time she reaches there.

After they departed I called Arindam to come to the nursing home.

Uncle was sitting with his head bent down and resting his head on his fist. I had no words to console anyone. Time was actually not passing.

Arindam came to nursing home at about ten o’clock. I called dad and said to him that Paree has gone to home. Dad asked me that what if she wants to go back to nursing home. I said that if she wants to go back then she will call him, I requested him to arrange some transport so that she can reach nursing home. Dad told me that he will talk to Bannerjee uncle if he can take Paree while he goes back to nursing home.

For the whole next six hours we all waited anxiously outside the ICU, expecting some good news.

At about four o’clock most of the family members arrived. I could not see Bannerjee uncle neither Debi. I asked Debi’s elder brother as where was his dad. Her brother told me that he has gone to our house to bring Paree as she called his dad at noon to bring her back to nursing home.

After sometime I saw Debi and Paree entering the waiting hall behind Bannerjee uncle. Debi’s face looked like calmness after storm. Paree looked bit fresh. Both the ladies eyes were sore red.

Paree came quietly and stood beside me. She asked me as what was the news. I told her that there was no news, neither good nor bad. Debi sat on a chair beside her mom rested her head on her fist and bowed down. Paree came near her and kept her arm on her shoulder. Debi looked at Paree’s face. None were in a position to say any words.

At about five thirty, we heard a commotion inside the ICU. Sharmi’s dad was called. The news came at last. Miss Sarmishta Bannerjee, a quiet calm timid girl, probably never hurt a fly in her life. The sweet girl who always kept quiet in the class, probably never quarreled with anyone in her whole life. Never spoke in loud voice with anyone. The only child, daughter of Mr. Subhankar Bannerjee and Mrs. Mala Bannerjee were no more among us.

A deep groan aroused from all the throats of all the family members present there. All pairs of eyes got deluged. Paree was also crying she held Debi in her arms. Debi hid her face on Paree’s chest, she held her as tight as she can.

I clenched my jaws as hard as I could to control the flood inside me and looked up to the ceiling and cursed GOD. I asked HIM repeatedly as why HE denied my pleas? I asked HIM repeatedly that there are several people in this world who are venomous and corrupt, why he has not taken them but plucked a tender flower like Sarmishta? If HE had real ears he could hear me, but alas, there was no one to hear my cries.

While I was asking those entire questions to The Almighty, Paree came and stood near me, with her deluged eyes she asked me to look at Debi.

I looked at her, she sat there dumbfounded, froze on the chair like a granite effigy. There were no tears in her eyes, no sensation on her body and no expression on her face. Her sight was fixed on the floor. She had her face between her palms with her elbow resting on her thighs. The look in her eyes was painstakingly expressionless. It seemed that her eyes were made of glass.

I called dad to give him the bad news, he was about to leave his office. I told him to come directly to Belle Vue and to take Paree home. He asked me whether she wants to go home or not.

---“Dad, just take her home. Here she will be more disturbed with each passing moment. What the fate had written on our forehead has happened, just take her away at least at home mom will be there to console her.”

---“What about you, you have not come home yet. When will you be returning?”

---“I can’t say dad. Probably only tomorrow morning I will be at home.”

I told Paree that she should go home.

---“Your Babu is coming to take you home.”

---“No I don’t want to leave. I want to go with you.”

---“Try to understand Paree. I don’t know when I will go home. I have lots of works to do now.”

---“Then I will stay with Debi.”

---“You can’t stay with her.”

She screamed at me ---“Why?”

---“A huge storm has gone over you from yesterday night. Even after that if you go with her to her house, then on reaching her house there will be another round of tears and mourning. Enough of that; Paree. Just go to your ChotoMa and take rest.”

She yelled out in her choked voice --- “Have you seen Debi? She is not even blinking her eyes, not even winching any muscle, she has become like a rock. If she doesn’t cry then it will be very hard for her. I need to stay with her.”

---“I will try to take care of her; she has got her family members also around her. For my sake just go home.”

Debi’s mom and his brother surrounded Debi as she was motionless. A new problem came up that if she doesn’t buzz or cry then this will hamper her.

We had to arrange for transport for carrying Sarmishta, for one last time to her house.

When Sarmishta was handed to us, Debi looked at her face coolly. She touched her cheeks and ruffled her hairs. She rubbed her palms all over the face of Sarmishta as if asking her to wake up from her sleep. Debi’s eyes did not blink for a second or her lips even did not quiver. She was only looking to the closed eyes of Sarmishta. Then she slowly stooped down on her face and kissed the ice cold forehead. She was so shocked that she forgot to speak up even. She then put her arms around Sarmishta’s neck and hid her face on her chest and lay there motionless. Most of us forgot to mourn for Sarmishta and watched Debi with horror as what the girl will do next. I looked at Paree and asked to pull up Debi somehow. Paree sat beside Debi and rubbed her back, she looked up to Paree’s face. No tears, no expression nothing. She was very calm, stood up coolly and walked away with Paree and sat on the chair.

Bannerjee uncle came near me and said to me that we should now leave for house.

Dad arrived and took away Paree with him. Before leaving she asked me to take care of Debi so as to make her cry.

Sarmishta was taken to her home. She was bedecked with white flowers and with a beautiful mauve coloured saree, her favourite colour. All the time Debanjana did not buzz from her side. For the whole time she sat beside her with her hand in her hand and gently tracing her fingers. As if her sister will wake up just now and talk with her. But alas Sarmishta would never wake up again.

At her home as we were about to start for her last journey I saw our friends from college. The time for last journey of Sarmishta arrived. Along with the cries, a deep voice was circling around to make Debi cry somehow. But she was in no mood to cry. As we all carried Sarmishta away from the gate, Debi walked up to the gate with us, saying nothing and then very calmly turned around and went away to her room. Most of the ladies did not accompany us to the Nimtola crematorium ground.

Sarmishta’s left for heavenly abode. That sweet calm and quiet girl left this dark world full of vengeance and fear and hatred. Her body burnt to ashes.

That day I had to behold the most pathetic scene in my entire life. A dotting father igniting the pyre of her only sweet daughter, I asked to GOD as to not to give this chance to any father.

Arindam and I sat beside the river and looked up the night sky. It was about one o’clock in the night.

Arindam asked me --- “What will happen to Debanjana if she doesn’t cry or show some emotions?”

---“You have to do something brother, if you want her really.”

---“You know her better than me. She is more attached to Suchi Di after Sarmishta so you two have to do something.”

I looked around to see whether there was anyone watching us. All the family members were seated under the shade. Arindam and I sat at the bank of the river.

After a long time I felt a deep urge to puff a cigarette and curse out loudly at the river or to the Heaven.

“YOU TOOK AWAY MY AFFINITION FOR ARTS AND PAINTING, YOU TOOK AWAY MY BEST FRIEND’S SISTER FROM HER AND NOW MY BEST FRIEND IS IN DANGER, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT ME TO BEAR? I AM AGAIN PLEADING TO YOU JUST DON’T TAKE AWAY MY LOVE FROM ME ELSE I WILL KNOW THAT THERE IS NO ONE NAMED GOD ON THIS EARTH. YOU ARE JUST A LIFELESS STONE STATUE. PROVE TO ME AT LEAST FOR ONCE THAT YOU EXIST.”